+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

couple questions

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
hey everyone, met my lovely wife in China while teaching ESL the last 7 years. recently got married and working on bringing her over here.
On form IMM5532 its asking my addresses the last 5 years. while in China the school I worked for always provided my address and anything I had mailed to me would just be sent to my school. I had no idea of my actual address, just the street/intersection and my apartment number. I lived in 3 different apartments over that time as well, didn't know any of the addresses. what should I write? I'm thinking I should just write on a separate piece of paper and explain the reason I didn't know my address. I can also supply them with the address of the school I worked for. any one have similar issues or any advice? also, when writing on a separate piece of paper, should I just create a word document and put the form number at the top and the related question number then just start writing? assuming i'll be doing this for a couple different forms, should I do each on a separate sheet of paper? and i'm emailing all these forms to my wife in China to sign then she'll mail it back to me. should she or I also sign these extra sheets of paper?

On the same form, Part C it asks about the family/friends who know about our relationship and to give info about those people. they are good friends and co-workers of us, and they didn't originally meet us on the same date, actually years apart. it asks "date they met sponsor or principal applicant" but I don't know if I should put the date they met me or the date they met my wife. thoughts?

thanks in advance anyone who reads or replies!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Second question first: friends/family members can indeed meet you at different times in your life. What that question asks is first who the person is connected to (sponsor or PA) and when they met the other person in the relationship. So, if the person was initially a friend of your wife and then met you, the date they met you is the date you put down.

As to your first question - surely you must know the address. You have to register with the Public Security Bureau every time you leave the country and come back. You should have the paper from the police station that is the "temporary registration of foreigner" record. If you honestly don't, you could try the Amap app and see if you can find the 街 or 弄 and then see if you can find building number from that. Failing that, put the school address down and write your letter of explanation basically as you have proposed. You don't need your wife to sign these letters of explanation.

Reactions: gtd1986

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
thanks for the speedy reply. honestly, I have no clue about my specific address while living in china. I would go to the police stations with a Chinese person from work once a year or whenever needed and I know they submit paperwork saying where I lived and such but I never saw nor understood nor needed to know anything about it. just show up and smile. in fact I think they filed paperwork for a few other teachers and said we all lived in the same place. very shady, but at the time it didn't seem to affect me in any way. I'll look into that app tho

imfullofhope

May 8, 2019
On form IMM5532 its asking my addresses the last 5 years. while in China the school I worked for always provided my address and anything I had mailed to me would just be sent to my school. I had no idea of my actual address, just the street/intersection and my apartment number. I lived in 3 different apartments over that time as well, didn't know any of the addresses. what should I write?
I think that you can contact ur school (if they helped u with renting an apartment) and ask them what were ur addresses. And if u worked for the same school for the past 7 years it should be easy then.

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
another question I just remembered!
so we are submitting our marriage certificates...they provide us with a little red booklet with our personal info etc. and a picture of the both of us. I need these to be translated, correct? just hers, or mine should also be submitted, right?
regarding if she has to submit her ID card, the government of Canada website says "Persons born in the People’s Republic of China since 1996 must submit a notarized copy of the original Medical Certificate of Birth issued by the Ministry of Health of the People's Republic of China" she was born in 1994 so she doesn't have to submit her ID correct?
and it says we need to provide a "Hukou" which seems to be some type of household registry thing. I've heard about it. i'm to assume this too must be translated. like every page in the booklet? she's an only child, im sure her parents have it somehwere
thanks again!

imfullofhope

May 8, 2019
so we are submitting our marriage certificates...they provide us with a little red booklet with our personal info etc. and a picture of the both of us. I need these to be translated, correct? just hers, or mine should also be submitted, right?
I assume that both marriage certificates are identical, so just one should suffice.
regarding if she has to submit her ID card, the government of Canada website says "Persons born in the People’s Republic of China since 1996 must submit a notarized copy of the original Medical Certificate of Birth issued by the Ministry of Health of the People's Republic of China" she was born in 1994 so she doesn't have to submit her ID correct?
I'm not sure what her ID card has to do with it. But if she was born before 1996, she can obtain her birth info at China Public Notary. They will provide a translated and notarized document.
and it says we need to provide a "Hukou" which seems to be some type of household registry thing. I've heard about it. i'm to assume this too must be translated. like every page in the booklet? she's an only child, im sure her parents have it somehwere
Your girlfriend definitely knows about it, every household in China has one. And yes, every single page needs to be translated and notarized at the same place.

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
I assume that both marriage certificates are identical, so just one should suffice.

I'm not sure what her ID card has to do with it. But if she was born before 1996, she can obtain her birth info at China Public Notary. They will provide a translated and notarized document.

Your girlfriend definitely knows about it, every household in China has one. And yes, every single page needs to be translated and notarized at the same place.
oops don't know why I said ID instead of birth certificate...she doesn't need to provide a copy of her ID from what I understand. And from how I read it, she doesn't need to provide her birth certificate either since she's born before 1996. when my wife gets the Hukou translated, I assume photocopies will suffice since the booklet is in her parents hometown far away. all documents that are translated must be notarized correct?
i apologize for my dumb questions, thanks again

imfullofhope

May 8, 2019
oops don't know why I said ID instead of birth certificate...she doesn't need to provide a copy of her ID from what I understand. And from how I read it, she doesn't need to provide her birth certificate either since she's born before 1996. when my wife gets the Hukou translated, I assume photocopies will suffice since the booklet is in her parents hometown far away. all documents that are translated must be notarized correct?
i apologize for my dumb questions, thanks again
She will definitely need her birth certificate it's just a bit different format, then for those who was born after 96's. This document will be provided by Notary Public. Ur wife will find out there, nothing is complicated. Hukou translated and notarized will be as same as the original.