+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Couple of Questions towards the end of the road

Vercetti

Star Member
Oct 21, 2010
First off: I got my passport request email!!!!! :p I am almost at the end of this hellish waiting game and could not be happier.

However, I do have a couple of questions:

1. It says in the e-mail that I can send in my passport or scans of all my passport pages. Whats the catch with this? Do they prefer my passport or what? Has anyone sent in copies of the pages before? I'm currently visiting in Canada and I'm a bit nervous about sending my passport through the mail.

2. Since I am in Canada, I am planning on sending my passport/copies to Fort Erie as opposed to the Buffalo Office. Anyone have experience with this situation that can tell me how their experience went? Am I better off sending it to Buffalo or does it even matter?

3. What exactly do they want my passport for? Are they putting something in to it?

As always,

Thank you guys so much!

awor

Nov 4, 2010
Oregon to Alberta
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> LA
App. Filed.......
26 Aug 2011
AOR Received.
15 Dec 2011
File Transfer...
[b]CPC-M to Buffalo:[/b] 03 Nov 2011 [b]Buffalo to LA:[/b] 19 Jan 2012
Med's Done....
11 Apr 2011 [b]Ecas shows received [/b]5 Mar 2012
Passport Req..
7 Mar 2012 [b]Decision Made[/b]: 1 Apr 2012
VISA ISSUED...
29 Mar 2012 [b] CORP Received[/b]: 19 Apr 2012
LANDED..........
Sumas: 25 April 2012 / [b]PR Cards Received[/b]: 4 July 2012
Congrats! I have the same questions for when my ppr arrives.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. As of Dec. 1, 2011, visa-exempt countries such as the United States will no longer be issued a counterfoil, which is essentially the sticker that goes in your passport that says, "visa" on it. Instead, they will send back to you the Confirmation of Permanent Residence which you will use to land. Hence, they don't need the physical passport, but they do need every single one of the pages from your passport photocopied (along with the other two items listed in the email) and won't accept just the photocopy of the bio-page.

2. You can check the Buffalo thread for personal experiences but I think most people who are in-country follow the instructions and send to Fort Erie, Ontario. They will pick it up and government courier it to Buffalo for examination.

3. For one, they need to see your passport validity in order to issue the landing papers (COPR), because as your PPR email noted, the COPR will have "a validity date indicated, and you must become a Permanent Resident on or before that date. The validity of the Confirmation of Permanent Resident documents cannot be extended." CIC officially says that the aforementioned expiry/validity date is "one year following the initial conclusion of your medical exams or the expiration date of your or any accompanying family-member's passport, whichever is earlier."

Vercetti said:
First off: I got my passport request email!!!!! :p I am almost at the end of this hellish waiting game and could not be happier.

However, I do have a couple of questions:

1. It says in the e-mail that I can send in my passport or scans of all my passport pages. Whats the catch with this? Do they prefer my passport or what? Has anyone sent in copies of the pages before? I'm currently visiting in Canada and I'm a bit nervous about sending my passport through the mail.

2. Since I am in Canada, I am planning on sending my passport/copies to Fort Erie as opposed to the Buffalo Office. Anyone have experience with this situation that can tell me how their experience went? Am I better off sending it to Buffalo or does it even matter?

3. What exactly do they want my passport for? Are they putting something in to it?

As always,

Thank you guys so much!

CanadiansWife

Sep 14, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 14, 2011
File Transfer...
Feb 03, 2012
Med's Done....
Nov 18, 2011
Passport Req..
Feb 23, 2012 (New Delhi recieved it March 24, 2012)
VISA ISSUED...
May 7, 2012
for question 1. I think that's only for VISA EXEMPT countries where you can just send in your passport scans.