+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Country specific requirement questions (Korea)?

yogi1222

Oct 24, 2016
Hello, everyone!

Me and my husband were married early this year and will be sending an inland spousal sponsorship application soon. I am Korean and my husband is Permanent Resident in Canada.

The problem is, do we need to provide Korean marriage certificate? The website shows that we need to include two documents: Family Relation Certificate and Marriage Relation Certificate as the "Country Specific Requirements" for Korea.

We have not been to Korea since the wedding and planning to do another ceremony much later and register the marriage from there much later, probably after the PR.

Thanks in advance!

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
did you marry in Canada or Korea ?

If you are married, you must provide the marriage certificate....

Marriage certificates
  • For spousal sponsorships, make sure you include a valid marriage certificate or proof of registration of your marriage with your application (see checklist details). The document(s) you submit must show that the marriage was legally registered with the government where it took place.
  • A record of solemnization (obtained in Canada) or marriage license will not be accepted as proof that the sponsor and applicant are married.
  • Check the country specific requirements to see if there are specific instructions for the country where the marriage took place.
Getting married in Korea

Since the Principal Applicant is Korean, you need to provide the Country Specific Requirements.....and may contact the Korean embassy, relatives or authorities in Korea for help with those documents.

Country specific requirements
Korea (Republic of) – Instruction(s) for documents
  • If the principal applicant holds a passport from this country, they must submit:
    • A copy and certified translation of the “Family Relation Certificate” issued within six months of the date of application.
    • A copy and a certified translation of your “Marriage Relation Certificate”.

yogi1222

Oct 24, 2016
did you marry in Canada or Korea ?

If you are married, you must provide the marriage certificate....

Marriage certificates
  • For spousal sponsorships, make sure you include a valid marriage certificate or proof of registration of your marriage with your application (see checklist details). The document(s) you submit must show that the marriage was legally registered with the government where it took place.
  • A record of solemnization (obtained in Canada) or marriage license will not be accepted as proof that the sponsor and applicant are married.
  • Check the country specific requirements to see if there are specific instructions for the country where the marriage took place.
Getting married in Korea

Since the Principal Applicant is Korean, you need to provide the Country Specific Requirements.....and may contact the Korean embassy, relatives or authorities in Korea for help with those documents.

• If the principal applicant holds a passport from this country, they must submit:
    • A copy and certified translation of the “Family Relation Certificate” issued within six months of the date of application.
We are married in Canada and yes, we have Canadian marriage certificate. But do we have to provide Korean marriage certificate as well? I can provide Korean marriage certificate that has no record if their purpose is to check my marriage history....

Last edited:

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
You only need to provide a marriage certificate from Canada where your got married.

Marriage certificates

If the Principal Applicant is Korean citizen or hold a Korean passport, you need to provide the Country Specific Requirements..

You may contact the Korean embassy in Canada, relatives or authorities in Korea for help with those documents.