+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Country for processing

ski

Nov 20, 2013
Hello everyone,

I am about to send out the application for my wife. But I had one doubt. She is a citizen of the Kyrgyz Republic but is currently in Kabul, Afghanistan on a contract with the UN for 6 months. I was wondering whether they would choose the local office according to her country of residence or would it be according to citizenship? She doesn't have a mailing address in Kyrgyz Republic as her relatives are moving around and mail could be lost. So her mailing address has been specified as Kabul.

It would be better not to have any processing/interview done in Kabul as her movement is restricted by the UN. Should I write a letter stating that her country should still be considered Kyrgyz Republic and that we will update her address once she is done with her contract? In case they need anything, she can apply for leave and go to Kyrgyz Republic and get it processed.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Well, it'll probably take a lot longer than 6 months if she ends up needing an interview. CIC tends to favour the applicant's country of citizenship. If that's the case, she'd have her application processed in Warsaw, Poland, not Kyrgyzstan. If it's sent to her current place of residence, it'll be in New Delhi. Now I am not sure if they also have the interviews there, how it works if the applicant needs a visa.

You can try writing a letter if you think Warsaw would be better, but there are no guarantees they will listen. It won't hurt to try, however.

ski

Nov 20, 2013
Thanks for the response. Yes, I guess the visa office will be decided by them. If I write a letter stating that she is there for a short while, maybe it will help. In any case, I am guessing New Delhi will have more wait times than Warsaw. That's another reason.

Thanks again.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
I *think* they will only process in the country of residence if the applicant is legally allowed to be there for at least 12 months. I think 6 mo. will be too short of a time for that to be approved and they will defer to her country of citizenship. While it wouldn't hurt to write a letter requesting the country of residence visa office, ultimately the decision is in the hands of CIC, so you really won't know until you submit the application and they tell you which office they send it to.