+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Couldn't able to file tax

Abbi2021

Jul 10, 2019
we arrived in Canada 2018. April we have been protected 2019 March after we have filed our PR in July 2019 and nice to better place. We got new friend he said we have to pay tax we were not aware totally how, where, what conditions we have to file tax. We thought tax has been paid since we are buying our living grocery paying rent food everything have tax we never know it has to be file CRA. Which all my new friend have told me.

My question is we were supposed to file 2018 tax in March 2019 which we are already delay and know August we cannot file. My friend suggest I can file 2020 match for 2 years tax this 1 year I have work and we were on Ontario works since we came as refugee. So please do help for our tax or your advice. Thanks.

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
we arrived in Canada 2018. April we have been protected 2019 March after we have filed our PR in July 2019 and nice to better place. We got new friend he said we have to pay tax we were not aware totally how, where, what conditions we have to file tax. We thought tax has been paid since we are buying our living grocery paying rent food everything have tax we never know it has to be file CRA. Which all my new friend have told me.

My question is we were supposed to file 2018 tax in March 2019 which we are already delay and know August we cannot file. My friend suggest I can file 2020 match for 2 years tax this 1 year I have work and we were on Ontario works since we came as refugee. So please do help for our tax or your advice. Thanks.
If you have income in 2018 then you need to file a tax return. You can get a 2018 tax filing software, fill in the required information, print the return out and mail it into CRA.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would approach a refugee organization and see if there is someone who can provide you some help. Guessing if you didn’t know taxes exist that perhaps doing your own might be difficult even if it is relatively simple. You will need to file your taxes to continue to receive your various benefit payments so you should not wait until next year. Would google the tax system in Canada. There are both provincial and federal taxes on top of sales taxes.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
If you were on Ontario Works , you should of received a T5007/ Statement of Benefits , you’ll need that to file that years taxes
As noted above unless you file your taxes the Government will not know what benefits you may be eligible for either provincially or federally . Note ; not being aware that you had to file your taxes , doesn’t absolve you of your responsibility to do so
Some refugee organizations have teamed up with the CRA in providing outreach services
In assisting new residents on their obligations

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/campaigns/outreach-program.html#vst

Last edited: