+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COULD THERE BE AN INTERVIEW? & SHOULD I REQUEST MY CAIPS FILES?

wawaprince

Star Member
Mar 27, 2009
Hi,
I wanted to know if my application looks promising, & if someone knows how much longer until I get my PR.

I am a computer engineer, citizen of Libya, 32 years old, Living in Belgium, working in my own Company which is specialized in the IT field since 2006. I speak fluently FRENCH & ENGLISH.

I took the self assessment test, & based on the interpretation of the data, I get between 76-83 POINTS

My wife is sponsoring me & we chose "PARIS" as the visa office to process the application outside.

1st PART: Sponsorship
File was received in Mississauga on April 1st 2008
Application processing started on April 24th 2008
Sponsorship decisions was issued & Accepted on July 3rd 2008.

2nd PART: Immigration in Paris
Application processing started on July 11th 2008
Medical result were received on July 11th 2008

I received a letter from PARIS dated "July 11th 2008, saying that they received my application, processing time is 6-12 month....

-My Canadian visitor visa expires, So I apply by mail for a new one in Paris .... I am anxious because of the PR application, ...but luckily, I got without an interview, a 2 years Multiple entry VISA.

-I received another letter on January 12, 2009, requesting that I my sponsor pays the landing fee of 490$ & that I undergo another Medical exam (1st medical exam was done in "Jan 25th 2008" & was expiring soon )

-I did the medical exam, and the Dr. told me everything was perfect & that he sent the results to Paris.
-my sponsor "Wife" has already paid the Landing fee online 2 weeks ago, but apparently they didn't know that yet.
-On January 15th 2009, I sent a letter to the immigration in PARIS letting them know of those two updates (Medical DONE, Landing fee PAID by sponson with Receipt# .... ) using (FAX, EMAIL, & Registered mail)

in the light of recent changes in the immigration system, I received another letter on Feb 3rd 2009, requesting additional information:
1) Police certificate from Libya (this is completely new, & was never needed from Libyan citizen prior 2009)
2) Information on activities & all my residences for 2007-PRESENT. on a separate sheet of paper.
CONDITION: the information must be sent within 90 days, or the application will be examined based on the available information, which may lead to a refusal.

-I sent all the information within 30 days on a separate sheet of paper, & the Original police certificate, after translation & proper legalization by the Canadian embassy in Tripoli/Libya... & now it's almost 60 days since the original letter was issued.

Relationship Background:
My wife & I are married since 2003, with a recognized marriage certificate, that was sent as a copy with our application, & it's our 1st marriage for the both for us.
she is a Canadian citizen, working, & have never had any criminal convictions, & neither do I, anywhere in the world...
We have the same age. 32
We have known each other for 9 years, have been engaged since 2001, & have had a joint bank account since 2001 until now + a joint credit card (an original letter from the RBC Royal bank was sent to CIC, as well as a pictures-time line album since 2001-2009)
My wife & I visit each other often, I go to Canada 6 times/year, & she comes to Belgium at least 2 times / year, without ever overstaying "Max. 5 months"
Our respective families know well each other very well (parents, brothers, sisters, cousins, uncles, aunts)
-Last year in January, we've had our 1st baby boy!! he is a Canadian citizen, & was born born in Canada with my last name. (a copy of a birth certificate was also sent to CIC)

My wife applied 2 months after our 1st son was born, & we reported every detail truthfully....

HOW LONG DO I STILL HAVE TO WAIT, & WHAT COULD THERE BE NEXT?
I DIDN'T GET ANY REQUEST FOR INTERVIEWS, COULD THERE STILL BE ONE? (our relationship looks pretty genuine)
while waiting... SHOULD I REQUEST MY CAIPS FILES?

Thank you for any comments, or advice.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Re: Does this look Okay? this delay is kind of worrying me???

Hi

wawaprince said:
Hi,
I wanted to know if my application looks promising, & if someone knows how much longer until I get my PR.

I am a computer engineer, citizen of Libya, 32 years old, Living in Belgium, working in my own Company which is specialized in the IT field since 2006. I speak fluently FRENCH & ENGLISH.

I took the self assessment test, & based on the interpretation of the data, I get between 76-83 POINTS

My wife is sponsoring me & we chose "PARIS" as the visa office to process the application outside.

1st PART: Sponsorship
File was received in Mississauga on April 1st 2008
Application processing started on April 24th 2008
Sponsorship decisions was issued & Accepted on July 3rd 2008.

2nd PART: Immigration in Paris
Application processing started on July 11th 2008
Medical result were received on July 11th 2008

I received a letter from PARIS dated "July 11th 2008, saying that they received my application, processing time is 6-12 month....
-I received another letter on January 12, 2009, requesting that I my sponsor pays the landing fee of 490$ & that I undergo another Medical exam (1st medical exam was done in "Jan 25th 2008" & was expiring soon )

-I did the medical exam, and the Dr. told me everything was perfect & that he sent the results to Paris.
-my sponsor "Wife" has already paid the Landing fee online 2 weeks ago, but apparently they didn't know that yet.
-On January 15th 2009, I sent a letter to the immigration in PARIS letting them know of those two updates (Medical DONE, Landing fee PAID by sponson with Receipt# .... ) using (FAX, EMAIL, & Registered mail)

in the light of recent changes in the immigration system, I received another letter on Feb 3rd 2009, requesting additional information:
1) Police certificate from Libya (this is completely new, & was never needed from Libyan citizen prior 2009)
2) Information on activities & all my residences for 2007-PRESENT. on a separate sheet of paper.
CONDITION: the information must be sent within 90 days, or the application will be examined based on the available information, which may lead to a refusal.

-I sent all the information within 30 days on a separate sheet of paper, & the Original police certificate, after translation & proper legalization by the Canadian embassy in Tripoli/Libya... & now it's almost 60 days since the original letter was issued.

Relationship Background:
My wife & I are married since 2003, with a recognized marriage certificate, that was sent as a copy with our application, & it's our 1st marriage for the both for us.
she is a Canadian citizen, working, & have never had any criminal convictions, & neither do I, anywhere in the world...
We have the same age. 32
We have known each other for 9 years, have been engaged since 2001, & have had a joint bank account since 2001 until now + a joint credit card (an original letter from the RBC Royal bank was sent to CIC, as well as a pictures-time line album since 2001-2009)
My wife & I visit each other often, I go to Canada 6 times/year, & she comes to Belgium at least 2 times / year, without ever overstaying "Max. 5 months"
Our respective families know well each other very well (parents, brothers, sisters, cousins, uncles, aunts)
-Last year in January, we've had our 1st baby boy!! he is a Canadian citizen, & was born born in Canada with my last name. (a copy of a birth certificate was also sent to CIC)

My wife applied 2 months after our 1st son was born, & we reported every detail truthfully....

HOW LONG DO I STILL HAVE TO WAIT, & WHAT COULD THERE BE NEXT?
I DIDN'T GET ANY REQUEST FOR INTERVIEWS, COULD THERE STILL BE ONE? (our relationship looks pretty genuine)
while waiting... SHOULD I REQUEST MY CAIPS FILES?

Thank you for any comments, or advice.
CHC probably has no doubts about the marriage, but your citizenship is the stumbling block. It is quite possible that you will be requested to have a security interview. But with the request for RPRF it would appear that you are getting close to the end.

PMM

wawaprince

Star Member
Mar 27, 2009
Re: SPONSORING LIBYAN HUSBAND. Does this look Ok? this delay is kind of worrying me!

that makes perfect sense to me, since some of the information they've requested was already provided as BLANK since they didn't apply.

One questions was "If I was, or still am a remember of an organization, vocational, cultural, professional....."
The other question was "If i was a judge, public servant, or a police officer..."

I answered truly, as both are "NO's" with maybe an exception wich i mentionned "I was volunteering in 2001-2002, managing the basketball hoops on Friday evenings for teenagers (10-17) in Orleans, ontario's YMCA" if that could qualify as a "YES"

By the way, these questions felt right away, that the concern was security, perhaps the probability of an activist from the Libyan regime, revolutionary committees, & revolutionary guard ... ect.

It is also a fact, & common knowledge that my father as well as many of my family members are known diplomats in Libya, & they know that..
I also trained in the military for a few months, but that information was already provided in the original application, with rank & serial number. (Military training in Libya is always mandatory)

thanks for your comments, could there be anything else?

WHAT IS A SECURITY INTERVIEW?

colsy

Star Member
Mar 27, 2009
I wouldn't worry. You come across as someone of honesty and integrity. If you explain yourself the way you explain yourself here, you will be fine.

My feeling is that your nearing the end and you will be with your wife very soon. Best of luck to you both!

wawaprince

Star Member
Mar 27, 2009
Okay, so there is no particular need to worry, nor to request the CAIPS notes.

Thanks for your comment,
I really appreciate the encouraging, as I do miss my family very much, I can't wait to settle, get a SIN#, establish a business, get a house & all....

colsy

Star Member
Mar 27, 2009
I know the feeling Wawa. I have just started the process, and I am already worried about a lot of things :)

By the way if requesting CAIPS Notes will ease the worry burden, I would go ahead and do it to give yourself a peace of mind. Maybe being fully prepared is not a bad idea.

In any case, I am sure in the near future you will make a post that you are leaving for Canada.

wawaprince

Star Member
Mar 27, 2009
Thank you very much for all your comments. I feel a lot more relaxed about this application, I think it's gonna be okay.

I will request my CAIPS if I'm still waiting passed the 10th of May 2009 at which point, they should have had the 90 days, to review the application & make a decision as described in the last letter.

Or if they request an interview with a 6 weeks notice (that should be enough for me to get the CAIPS on time)

wawaprince

Star Member
Mar 27, 2009
Strange delay!!

Hi everyone, i'm finding this strange that the Paris office is taking so long finnishing processing my application, so far, the asnkowledgement letter was sent on July 11th 2009, & the clock is closing up soon to a FULL YEAR.

Time at which usually, it's is possible to inquire about your status, since anything between 6-12 month is considered a normal delay.

I've got a letter on Feb 3rd 2009 requesting additional information within 90 days, or a final decision would be taken based on the current information. They've requested an original Libyan police certificate + a few additional background declaration answers. All these documents & request info were prepared & sent promptly within 30 days.

I thought that I would see some progress after the 90 days (Estimated: May 5th 2009) but there still nothing as of today ....

CIC in Paris has already requested me to alert my sponsor to pay the FRPR + a new Medical visit on January 2009, which I have completed successfully & sent them a proof of the FRPR receipt paid by my spouse in Canada on November 2008 to correct this matter.

So since this Feb. letter, & the 90 days + 40 extra days ... what could possibly take so long, is this normal, I am beginning to worry... CAIPS or not? Advice please...

I am definitely going to make a written inquiry after the usual 12MONTHS delay, but how & what can I say to expedite & move things positively?

genio

Star Member
Dec 27, 2008
Hi. The waiting thing is hard, but worse, is you feel left in the dark as to what , assumimg something , is happening in the background. Amazingly, ( and I am happy for the good people), many have their PR within only 4-8 months. Like many, I sent all my documents to Miss, almost 11 months ago. My wife is in Colombia. Of course she is sad. We will probably not spend our first marriage anniversary together. My reason for posting here is,,I recieved my CAIPS notes stamped May 04/2009. The only thing they kept saying was , her file would be brought forward Mar. 30/2009 for rev. ( I assume =review). So, unless ones time line is un-usually long, you may not find much info on those notes. I just sent a note to my MP. I have no idea if she can get things moving any faster, but at least hopefully, I will know more what to expect.1month? 5 months? I have read some people seem to have gotten help when their MP's made inquiries on their behalf. Best of success to all!

Rasha

Apr 26, 2008
GEnio,

you are right about the MP. I spoke with mine today. And CIC does not like the MP's requesting until the file has been in the field 3 months from the date of open processing on E-cas. That said mine said he will be there to contact them for me when that time period has elapsed. We are also in the capital, but I don't know if that will have any bearing on quickness of response. I messaged him and he emailed me back a very long note with suggestiosn etc.. within an hour. I hope everyone's MP is as kind.

wawaprince

Star Member
Mar 27, 2009
Does CIC treat people the same?

I found our MP http://www2.parl.gc.ca/Parlinfo/Files/Parliamentarian.aspx?Item=6696452b-1ef5-449d-9002-fd1b57fb0c12&Language=E

Our file has been in process for over 14 months now, & for 11 months in Paris, however the Paris visa office says that normal processing is 6-12 months, so that means 1 more month to go? RIGHT?

I am not sure what our MP is gonna be able to do for our file, but if it's as little as giving us a little insight or any support yo expedite our file, it will always be something we'd welcome.
Any idea on what would be the proper way of contacting & approaching the MP?

P.S: I really feel sometimes that CIC has no regards to the well fair of families nor their struggles. we have a growing up 16 months old baby, & he needs me & his mother, but whatever we make, gets mostly spent on Air transportations & short leaves, just so we can maintain a healthy contact & compensate for the distance, while other things are urgently in need to be done, like getting a SIN#, finding a job, to get a HOME... all being on hold because of it.

TRUE STORY (Ours)

I know that this might sound like an old cliché, but being Arabic or Muslim doesn't help with CIC these days, especially since 2001. Unofficially at least!
Some people argue on that, but from 1st & 2nd hand experience, it adds more difficulties, & extra background checks.

I remember where I was denied 3x times a return visa to Finnish my engineering studies in Ottawa university, during 2001-2003, after which my finance & I had to be apart for 2 years.

Immirgation was very sketchy regarding the reasons of the denial. After 2 years of struggles & searching in human rights, I fount out that this denial had 7 conflits with the humain right chart.

My Fiance had to fly overseas, & after meeting my family, she got married to me in 2003. on the 4th attempt for a visitor visa, I've brought a Clean police records from the RCMP, letters from school school (proof of paid tuitions & registration) , 2 tittles of properties, a list of personal belonging & 2 joint accounts statements+ a legalized marriage certificate (from abroad) Letters of invitation & sponsorship from my wife and a respectable Canadian oil company.. about 13 supporting documents JUST TO SAY THAT THERE WAS NO EXCUSE & at the end, a forth denial was on it's way, ... I asked the CIC officer to sign on a paper that I've prepared for the occasion the preceding day, The document stated that I've applied this day, showed the following 13 supporting documents, & explained the motivations of my visit, & that the result of this was DENIAL or APROVAL (CHECK ONE)

The CIC officer refused to sign, & began questioning her expedited decision, & whether she would overturn the previous 3 denials, as she didn't want to sign, & started requesting additional information/questions such as: "why wouldn't your wife come visit you?" , So I've presented my wife's boarding pass slip as proof of her visit! & returned the question, "why would I not be allowed to reciprocate the visit, hasn't Canada recognized human rights in the 60's? ..."

I also pointed out that we also have 2 joint accounts together (OVER 3 YEARS of statements), & that I help paying most of the bills with proof of wires & receipts" she was very compelled by the air tight arguments, & she decided to overturn the 3 previous denials that day.

a few minutes later, the CIC officer disclosed to me the main reason of the previous DENIAL "You over stayed!"
I was shocked: I found it FUNNY so while smiling, I pulled out of my pocket my original student authorization which was still valid for another 2 years (Expiry 31st Nov. 2004)!!! I showed it to the CIC Officer, & asked her "How can you explain this? ... if I was registered, my tuitions being paid in full, with a valid study permit that has still today another 2 years of validity! How could I possibly have been overstaying in Canada, since I was OUT for over 2 years, & this is clearly a still valid????

Shocked! The CIC Officer said: "there must be a mistake somewhere..."
Me smiling: "Yes, a very unfortunate miss understanding"

that mistake cost us 2 years of our lives, ever since that day, I have never felt welcome in Canada, I kept visiting without any intentions nor motivation to become PR, & despite any advantage this might bring to our family, I prefer the idea that my spouse moves out, & go to a more welcoming place... but after several visa emissions from Paris, & the strong attachement if my wife to Canada, & one of the CIC officers in Tunis during a visa process suggested me that I should apply for PR.... So, I began to feel welcome again!! & I finally decide with my spouse to apply.

but with such acolorful history with the Visa office in Paris, the current delay in processing time & what I hear regarding prejudice, I am really not sure anymore!
(A Canadian citizen goes to Sudan to visit family, & he ends up 5 years caught off from his 2 kids, until the supreme court decides to orders the government to Canada to take action within 30 days .... ) I am sorry, but in my opinion, CIC has a long way to go.
I have a score between 75-85 from worse to best within the self assesment test, I speak 5 languages (French & English) among them, I have an engingeering degree, no criminal records anywhere, my relationship with my wife is 10 years old, & we have a son to raise.

why won't CIC treat people equal rather performing this DOUBLE STANDARD on certain people?

Rasha

Apr 26, 2008
WAW - you have a very compelling story, indeed. Inshaa'allah it will pass soon for you guys, but I def. feel your grief!

genio

Star Member
Dec 27, 2008
WAW, that is a sad story. I want to be careful ,as I am sure there are a lot of good people working in Canadian immigration and probably not an easy job at times, but for what it is worth, my niece is married to a canadian customs official. I talked to him last week for a while. He told me bluntly, canadian immigration is a real mess. We are probably all wise on here, to have positive attitudes, but to really give careful attention to our situations, as there have probably been a lot of really good people left out in the cold as they did not know their rights, or made enough serious efforts to keep informed of their cases. I for one have far too much to lose. So, again, hoping to hear something from my M.P. Interesting that a friend told me quite a while back that I should do that, as that is why they have their job.

Tara_W

Apr 8, 2009
Hi,

I hope your case gets sorted soon and you're reunited with your family. The stories I read up here... it must be very distressing, I can't imagine. From everything you described, your situation seems pretty clearcut and you've followed the rules at all times.

I'm sorry you feel you're being victimised but I think that's the nature of custom and immigration officials everywhere, not just in Canada. There's just so much red tape, suspicion and bureaucracy involved that there's no room for dealing with people on a warmer, human level. It does't help when the system is overstretched and a bit messy as well. Here's an example: I visit my family living in Canada frequently. Every single time I arrive in Toronto, I get the 3rd degree from a grim-faced official in the customs hall- what am I doing here, where am I staying, with whom, what's the address, for how long am I staying etc. All of this and I'm a Canadian citizen, born there, to Canadian citizens, with a Canadian passport! I just happen to live in Ireland. Its even worse when I arrive with my Irish fiance in tow.

If you're interested in getting touch with an MP, you can find out who they are with this link:

http://canada.gc.ca/directories-repertoires/direct-eng.html#mp

I hope that helps.

I also hope that your opinion of Canada and it's people changes, once all of this is behind you. I think you'll find that in the majority, ordinary people will be very welcoming. With your skills, you'll have a great quality of life and will hopefully be happy in the knowledge that your baby son is going to grow up with his Dad around.

Best of luck,
Tara

wawaprince

Star Member
Mar 27, 2009
My opinion of Canada & it's great people has not been tamed by my experiences with one particular section of it's government agencies.

CIC has no feelings toward me, so I should do the same... it's just a messy agency, overstretched, with it's bureaucracy that's often influenced with the politics of the moment, which could be favorable, & sometimes not... So nothing personal on that level.

However being aware of the mess, & prejudice will help me better understand it, & to be prepared when dealing with them the next time.

Thank you guys for your warm support, it helps knowing that there are human beings out there, & that we are not alone.