RichL

Jun 25, 2019
EDIT: Quebec is off the table.

Thanks guys, appreciate the assistance.

Last edited:

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
First of all, Quebec or more to the point Montreal would be my preference anyway.

If you don't want the back story, just skip to the bottom under the margin.

My partner and I filled in the points requirement test for both "the rest of Canada" and Quebec.

To our surprise, nothing we could do would get us past the CRS requirements (476) as we got 421 BUT when filling in the Quebec test, we got more than the required 59 points. The requirements are completely different and our skills seem to be more valued in Quebec.

This is probably our last hope of moving to Canada in any way we can think of. I have always wanted to go back and finish my French (I did GCSE but never persued it after that) and so has she (same deal).

Quebec's points system seems more welcoming to us in our situation for whatever reason and as a Canadiens fan (GO HABS GO!) that suits me just fine, ha.

Of course, I'm still extremely cautious but also starting to become optimistic as well.

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the most reliable test of our eligibility online?

Does anyone know what B2 "High Intermediate" would class as in terms of our education level in the UK?

Can it really be true that a City & Guilds level 2 in Social Care is more valued than a 1-year degree?

Am I reading it right that you would get 1 point for just having visited Quebec for 2 weeks and 2 points for 3 months?

If we do actually qualify and reach over the golden "59 points" mark, is there another points scoring test after that?

I hope this is the right way to lay this thread out, if not just let me know and I'll change it.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Others can answer you point by point. Without discouraging you all I can say is look for other options as Quebec immigration is black hole. People who are stuck here lament on their decision. Arrima point system doesn't guarantee you an invitation unlike CRS scores where it's transparent. Arrima is currently inviting Bill 9 affected people and those with VJO - Validated Job Offer. Have you tried exploring AIP program wherein you can apply for PR after accepting job offer and you have work permit. Depends what kind of job experience you have - Yukon territory, Municipal pnp are other options. Quebec under the current government isn't immigration friendly - please check the threads here of those in serpentine line for years to get PR.

Reactions: scylla

RichL

Jun 25, 2019
Others can answer you point by point. Without discouraging you all I can say is look for other options as Quebec immigration is black hole. People who are stuck here lament on their decision. Arrima point system doesn't guarantee you an invitation unlike CRS scores where it's transparent. Arrima is currently inviting Bill 9 affected people and those with VJO - Validated Job Offer. Have you tried exploring AIP program wherein you can apply for PR after accepting job offer and you have work permit. Depends what kind of job experience you have - Yukon territory, Municipal pnp are other options. Quebec under the current government isn't immigration friendly - please check the threads here of those in serpentine line for years to get PR.
Not the response I was hoping for but thank you none the less.

We smashed the initial score out of 90 on "normal" Canadian entry but we can only get to 421 on the CRS and even if we got a high intermediate score in French, we can only get to 463. I'm led to believe the minimum score to get out of the pool in the recent intake was 471.

I don't see anyway to make up the points and actually given our ages, 33 and 37, we will lose far more points than we can gain.

It would seem it is not meant to be.

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017

We smashed the initial score out of 90 on "normal" Canadian entry but we can only get to 421 on the CRS and even if we got a high intermediate score in French, we can only get to 463. I'm led to believe the minimum score to get out of the pool in the recent intake was 471.

I don't see anyway to make up the points and actually given our ages, 33 and 37, we will lose far more points than we can gain.

If you read my comment again, I mentioned about programs aside from CRS and Quebec, they aren't point based (as in EE pool but the points are localized to province and program). A correction to previous post - A miniscule percent got Arrima invite even though they weren't Bill 9/VJO, so if you wanna give a try go for it, but please read other threads beforehand to know the actual situation here. There are few more but with covid-19 things have gone slow and job market as you know isn't as vibrant. Don't give up.
All the best

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Stay away from the Quebec program.

As the poster said above, if you don't have enough points for Express Entry (421 is not enough), research the Provincial Nominee Programs.

Reactions: Immstu and RichL

RichL

Jun 25, 2019
If you read my comment again, I mentioned about programs aside from CRS and Quebec, they aren't point based (as in EE pool but the points are localized to province and program). A correction to previous post - A miniscule percent got Arrima invite even though they weren't Bill 9/VJO, so if you wanna give a try go for it, but please read other threads beforehand to know the actual situation here. There are few more but with covid-19 things have gone slow and job market as you know isn't as vibrant. Don't give up.
All the best
Sorry, I missed that. It has been a long day and I'm struggling to sleep tonight. I appreciate the advice.

Reactions: Immstu