+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Could I apply for Canada immigration from the US?

May 23, 2006
Hi, I am a Colombian citizen, and I've lived in the US for about 10 years; I am not a permanent resident or a US Citizen; I was granted "withholding of removal" by an immigration judge after denying my application for political asylum.

Since "withholding of removal" doesn't give me the right to adjust my status to permanent resident, I've decided to apply for permanent residence in Canada as a Skilled Worker.

My question is....could I apply to Canada permanent residence from the US to the Canadian visa office in Bufalo with my current status? (or do I have to apply in my home country?)

Thank you!!

rajkadia

Oct 26, 2005
As far as I know, you have to be legal resident of US if you wish to apply from US for Canada immigration.

Hope this would help.

Raj

okwama2002

Star Member
Mar 6, 2011
Halo,
You are a documented immigrant and the US government is aware of your presence here since an immigration judge stopped your removal. You can therefore apply for Canadian residence from here. However the Canadian government will ask u if u applied for asylum and failed. To sort out this, you may need a lawyer. Dont leave the US and go to Colombia because there is no guarantee that you will get PR there.

Sep 6, 2011
I thought he's not a documented immigrant because the "withholding of removal" doesn't give him the right to adjust his status to permanent resident which means the process of his application for political asylum. What do you think, okwama?? ;D