+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Correct NOC for Import Coordinator job title

dergas

Aug 24, 2016
Hi all,

I am applying through the Express Entry like many of you, I got here in Canada by the CEC (Canadian Experience Class) and I am having difficulties to classify my job under the correct NOC. After completing my business diploma I got a job as "Import Coordinator", but this job title does not exist exactly like this form in any of the NOC.

Initially I was hoping to apply under NOC 1215 because one of the example titles is "import traffic supervisor" and the duties are closer to mine than any other NOC. The thing is this position is supervisor level, which implies that I am supposed to supervise other workers (not my case I just coordinate with others departments) and CIC might question if I really am at supervisor level after reviewing my company letter.

So CIC could for example say I should be classified as the NOC 1452 (Import Clerk skill lvl C not valid for EE) even though my duties are way more complex and I have much more responsibility.

I would love to know you guys thoughts about this matter, I am very worried as 2 immigration agents that I consulted are not so sure about my NOC as well after reading the letter from my company (I can put the duties below if anyone is interested to see them).

Thank you and good luck for us all!

Nikhilsai

Star Member
Nov 24, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
B-1215
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi There,

I am also in the same position as you are. My title is "Logistics Coordinator" all the duties I do is related to the Ocean Freight Coordinator NOC 1215.
I also coordinate with the other department and overseas office but do not have any supervisor duties involved.

Please let me know how did your application go.

Thanks and regards,
Nikhil

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dergas said:
Hi all,

I am applying through the Express Entry like many of you, I got here in Canada by the CEC (Canadian Experience Class) and I am having difficulties to classify my job under the correct NOC. After completing my business diploma I got a job as "Import Coordinator", but this job title does not exist exactly like this form in any of the NOC.

Initially I was hoping to apply under NOC 1215 because one of the example titles is "import traffic supervisor" and the duties are closer to mine than any other NOC. The thing is this position is supervisor level, which implies that I am supposed to supervise other workers (not my case I just coordinate with others departments) and CIC might question if I really am at supervisor level after reviewing my company letter.

So CIC could for example say I should be classified as the NOC 1452 (Import Clerk skill lvl C not valid for EE) even though my duties are way more complex and I have much more responsibility.

I would love to know you guys thoughts about this matter, I am very worried as 2 immigration agents that I consulted are not so sure about my NOC as well after reading the letter from my company (I can put the duties below if anyone is interested to see them).

your NOC shall match your duties and not the name of your position (different companies have different names of positions). If your duties match the 1215 NOC, that that is your NOC.

Nikhilsai

Star Member
Nov 24, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
B-1215
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vensak said:
your NOC shall match your duties and not the name of your position (different companies have different names of positions). If your duties match the 1215 NOC, that that is your NOC.
Hi Vensak,

Thanks for the response. My duties match few of few of the ones mentioned under 1215.
Also 1215 says Supervisor "," Supply chain etc. which means supervisors and coordinators too fall under the same category right ?
Since I perform the duties but I do have any supervisory duties that's why i am little concerned.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nikhilsai said:
Hi Vensak,

Thanks for the response. My duties match few of few of the ones mentioned under 1215.
Also 1215 says Supervisor "," Supply chain etc. which means supervisors and coordinators too fall under the same category right ?
Since I perform the duties but I do have any supervisory duties that's why i am little concerned.
Supervisors in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:

With that said, it does not mean that you actually have to supervise or manage people directly. Supervising can be in the sense, that you check the first entries and do the decisions or correct it and contact clerks that did it. That job also requires higher amount of independence.
So when it comes to writing reference letter, important is wording, so they understand that you are alone standing responsible for more important work, which includes checking and approving others request.

Nikhilsai

Star Member
Nov 24, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
B-1215
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vensak said:
Supervisors in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:

With that said, it does not mean that you actually have to supervise or manage people directly. Supervising can be in the sense, that you check the first entries and do the decisions or correct it and contact clerks that did it. That job also requires higher amount of independence.
So when it comes to writing reference letter, important is wording, so they understand that you are alone standing responsible for more important work, which includes checking and approving others request.
HI Vensak ,

It makes sense. just for your reference.
following are my duties

Coordinating the routings for shipments associated to all modes of transport (Air, Ocean,
Ground and Intermodal Services)
 Prepare all necessary shipping documentation related to international bookings and process all
import/export documentation to clearing agents to include: (Master and house Bill of Ladings,
HAWB's, MAWB's, AES's, Manifest, Shipping Instructions, Cargo Declaration, Certificate of
Origin, etc.
 Dispatch pick-ups to authorized agents and drayage companies, shipping lines, airlines, trucking
companies, clearing agents, warehouses, and all other parties involved in the shipment, all while
maintaining a cost effective balance between customer service and cost of shipment
 Tracking, tracing, and updating the status of ocean, air and road shipments on the company
software on a daily basis and proactively inform the customers
 Troubleshoot any problems with shipments (i.e. shipments held at border, Notices of Action)
 Issue Export and import Insurance certificate as applicable
 Verify adherence of documentation to customs, insurance, or regulatory requirements and
make arrangements with customs brokers to ensure that the goods and documents comply with
customs regulations
 Prepare weekly or monthly specific cargo report for specific VIP account
 Responsible to resolve internal operations problems on a diligent and business efficient manner
in order to prevent service deficiencies and/or customers' dissatisfaction
 Effective communication with customers, vendors, other overseas offices, and co-workers
through e-mails, phone calls and verbal contact

Does this seems like a fit ???

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nikhilsai said:
HI Vensak ,

following are my duties

Coordinating the routings for shipments associated to all modes of transport (Air, Ocean,
 Prepare all necessary shipping documentation related to international bookings and process all
import/export documentation to clearing agents to include: (Master and house Bill of Ladings,
HAWB's, MAWB's, AES's, Manifest, Shipping Instructions, Cargo Declaration, Certificate of
Origin, etc.
 Dispatch pick-ups to authorized agents and drayage companies, shipping lines, airlines, trucking
companies, clearing agents, warehouses, and all other parties involved in the shipment, all while
maintaining a cost effective balance between customer service and cost of shipment
 Tracking, tracing, and updating the status of ocean, air and road shipments on the company
 Troubleshoot any problems with shipments (i.e. shipments held at border, Notices of Action)
 Verify adherence of documentation to customs, insurance, or regulatory requirements and
make arrangements with customs brokers to ensure that the goods and documents comply with
customs regulations
 Responsible to resolve internal operations problems on a diligent and business efficient manner
 Effective communication with customers, vendors, other overseas offices, and co-workers

Yes, but unfortunately only to 1526

If you want to have it in 1215, you need to add something that is resembling to following:

Train workers in job duties, safety procedures and company policies

Plan, organize and oversee operational logistics of the organization, establish work schedules and procedures, resolve work-related issues, prepare and submit progress and other reports and co-ordinate activities with other supply-chain work units or departments
Yes you do have there troubleshooting, but reporting and planning part for logistics as such is missing. (that is something where you make some monhly plan - like spending for logistics for example; and later you report results of this monthly activity)

Co-ordinate, assign and review the work of clerks engaged in the following duties: shipping, receiving, storing, distributing and maintaining inventories of materials, parts and products; processing purchasing transactions; co-ordinating production work; dispatching crews; scheduling transportation crews and routes; operating airport ramp servicing vehicles; and other related activities
Here you do not need to be their manager, you can be matrix assign responsible to dispatch request for operations.

Rashrash

Feb 8, 2019

If you want to have it in 1215, you need to add something that is resembling to following:

Plan, organize and oversee operational logistics of the organization, establish work schedules and procedures, resolve work-related issues, prepare and submit progress and other reports and co-ordinate activities with other supply-chain work units or departments
Yes you do have there troubleshooting, but reporting and planning part for logistics as such is missing. (that is something where you make some monhly plan - like spending for logistics for example; and later you report results of this monthly activity)

Co-ordinate, assign and review the work of clerks engaged in the following duties: shipping, receiving, storing, distributing and maintaining inventories of materials, parts and products; processing purchasing transactions; co-ordinating production work; dispatching crews; scheduling transportation crews and routes; operating airport ramp servicing vehicles; and other related activities
Here you do not need to be their manager, you can be matrix assign responsible to dispatch request for operations.

HI Vensak ,

following are my duties

Origin, etc.
customs regulations

How did this go ? Did u get it sorted?

Chris19.

Jan 6, 2019
HI Vensak ,

following are my duties

Origin, etc.
customs regulations

HI, did u get an feedback on this NOC?.I have almost same duties as you. Please advise

Laura0928

Star Member
Mar 25, 2018
HI Vensak ,

following are my duties

Origin, etc.
customs regulations

hi there. have you sorted out your NOC?

Kadeynic

Jan 22, 2021
Hi all,

Hi, could you tell which noc did you use? I am an import coordinator as well and not sure if I use noc 1215

Jul 3, 2019
Hello pal
If I am doing the job and in the same noc, I have applied in sinp and got the nomination and then for paper based application i decided to leave job and made decision to do online study will it chance to rejection?

FletcherHubbard

Star Member
Nov 20, 2023
I have applied in sinp and got the nomination and then for paper based application i decided to leave job and made decision to do online study will it chance to rejection?

Last edited: