+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Corona Virus threat to Travel , COPR expires on 24th April 2020

nioero

Feb 18, 2019
https://www.canadavisa.com/coronavirus-covid-19-impact-canada-immigration-visa-border-latest-news.html#gs.078lgg

2. Can I travel to Canada if my permanent residence application has been approved?
According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), individuals who are in possession of a confirmation of permanent residence (COPR) and permanent resident visa (PRV) are allowed to travel to Canada. Individuals are instructed to contact IRCC via its web form if their COPR and PRV expires, or is about to expire, due to their inability to travel to Canada due to COVID-19. In such cases, IRCC will re-open the permanent residence applications of such individuals for review in 90 days.

Well, now what.... This is becoming extremely confusing. So can a CoPR holder who CAN board a plane to Canada, be allowed to do his landing and enter Canada??
This page is last updated on March 15th so it might not be the most up to date information.

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
I am on H1 in the USA(Stayed here continuously for a long time). With the new situation can I fly to Toronto, complete landing formalities?

Aatika_m

Star Member
Dec 3, 2019
Hi everyone ! I am writing this for a friend as she is sailing in the same boat .Basically we both have our COPR but her validity is till 10 April while mine is till 23 May. We had to travel in the first week of April but admist this coronavirus scare we feel it's not safe to do so. She has already raised webform but hasn't received any reply yet.

She is skeptical whether this would lead to reopening of the case or they will simply extend the visa. Also she called ircc but the agent was also not very clear about the entire process and said anything can happen. We both are really confused please guide us.

Jul 18, 2019
Hi everyone ! I am writing this for a friend as she is sailing in the same boat .Basically we both have our COPR but her validity is till 10 April while mine is till 23 May. We had to travel in the first week of April but admist this coronavirus scare we feel it's not safe to do so. She has already raised webform but hasn't received any reply yet.

She is skeptical whether this would lead to reopening of the case or they will simply extend the visa. Also she called ircc but the agent was also not very clear about the entire process and said anything can happen. We both are really confused please guide us.
Hi ,

My flight is on March 30th and my CoPR expires on April 11th, I moved out of USA to India during december because of H1 problems. I raised couple of webforms and haven't received any reply. May be we can try tweeting canadina foreign affairs ministers regarding COPR on twitter.

thank you.

rxsialk

Mar 13, 2020

Hi, did your friend ask ircc after the border was closed? What did the agent mean by anything can happen? Thanks!

mattyhennessy

Mar 19, 2020
Hi all,

I can't find a clear answer. I was successful last week in my application for Permanent Residency and was mailed my COPR. I was planning on flying into Canada next week. However, I am uncertain whether I will be permitted to board a flight, as the Canadian border restrictions only exempt Citizens and Permanent Residents, and I am unclear whether I am included in that.

Does anyone have a concrete answer for this?

Thank you

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi all,

I can't find a clear answer. I was successful last week in my application for Permanent Residency and was mailed my COPR. I was planning on flying into Canada next week. However, I am uncertain whether I will be permitted to board a flight, as the Canadian border restrictions only exempt Citizens and Permanent Residents, and I am unclear whether I am included in that.

Does anyone have a concrete answer for this?

Thank you
You will be denied boarding as per the link below as you are neither a citizen or a PR. You will not be a PR until landed so until then you are considered a foreigner. There are some limited exception for example a citzens 'immediate family' but thats about it.

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html

IRCC has put in special processes to cater for people who cannot travel due to COVID restrictions

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus.html

ntkotian

Jan 24, 2018
India
NOC Code......
You will be denied boarding as per the link below as you are neither a citizen or a PR. You will not be a PR until landed so until then you are considered a foreigner. There are some limited exception for example a citzens 'immediate family' but thats about it.

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html
so will the airline refund the ticket?
can I call airline and ask for refund since the border for Canada is now closed?
I had purchase ticket without refund clause.

Reactions: pretty_nurse

nioero

Feb 18, 2019
so will the airline refund the ticket?
can I call airline and ask for refund since the border for Canada is now closed?
I had purchase ticket without refund clause.
I think it will depend on individual airline. For us, the airline is willing to rebook once free of charge.

Huda_suddiqui

Star Member
Dec 31, 2018
Like I have said before. When we went to arrivals there were two queues; one for Canadian citizenships and PR holder, the other one was for all other passports. They directed us to the other passports counter. Unless, IRCC comes out with some more explanation about this ban, as for now it seems that the only way is to extend the COPR as soon as possible by informing them. That’s again my understanding of what I have experience. Everyday they are changing rules so abruptly that anything can happen. I would also suggest to include a copy of your ticket so that IRCC would know that you have made actual plan to travel. This was our plan if they would have not allowed us to board the plane.

Reactions: pretty_nurse

Amritchahal05

Star Member
Nov 21, 2019
One of my frnd just got boarding from new delhi. She was with her husband who is PR. Immigration told her that she is not allowed to enter canada as she has COPR aftr her husband talked to immigration and they saw their all documents of marriage and many more things.After 3,4 hours they allow her to catch plane bt she told me that just cancel ur tickets as i had booked my ticket for 22 march. she said u wll not allowed to pass with COPR so guys my husband just cancelled my ticket and i think u guys should too. that’s just recent experience their security is so tight that better to wait till things wll be good.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
One of my frnd just got boarding from new delhi. She was with her husband who is PR. Immigration told her that she is not allowed to enter canada as she has COPR aftr her husband talked to immigration and they saw their all documents of marriage and many more things.After 3,4 hours they allow her to catch plane bt she told me that just cancel ur tickets as i had booked my ticket for 22 march. she said u wll not allowed to pass with COPR so guys my husband just cancelled my ticket and i think u guys should too. that’s just recent experience their security is so tight that better to wait till things wll be good.
As per the recent update, spouses/partners of PRs qualify for the exemption and can fly.

https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=38952&lang=en