+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Corona Virus Effects on Travelling (Risk of missing landing date)

SarunasB

Oct 30, 2019
Hi All,

Has anyone started considering the effects of the corona virus on your ability to travel to Canada in time before the expiration of your CoPR ?

I currently live in Asia (not China) and my deadline is June 30th. I have a trip planned for Mid May via South Korea and the situation there is getting worse so I'm starting to get a little concerned that travel restrictions might be put in place by the time I have to travel. Might have to make last minute changes to my schedule (probably at great cost?).

I'm not panicking or stressing out yet, just monitoring the situation.

I know CoPR says no extension possible to the landing deadline, but maybe they would given the situation around the world? No extensions could possibly force people with the virus to travel to Canada just to meet the requirement - not something Canadian authorities would want right ?

What are your thoughts ?

Anyone else in a similar boat ?

SarunasB

Oct 30, 2019
Why not reschedule the flight to not go via south korea?
It's one of the options but since my flights are with Korea Air they only offer flights through Korea so I would have to cancel with them (cancellation fees and partial refund) and get tickets with somebody else. Instead of going east over the pacific to Vancouver, I would have to go west via maybe Dubai or somewhere in Europe and land somewhere east coast of Canada to make it easier.

Lots to think about.

Molino de Viente

Star Member
Aug 16, 2018
Kazakhstan
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26/04/2019
Med's Done....
06/06/2019
Passport Req..
31/10/2019
I feel your sitation, my COPR expires even earlier - 21st of April. I am flying on the 8th of April - might be the very peak of the virus. I am really freaked out. I fly through Germany. The number of cases there is 48, but it took only a day for the cases to double from 18 to 48! I read on the cic website, they will be extending the COPRs of Chinese applicants, but what will be with the other? It is too late to reschedule my flight for an earlier date, I think.

Reactions: despairedh1b

Molino de Viente

Star Member
Aug 16, 2018
Kazakhstan
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26/04/2019
Med's Done....
06/06/2019
Passport Req..
31/10/2019
Same concern here, not sure what to do
What countries borders do you have to go through? If transit country closes its border - I buy ticket through another route. If it is my country border - it is a problem. If Canada closes, I think they will accomodate for that.

Nov 20, 2018
Hi, I think the immigration department has released guidelines for people with valid CoPR but unable to travel before expiry date due to the virus. You can get more info on their website.

Molino de Viente

Star Member
Aug 16, 2018
Kazakhstan
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26/04/2019
Med's Done....
06/06/2019
Passport Req..
31/10/2019
Hi, I think the immigration department has released guidelines for people with valid CoPR but unable to travel before expiry date due to the virus. You can get more info on their website.
Thank you. I have just look the guidelines. If I understood correctly, they refer to Chinese COPR holders, because VOs were closed. Hopefully, they will be able to do that for other applicants in case the situation worsens.

dr.josemrod

Sep 3, 2019
Santiago, Dominican Republic
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31-08-2019
AOR Received.
05-09-2019
Med's Done....
18-09-2019
LANDED..........
08-05-2020
We are not worried about the Virus' mortality, but about the cancellation of flights due to travel restrictions, and the hermetic procedures of not modifying CoPRs dates.

Reactions: BillyWescott

dream_on_7

Star Member
Sep 1, 2018
Need to land by April 22nd.This is kinda freaking me out.Is there any telegram/whatsapp group for ppl with travel plans in late March or Early April

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Same situation here. CoPR expires 8th May. I had booked flights way in advance for 4th April transiting through Paris. keeping fingers crossed!

kayenavacha

Mar 10, 2020
"SarunasB" - The page seems to indicate that these special measures are only if you are "Chinese, Iranian or South Korean". I am not sure if the same applies to countries, other than the three mentioned here.

kayenavacha

Mar 10, 2020
Same situation here. CoPR expires 8th May. I had booked flights way in advance for 4th April transiting through Paris. keeping fingers crossed!
Similar situation here. My COPR expires on April 11th. Booked a flight transiting through Paris on 3rd April. Just 3 weeks to go.

Marja8

Aug 30, 2018
BC
Category........
FAM
I tried to email the visa office where my mother's file is at the moment. They've already requested for her passport and waiting for COPR. I emailed in advance to ask if they could give a longer validity of her COPR due to the ongoing corona virus outbreak . I reiterated that elderly people are more susceptible to get hit by this outbreak. My mom is post-stroke survivor for a year now. I'm so worried that she'll be at risk if she travel at this time. I really hope they'll have some consideration for extension of validity. :confused: