+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Corona virus and expiring PR

syahska

Star Member
May 13, 2016
Help required. I soft landed into Canada on 8th APR 2018 for a week and got back to India. Haven’t been back since. Since my 3yrs will get over on 7th APR 2021, I have booked my one way ticket via British Airways on 20th Jan 2021. My question is - what happens to my PR IF Canada still does not open borders or if there are no international flights operational until then. Will I lose my PR or will I get an extension if that’s probable.
A

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Nobody can obviously predict where this pandemic will be come January but if we assume the same process is in place at that time then you would raise a web form indicating you cannot travel. I expect the whole world is praying that there is not a second COVID wave given that would pretty catastrophic.

EDIT UPdate. There is currently no webform process for people who have already landed they are still expected to meet the residency obligation given they have 3 years from landing to move to still be able to meet the 2 out of 5 year requirement.

In a hopefully unikely scenario where international flights were not operational until then I would suggest that many airlines would be out of business even BA who are quoted currently due to COVID to be burning through 20 million UKP per day currently with flights grounded.

All you can do is wait and see what happens in the next 6 months, hopefully things will improve although talk of a vaccine seem to be premature and dare I say just a Trump election wish list.

Last edited:

syahska

Star Member
May 13, 2016
Thank you for your reply. Indeed, this is something that cant be predicted. The reason I ask is since I am travelling from India, this situation but necessitates my resignation from my current employer and this is 3 months prior. Well, I wouldnt want to be caught out in a situation where i resign and cant travel either :)
The other reason is - apparently place of stay and quarantine plan is being asked for now. My initial plan was to stay with my friend's family for a while till i figured it all out. Now, I will need to perhaps look for accomodation and book it as well ?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So currently the Canada travel restriction is in place until July 31 and the requirement for an isolation plan until August 31, both dates could of course be extended.

As for an extension apologies I misread your original post in that currently there is no exception process for people who have already landed given I assume IRCC consider the residency obligation 2 out of 5 a generous obligation to meet. So you should not at this time expect any exception process should you not be able to travel back before 4/2021 and would have to take the risk after that date of being reported on arrival for failing the RO. Of course IRCC may revisit this should there be a second wave given more people would be affected with travel restrictions but no way to predict other than the current position that near 3 years to move seems unlikely.

Unfortunately there is no easy answer for people having to give notice in their current country all you can do is see what the situation is come October and make a informed decision. Many people are in the same situation as you and unfortunately just have to take the risk based on the situation at the time there is no easy answer.

Does not seem to make a lot of sense to book accommodation 6 months out but then again you would need to arrange accommodation for your arrival whether COVID was an issue or not as long as no penalty for cancellation. Many people currently book AIRBNB for their isolation plan or normal initial arrival but whether that is possible to book 6 months out no ide

Other than moving earlier during any possible COVID pause cannot really offer much advice given it is all an unknown with the only sure thing being unemployment in Canada is also likely to be an issue for many months to come.

Last edited:

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Help required. I soft landed into Canada on 8th APR 2018 for a week and got back to India. Haven’t been back since. Since my 3yrs will get over on 7th APR 2021, I have booked my one way ticket via British Airways on 20th Jan 2021. My question is - what happens to my PR IF Canada still does not open borders or if there are no international flights operational until then. Will I lose my PR or will I get an extension if that’s probable.
A
You are a PR, there are no restrictions here that prevent you coming back to Canada. As said above, you will have to wait and see what travel options are open to you later. You can't do your self isolation with another family unless they have a suite or room where you will have no contact with them for the 2 weeks. Otherwise you would all have to isolate together.

AirBnB is an option or a hotel room, have to check ahead of time that they would accommodate you for isolation. We did our with AirBnB, not a lot of people who want people to use their places for it.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thank you for your reply. Indeed, this is something that cant be predicted. The reason I ask is since I am travelling from India, this situation but necessitates my resignation from my current employer and this is 3 months prior. Well, I wouldnt want to be caught out in a situation where i resign and cant travel either :)
The other reason is - apparently place of stay and quarantine plan is being asked for now. My initial plan was to stay with my friend's family for a while till i figured it all out. Now, I will need to perhaps look for accomodation and book it as well ?
I believe place of stay and quarantine plan are simply being asked to filter those who need to be transported to the government quarantine facility. Obviously they would prefer it if you had your own quarantine plan and place. But yeah, you can't stay in the facility longer than 14 days.