+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Copy of SIN and Work permit

Simon21

Feb 8, 2018
Hi,
I have recently come to Canada and just got my first job. My employer wants to take copy of my SIN confirmation letter and my work permit to keep on file. I am not OK with that... Especially the SIN. Is it normal?
Do I have to agree to it?

Thanks for any advice!

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
It's normal. How would they withhold and remit the income tax if they don't have your SIN?

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hi,
I have recently come to Canada and just got my first job. My employer wants to take copy of my SIN confirmation letter and my work permit to keep on file. I am not OK with that... Especially the SIN. Is it normal?
Do I have to agree to it?

Thanks for any advice!
Its standard employment regulations. All employers must take a copy of SIN and work permit if their employee is a foreigner.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
I can vouch for that. I had to give both as well. It's normal (well i gave them my SIN number, not the whole confirmation letter)

Simon21

Feb 8, 2018
Hi everyone,
thanks for the answers. Just to clarify - I know they need the SIN Number to deduct taxes etc. I have no problem with showing all the documentation to them. It's only that making photocopy of the SIN confirmation letter doesn't seem very safe - it's just a paper, not a card anymore.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
It's just a photocopy, only the number and your name is there, what's the big deal?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Only shows your name, address and SIN number. No big deal. If you don't give your employer your SIN number, don't expect to be working very long.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Its understandable that OP is nervous about his SIN but you got to have more trust in your employer.

Its like people who go to accountants to do their taxes. All their financial and SIN information is left to their accountants and accountants always keep copies of everything in case people loses their tax returns which I know from experience people do lose them.

vana43

Feb 8, 2018
I totally agree this is irrelevant question to this thread but i am not getting any answers in mine, its very very URGENT!!

My name in passport is (Firstname: "SARAVANA KUMAR", Surname: "SAXXXXXX")
My name in UG Degree certificate is "SARAVANA KUMARS"

Is it a problem while applying for work permit in canada

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
I totally agree this is irrelevant question to this thread but i am not getting any answers in mine, its very very URGENT!!

My name in passport is (Firstname: "SARAVANA KUMAR", Surname: "SAXXXXXX")
My name in UG Degree certificate is "SARAVANA KUMARS"

Is it a problem while applying for work permit in canada
Its not really relevant if your name is spelt differently by one letter. CIC doesn't care about that.