+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CoPR

Elpi

Oct 10, 2018
Can somebody please give me an advice.
A friend landed here in Canada as first time immigrant. They showed their passport with Valid immigrant visa but unfortunately they didn’t realize that they need to present the CoPR. Now the CoPR had expired and the medical as well. What do we do now?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What do you mean by "valid immigrant visa"? Are you referring to a tourist visa (TRV) or something like that?

If the COPR wasn't presented and stamped, then it sounds like this individual didn't complete the landing procedure and isn't a permanent resident. If the COPR has now expired and this individual didn't successfully land, then they would have to apply for PR again from scratch.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Can somebody please give me an advice.
A friend landed here in Canada as first time immigrant. They showed their passport with Valid immigrant visa but unfortunately they didn’t realize that they need to present the CoPR. Now the CoPR had expired and the medical as well. What do we do now?
Your friend was allowed to enter? What did the CBSA officer tell her/him?

Elpi

Oct 10, 2018
What do you mean by "valid immigrant visa"? Are you referring to a tourist visa (TRV) or something like that?

If the COPR wasn't presented and stamped, then it sounds like this individual didn't complete the landing procedure and isn't a permanent resident. If the COPR has now expired and this individual didn't successfully land, then they would have to apply for PR again from scratch.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
They came in as Permanent Resident.
What you're saying doesn't make sense. If they were allowed in as Permanent Residents, then the question of the CoPR expiring doesn't arise.

If they were denied entry and told to come back with the CoPR, that would make sense.

I suggest you give us a complete picture of what happened (ask your friend) so we can help you.

Elpi

Oct 10, 2018
They have “immigrant visa”, not visitor visa. They were allowed to come in but unfortunately they failed to give their CoPR. Immigration officer did not ask about the CoPR. Can they just go back to the airport and have the immigration office stamp the CoPR?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
They have “immigrant visa”, not visitor visa. They were allowed to come in but unfortunately they failed to give their CoPR. Immigration officer did not ask about the CoPR. Can they just go back to the airport and have the immigration office stamp the CoPR?
If their CoPR wasn't signed and dated by the officer, then as far as I know they haven't completed landing. I have no idea how they would be allowed in on an IM-1 visa without showing their CoPR. Perhaps @scylla or @zardoz can help you.

If it was signed and dated (but not stamped), then that's no problem. It doesn't have to be stamped. It has to have the officer's signature on it.

Reactions: scylla

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
If their CoPR wasn't signed and dated by the officer, then as far as I know they haven't completed landing. I have no idea how they would be allowed in on an IM-1 visa without showing their CoPR. Perhaps @scylla or @zardoz can help you.

If it was signed and dated (but not stamped), then that's no problem. It doesn't have to be stamped. It has to have the officer's signature on it.
Yes, there must be the full procedure completed. It sounds like they entered as a visitor. The IM-1 visa is just to get them onto the aircraft. It is not used in the PR landing process. For that, the COPR only is used and it seems that it wasn't.

The applicant has not landed as a Permanent Resident and now can't.

Reactions: scylla

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yes, there must be the full procedure completed. It sounds like they entered as a visitor. The IM-1 visa is just to get them onto the aircraft. It is not used in the PR landing process. For that, the COPR only is used and it seems that it wasn't.

The applicant has not landed as a Permanent Resident and now can't.
But at the port of entry, they'd have to show their passports, right? Or do you think they just used the automated machines?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how they could enter the country without being examined by CBSA and therefore being asked for their CoPR. Seems odd.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
If the COPR is expired, they will need to contact the issuing visa office. It cannot be submitted for landing if it's expired.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
But at the port of entry, they'd have to show their passports, right? Or do you think they just used the automated machines?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how they could enter the country without being examined by CBSA and therefore being asked for their CoPR. Seems odd.
They should have been diverted to Secondary Inspection. However, you DON'T have to land if you don't ask to, so I suspect that they just got waved through Primary Inspection.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
They should have been diverted to Secondary Inspection. However, you DON'T have to land if you don't ask to, so I suspect that they just got waved through Primary Inspection.
That sucks if they have lost their PR status for something like this.

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
That sucks if they have lost their PR status for something like this.

I guess 65.1(1) of the IRPR applies - they did not "apply to remain in Canada"

65.1 (1) A foreign national in Canada who is a permit holder and a member of the permit holder class becomes a permanent resident if, following an examination, it is established that

• (a) they have applied to remain in Canada as a permanent resident as a member of that class;

And also 70(1).
A "permit holder" is someone who has been issued a TRP. This is a special case and not relevant to the current issue.
HOWEVER, just because you are issued a COPR, it doesn't mean that you have to use it. You are perfectly entitled to allow it to expire and request that the RPRF be paid back. Basically, they have royally screwed up...