+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR

elevid

May 18, 2012
Hi there,

I received the COPR few days ago. My family and I are planning to move to Canada at the end of the scholastic year this summer, but we would like to go for 10 days during Easter holidays to have a look at the logistic..How does it work with the documents? I know that I have to bring my passport, the COPR, but about the list of items and the address where the PR card should sent? We have a relative in Ontario, can we write her address and leave canada after 10 days, or should I stay there until I'll receive the PR card? I don't understand if I can travel with COPR or once we stop at the immigration office at the airport they'll take this document and I'm stuck in Canada until the PR card will arrive......

Another thing: can I start to apply for some jobs? having the COPR, can I be considered "authorized to work in Canada"?

Thank you

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Are you all visa-exempt? If you are, you don't have to "land" when you visit and you can delay this up to the expiry dates on the COPR if this would suite you better.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
elevid said:
Hi there,

I received the COPR few days ago. My family and I are planning to move to Canada at the end of the scholastic year this summer, but we would like to go for 10 days during Easter holidays to have a look at the logistic..How does it work with the documents? I know that I have to bring my passport, the COPR, but about the list of items and the address where the PR card should sent? We have a relative in Ontario, can we write her address and leave canada after 10 days, or should I stay there until I'll receive the PR card? I don't understand if I can travel with COPR or once we stop at the immigration office at the airport they'll take this document and I'm stuck in Canada until the PR card will arrive......

Another thing: can I start to apply for some jobs? having the COPR, can I be considered "authorized to work in Canada"?

Thank you
I see from your previous posts you are from Italy, so are visa-exempt to Canada. In this case you can land, put your relative in Ontario as address to receive PR card, and then leave after 10 days if you want.

Then you basically have 2 options:
1. When returning back to Canada, you can travel as a VISITOR on your visa-exempt passport. When arriving in Canada you can show passport + COPR to immigration officer, and they will be able to see your PR status on their computer. You can just tell them you are waiting for PR card in mail still.
2. When your PR card arrives in the mail, your relative can courier the PR card to you in Italy. Then you can just use it when you travel back to Canada.

On the same day you land and become PR, you can immediately get a SIN number either from airport (only select locations), or by going to nearest government office. So yes you can start to look for work immediately.

Cf45

Star Member
Sep 20, 2013
Hi I have a similar situation. I'm from the USA and I was wondering can u only bring ur goods in when u land? Or can u bring tem in as a visitor?
There was a mistake on my COPR and I'm waiting to here back but I have a moving truck and plane tix for jan 17. I'm wondering if I should go in as a visitor instead but would I pay duty on the items them?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Cf45 said:
Hi I have a similar situation. I'm from the USA and I was wondering can u only bring ur goods in when u land? Or can u bring tem in as a visitor?
There was a mistake on my COPR and I'm waiting to here back but I have a moving truck and plane tix for jan 17. I'm wondering if I should go in as a visitor instead but would I pay duty on the items them?
If you enter Canada as a visitor, you will need to pay duty/taxes on all applicable items.
You need to wait until you officially land as PR, to bring in your goods duty-free via the B4 forms.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Cf45 said:
If you've already paid quite a bit of money that you can't get refunded, I would suggest you land with the COPR as is. As Rob_TO said above, you would have to pay duty if you brought everything as a visitor.