+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CoPR visa expiry date ?

ba24123n

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018
Hello all, this could be a very silly question but I just want to get a better understanding on the expiration of the CoPR visa.
So, I apply for Canada PR in Aug 2018 and gets approved in Oct 2019. The expiration date as mentioned in the visa stamp in the passport and that in the CoPR is in Sep 2020 (as per the 1 year timeline of my medicals). Does that mean that after Sep 2020, do I need to reapply for immigration (or) do I need to renew the visa as long as I want to (or) the expiration date holds true only for the first-time landing in Canada ?
Thanks. Appreciate for your time and response(s).

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You must land in Canada before your COPR expires.

You generally cannot extend a COPR without an emergency that prevents you from travel.

Once you land, you get a PR card after processing. You use that instead of a visa to travel to Canada.

If you do not land before the expiry of your COPR, you lose your status and have to re apply for PR.

Reactions: Haitham Calgary

ba24123n

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018

You generally cannot extend a COPR without an emergency that prevents you from travel.

Once you land, you get a PR card after processing. You use that instead of a visa to travel to Canada.

If you do not land before the expiry of your COPR, you lose your status and have to re apply for PR.
@k.h.p: Thank you for your quick response. If I land in Toronto and then would want to move to Montreal, QC to work should I apply for a CSQ ?

ba24123n

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018
You would need to get PR approval through Quebec's system if you wish to settle in Quebec.
I am not quite sure if I follow you. I got "Confirmation of Permanent Residence" already. Does that not mean my PR is approved and I need to apply for one more through Quebec's system again ?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you have your COPR now and did not indicate that you wanted to settle in Quebec, you may have issues if you land in Canada and give Quebec as your intended address.

ba24123n

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018
If you have your COPR now and did not indicate that you wanted to settle in Quebec, you may have issues if you land in Canada and give Quebec as your intended address.
Yes, I did not specify that I would want to settle in Quebec earlier as I was not sure of the job prospects but I am very close to having a job offer in Quebec. Can I land in Toronto, stay there for 1-2 months until I receive my PR card and then move to Quebec and start working ?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I am not sure. Technically you have freedom of mobility once you land. However, IRCC may consider this misrepresentation if your intention is to settle in Quebec.

ba24123n

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018
I am not sure. Technically you have freedom of mobility once you land. However, IRCC may consider this misrepresentation if your intention is to settle in Quebec.
It is definitely not my intention as I plan to move to Quebec only because of the job offer but otherwise I plan to stay in Ontario only.

Hodanagah

Mar 29, 2018

When you say re apply for PR, you mean the entire express entry process from the start? With the scores and everything

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
When you say re apply for PR, you mean the entire express entry process from the start? With the scores and everything
That’s correct , in normal circumstances if someone does not land before COPR expires they have to apply for PR from the beginning again.

Of course with the COVID situation there is an expectation that some extension may be granted for COPRs expiring whilst the emergency declaration continues but should any extensions be granted could speculate they are likely to be a one time opportunity with a short timeline and may require some application aspects to be refreshed. Nobody at this point knows so anything said is speculation.

Hodanagah

Mar 29, 2018
I have a unique problem with my PR landing process. I would appreciate someone who is very knowledgeable to share solution(s) to my situation, which is also impacted by COVID-19 like everyone else on here. Here is my story:
  • 9 days before my flight to Toronto for landing, I couldn't find my COPR document. I communicated to the regional VAC that the COPR was lost. They replied 2 days later with instructions on how to get an original COPR re-printed.
  • I eventually found the COPR doc a day before my flight. I arrived in Toronto on 13 March 2020 to complete my PR landing, but the officer advised that the COPR as well as my immigration visa was cancelled by the issuing VAC, and only they can can re-instate it.
  • I was never notified by email or phone about the cancellation of my immigration visa and COPR, hence my surprise upon landing in Toronto. The VAC should have at least informed either me or my consultant as a heads up that they are cancelling it, I would have urgently updated them that I found it so they can re-instate it.
  • The officer in Toronto said I need to get in touch with the VAC to reinstate it and do an inland from inside Canada. They couldn't do anything at Toronto. I was unable to complete my landing on 13 March.
  • I entered the country on visitor status and have been in Ottawa since then. My COPR/Visa was re-authorized by the VAC on 17 Mar and is currently valid for landing, until 5 May. My COPR/immigration visa expires on 5/5/2020.
  • I spoke to a call center agent on 18 March from Ottawa who said that inland appointments are postponed till 13 April, so I'll have to wait until then. He confirmed he put in an urgent request for IRCC Ottawa office to schedule my inland appointment once they reopen on 13 April.
  • Since then there has been a complete lock down, call center is no longer in operation. I can't reach anyone in the IRCC over the phone. I submitted a webform and emailed them but still no response.
My visa expires on 5 May (2.5 weeks) and I am very anxious and stressed about my expiry date looming. What is very frustrating is that I am inside Canada and I know they are processing PR applications at Pearson Airport as of this week, where I was originally supposed to do my landing. I spoke to a superintendent at CBSA in Pearson Airport yesterday, 16 April, and she confirmed they are processing PR landing applications. They are much lower in number comparatively, but she said there was a family of 5 that was processed earlier this week who came in from London.

I would like answers to the following question:
  1. The IRCC website states that they are scheduling inland appointments for approved PR applicants inside Canada via telephone. Here is this link. Are they doing this? If yes, then how can we get an appointment scheduled?
  2. If my COPR/visa documents expire without doing my landing, will IIRC:
    1. Cancel the entire thing, and I will need to do the entire express entry process again?
    2. Ask to do my biometrics and get a new visa re-printed, and provide a list of all the documents they need (employment letter <I quit my job already>, birth certificates, medicals, police clearance, etc)?
    3. Extend the date of the current COPR/visa once they re-open for PR inland process so I can complete my landing?
I would highly appreciate anyone's help and information on the above. I am in quite a desperate situation, as I am sure alot of people are across the world.

Thank you
Hoda

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have a unique problem with my PR landing process. I would appreciate someone who is very knowledgeable to share solution(s) to my situation, which is also impacted by COVID-19 like everyone else on here. Here is my story:
  • 9 days before my flight to Toronto for landing, I couldn't find my COPR document. I communicated to the regional VAC that the COPR was lost. They replied 2 days later with instructions on how to get an original COPR re-printed.
  • I eventually found the COPR doc a day before my flight. I arrived in Toronto on 13 March 2020 to complete my PR landing, but the officer advised that the COPR as well as my immigration visa was cancelled by the issuing VAC, and only they can can re-instate it.
  • I was never notified by email or phone about the cancellation of my immigration visa and COPR, hence my surprise upon landing in Toronto. The VAC should have at least informed either me or my consultant as a heads up that they are cancelling it, I would have urgently updated them that I found it so they can re-instate it.
  • The officer in Toronto said I need to get in touch with the VAC to reinstate it and do an inland from inside Canada. They couldn't do anything at Toronto. I was unable to complete my landing on 13 March.
  • I entered the country on visitor status and have been in Ottawa since then. My COPR/Visa was re-authorized by the VAC on 17 Mar and is currently valid for landing, until 5 May. My COPR/immigration visa expires on 5/5/2020.
  • I spoke to a call center agent on 18 March from Ottawa who said that inland appointments are postponed till 13 April, so I'll have to wait until then. He confirmed he put in an urgent request for IRCC Ottawa office to schedule my inland appointment once they reopen on 13 April.
  • Since then there has been a complete lock down, call center is no longer in operation. I can't reach anyone in the IRCC over the phone. I submitted a webform and emailed them but still no response.
My visa expires on 5 May (2.5 weeks) and I am very anxious and stressed about my expiry date looming. What is very frustrating is that I am inside Canada and I know they are processing PR applications at Pearson Airport as of this week, where I was originally supposed to do my landing. I spoke to a superintendent at CBSA in Pearson Airport yesterday, 16 April, and she confirmed they are processing PR landing applications. They are much lower in number comparatively, but she said there was a family of 5 that was processed earlier this week who came in from London.

I would like answers to the following question:
  1. The IRCC website states that they are scheduling inland appointments for approved PR applicants inside Canada via telephone. Here is this link. Are they doing this? If yes, then how can we get an appointment scheduled?
  2. If my COPR/visa documents expire without doing my landing, will IIRC:
    1. Cancel the entire thing, and I will need to do the entire express entry process again?
    2. Ask to do my biometrics and get a new visa re-printed, and provide a list of all the documents they need (employment letter <I quit my job already>, birth certificates, medicals, police clearance, etc)?
    3. Extend the date of the current COPR/visa once they re-open for PR inland process so I can complete my landing?
I would highly appreciate anyone's help and information on the above. I am in quite a desperate situation, as I am sure alot of people are across the world.

Thank you
Hoda
Only CIC can tell you what will happen. Unfortunate that you didn’t go to the US land border and land In March.

Hodanagah

Mar 29, 2018
Only CIC can tell you what will happen. Unfortunate that you didn’t go to the US land border and land In March.
I thought about it but I wasn't sure I could enter the US as I need a visitor US visa to enter the US. And back then the IRCC call agent confirmed that my case would be prioritized since the expiry date is soon.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I thought about it but I wasn't sure I could enter the US as I need a visitor US visa to enter the US. And back then the IRCC call agent confirmed that my case would be prioritized since the expiry date is soon.
You didn’t need a US visa. Too late at this point. Would encourage you to send a webform asking for an extension.