+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR & Travelling

lfindlay

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
Hi - I made a similar post a while back but now that we have COPR in hand I want to clarify, so forgive me if this is a double post.

-My common law partner received COPR yesterday
-We applied Outland, but my partner is currently living in Canada on a work permit
-He holds an Australian passport, so is visa exempt
-He has recently received a new passport so his previous eTA is no longer valid, but his work permit is valid until August 2018

1. We have a trip booked (via air) to the US in a couple weeks, and were originally planning on landing upon our return to Canada. Will he need an eTA to fly? My understanding is that he will but want to clarify.

2. He is now considering a trip in August overseas to Europe. I am aware that once he lands, he cannot fly without his PR card. It is unlikely that he would receive the PR card in time for the Europe trip, so if he ends up going it would be in our best interest to delay the landing. Could he choose to land upon his return from Europe instead of when he returns to Canada from the US in 3 weeks? Or does he not have a choice once he exits the country and re-enters (as he will in 3 weeks), will he be forced to land then?

THANKS AS ALWAYS!

Reactions: cata253

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017

lfindlay

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
Thanks for that link, that answers my first question. So we do not need an eTA.

I am just unsure about the landing - if we can hold off until later in August or if we will be "forced" to do it when we return to Canada from the USA in a couple. weeks

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017

I am just unsure about the landing - if we can hold off until later in August or if we will be "forced" to do it when we return to Canada from the USA in a couple. weeks
You are not officially a PR in Canada until you land as PR and an officer sign your CoPR document.......ensure you land with your COPR before the expiration, else you will have to re-apply.

Last edited:

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017

You do not need an ETA if you have a CoPR - official source here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1184&_ga=2.258532362.1087044140.1528229919-1708250413.1497020981

Having said that, I have heard of airlines still asking for an ETA. We played it safe and got an ETA as well as the CoPR (and a print-out of the CIC page saying we didn't need it!!).

As regards your next question, you will not be FORCED to activate your CoPR when you land, it is up to you to tell them you want to declare PR and 'activate' your CoPR. As long as you do land and declare PR before the expiry date of the CoPR you will be fine.

Reactions: lfindlay

lfindlay

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
You do not need an ETA if you have a CoPR - official source here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1184&_ga=2.258532362.1087044140.1528229919-1708250413.1497020981

Having said that, I have heard of airlines still asking for an ETA. We played it safe and got an ETA as well as the CoPR (and a print-out of the CIC page saying we didn't need it!!).

As regards your next question, you will not be FORCED to activate your CoPR when you land, it is up to you to tell them you want to declare PR and 'activate' your CoPR. As long as you do land and declare PR before the expiry date of the CoPR you will be fine.
Thank you! I also printed out the CIC page to bring with us. Hopefully that along with the CoPR and a work permit will suffice :)

Thanks for clarifying re: the landing. I couldn't find any information as to whether it was mandatory to land once you exit and re-enter Canada..I didn't know if it would 'flag' it in their system when going through customs. We will definitely land before the expiry date of the COPR, but it may be in our best interest to wait until after the 2nd trip to do the landing... when there is no travel planned for the foreseeable future so not having a PR card won't cause any issues!

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
I couldn't find any information as to whether it was mandatory to land once you exit and re-enter Canada..I didn't know if it would 'flag' it in their system when going through customs.
I know of several people who have done this - most for the reason you stated. Certainly CBSA have you on their system and may ask if you want to land for PR, all you have to say is 'no - not on this occasion, I plan to land on a later trip' (or whatever).

Reactions: lfindlay

lfindlay

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
I know of several people who have done this - most for the reason you stated. Certainly CBSA have you on their system and may ask if you want to land for PR, all you have to say is 'no - not on this occasion, I plan to land on a later trip' (or whatever).
Awesome - that's exactly what we needed to know. Thank you!