+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR - Travelling difficulties

killswitch

Oct 1, 2020
Hi folks,

I am residing in US on H1B work visa and have applied and got COPR. Now the thing is they have asked me to land in Canada before Oct 19th 2022, but unfortunately I dont have visa appointments within that date range to make the travel and be back to the states. can someone please walk me through this. I also raised a web form but no response.

Thanks,
N

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi folks,

I am residing in US on H1B work visa and have applied and got COPR. Now the thing is they have asked me to land in Canada before Oct 19th 2022, but unfortunately I dont have visa appointments within that date range to make the travel and be back to the states. can someone please walk me through this. I also raised a web form but no response.

Thanks,
N
I'm not sure what you mean by "I don't have visa appointments within that date range to make the travel and be back to the states". I assume you must be referring to your H1B status and whatever you require to be able to re-enter the US.

Generally speaking COPRs are "use it or lose it", meaning that you have to land by the date specified on the COPR or the COPR is canceled and you have to reapply for PR from scratch. IRCC was extending them while COVID travel restrictions were in place and it wasn't possible or was extremely difficult to travel to Canada. But that's not the case anymore.

It's good that you raised the webform. I don't know if IRCC will extend your COPR or not. But raising the webform is the right thing to do if you want to try to get an extension.

Good luck.

killswitch

Oct 1, 2020
I'm not sure what you mean by "I don't have visa appointments within that date range to make the travel and be back to the states". I assume you must be referring to your H1B status and whatever you require to be able to re-enter the US.

Generally speaking COPRs are "use it or lose it", meaning that you have to land by the date specified on the COPR or the COPR is canceled and you have to reapply for PR from scratch. IRCC was extending them while COVID travel restrictions were in place and it wasn't possible or was extremely difficult to travel to Canada. But that's not the case anymore.

It's good that you raised the webform. I don't know if IRCC will extend your COPR or not. But raising the webform is the right thing to do if you want to try to get an extension.

Good luck.
They havent responded to the web form since couple of weeks. does that mean they wont be givin an extension.? i thought it was a reasonable ask.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
They havent responded to the web form since couple of weeks. does that mean they wont be givin an extension.? i thought it was a reasonable ask.
It can take quite a number of weeks to get a response. I think they simply haven't looked at your message yet. I don't know what the chances are of an extension.

Pre-covid, COPRs were never extended. You had to land by the expiration date on the COPR.

Reactions: killswitch

RT42

Star Member
Dec 16, 2020
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
I think you can use AVR to return back to US immediately after completing your landing. You don’t require a visa stamp to do that.