+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR - Staple Marks

lef

Jul 31, 2017
Hi!

I have received my passport with immigrant visa stamped on it, COPR and a letter with additional information.

I unstapled them and scanned them as I wanted to keep soft copies. So I stapled them again after.

After reading the additional information, I found out that I should not attempt to change my documents in any way. Do not laminate, do not fold or STAPLE COPR forms.

Okay, so I just realized the COPR forms are originally not stapled. Only the letter with additional info are stapled. But out of habit, I stapled them both!

I removed the staple wire already but of course there is a staple mark left on the COPR forms.

I may be paranoid, but I’ll rather ask, do you think this is okay or will cause problem?
Should I report this to the visa office?

Any one here experienced the same and was able to successfully land and enter Canada?

Thank you

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
thank you for your quick reply.

the staple wire holes were in the white spaces - no printed info affected.
You should be ok. If you gently smooth down the edges of the staple holes, they will be less apparent.
Always a good idea to read the instructions ;)

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

lef

Jul 31, 2017
You should be ok. If you gently smooth down the edges of the staple holes, they will be less apparent.
Always a good idea to read the instructions ;)

Thank you. I always do read instructions.

You would not really see it as an instruction similar to a test paper written before everything else. it is literally a separate file from the COPR. A long read which I definitely intended to read with focus. I expected it would include instructions before and during landing not instructions how to handle a paper when you are of course keen to handle with care such papers. Caught off guard with the staple thing. Never encountered one before on any visa application.

It is a lesson learned. Anyone waiting for the visa, COPR, make sure not to do the same honest mistake I did.

Thank you all for responding.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thank you. I always do read instructions.

You would not really see it as an instruction similar to a test paper written before everything else. it is literally a separate file from the COPR. A long read which I definitely intended to read with focus. I expected it would include instructions before and during landing not instructions how to handle a paper when you are of course keen to handle with care such papers. Caught off guard with the staple thing. Never encountered one before on any visa application.

It is a lesson learned. Anyone waiting for the visa, COPR, make sure not to do the same honest mistake I did.

Thank you all for responding.
I've heard of people actually laminating their CoPR and then having it rejected when they apply for citizenship. Likewise their Canadian Citizenship Certificate and it being rejected when applying for a Canadian passport. Don't remember any cases where they have laminated a CoPR before landing though.

lef

Jul 31, 2017
I've heard of people actually laminating their CoPR and then having it rejected when they apply for citizenship.

oh no. maybe that is the reason they added the do not laminate on the additional information.
Maybe it was not their before and some people did it.

I hope everything turns out fine on my case.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
oh no. maybe that is the reason they added the do not laminate on the additional information.
Maybe it was not their before and some people did it.

I hope everything turns out fine on my case.
Good luck. The staple issue will not cause a problem. Some people have landed with torn COPRs and been ok. If the worst happens, CBSA can reprint them at the border now that they are using plain paper stock.