+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR received after 35 weeks of pregnancy

rachit2312

Nov 25, 2019
Hello everyone,

My first post on this forum. Let me first take you through the timeline:
Feb 4th 2019: Application submitted through Express Entry - Wife not pregnant
Mar 18th 2019: Passed the Medical Exam - Wife not pregnant
Nov 4th 2019: I received an email (read for visa) asking for passport and photographs - Wife pregnant 32 weeks
Nov 25th 2019: Application approved, COPR issued (Expiry Date: 4th Feb 2020) - Wife pregnant 35 weeks

Current Situation: Both my wife and I stay in USA and have applied from here. Now my wife's due date is between Dec 16-22. I am yet to receive my COPR (in mail). I have not declared my wife's pregnancy as there was no birth or adoption of child as asked in PPR email.

Plausible options:
1. I receive my COPR in this week and we travel by Monday in coming week, do the landing and come back by Tuesday in coming week
Pros: Our landing will be complete and we will receive our PR card in next couple of months. Also my wife's passport is expiring in May next year, so there will be no hassle of passport change etc. in the application process
Cons: Traveling in 36th week is not suggested and even airlines would not let us fly. We can drive/go by bus but that would put my wife's child birth in jeopardy. I have also read on this platform that sponsoring a child on your PR takes 6 months to 1 year time.

2. We give birth to our child in US, then we add him to existing application by declaring to CIC that my wife is 35/36 weeks pregnant after we recieve our COPR.
Pros: No health issues, adding a newborn to existing application would take less time as compared to sponsorship.
Cons: a. COPR might expire as it would be difficult to get birth certificate, passport, proof of funds (if applicable), medical of newborn etc.
b. Our medical might expire which might not get extension
c. My wife's passport is expiring so that would create issues.

Please suggest what should be done?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,

Nov 4th 2019: I received an email (read for visa) asking for passport and photographs - Wife pregnant 32 weeks
Nov 25th 2019: Application approved, COPR issued (Expiry Date: 4th Feb 2020) - Wife pregnant 35 weeks

Current Situation: Both my wife and I stay in USA and have applied from here. Now my wife's due date is between Dec 16-22. I am yet to receive my COPR (in mail). I have not declared my wife's pregnancy as there was no birth or adoption of child as asked in PPR email.

Plausible options:
1. I receive my COPR in this week and we travel by Monday in coming week, do the landing and come back by Tuesday in coming week
Pros: Our landing will be complete and we will receive our PR card in next couple of months. Also my wife's passport is expiring in May next year, so there will be no hassle of passport change etc. in the application process
Cons: Traveling in 36th week is not suggested and even airlines would not let us fly. We can drive/go by bus but that would put my wife's child birth in jeopardy. I have also read on this platform that sponsoring a child on your PR takes 6 months to 1 year time.

2. We give birth to our child in US, then we add him to existing application by declaring to CIC that my wife is 35/36 weeks pregnant after we recieve our COPR.
Pros: No health issues, adding a newborn to existing application would take less time as compared to sponsorship.
Cons: a. COPR might expire as it would be difficult to get birth certificate, passport, proof of funds (if applicable), medical of newborn etc.

Provided you inform IRCC of the birth before your COPR expires, your app will be re-opened to add the child. Expect another 4+ months of processing time. You may need to get new medical and your spouse will likely need a new passport.

Anpman

Apr 15, 2018
Hello everyone,

Plausible options:

My situation was also like urs..but I preferred to inform cic after I received mail asking to submit passports ...also I didn’t have passport expiry problem..my experience

My AOR 8th dec2018
Ppr mail-15th June 2019
Informed cic about pregnancy and delivery due in July ...cic replies back tat it has put on file on hold and inform them immediately after baby birth..
Baby born on july 16th,informed cic July 22nd...got a mail on same day to submit baby passport ,medical and fees by August 22nd..
Somehow collected all the documents and submitted on 15th August...
Received Ppr mail 26th August..
Sent passport and got COPR on 5th September,2019..
Landing was to be done by oct 25th,2019 ...which I did and got my PR..
I informed cic as I didn’t wanted to get into the process of sponsoring my kid..
My experience says u should inform cic and add ur kid in existing application..u will have time to do landing till March2020, by then u can easily get ur kids documents and renew ur wife s passport...
But I am not sure tat if it will be ok with cic that u wl inform them now after receiving COPR...

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Option 1 is risky not only because of late pregnancy, but it will mean additional hassle of sponsoring your child for PR in future.

Option 2 is better. Have the child first, then inform them immediately. Get the child's passport, add child to the application. All of you will get new COPR's, then perform your landing together.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not to mention that you may not have healthcare coverage or a permanent home before the baby arrived. You could have a baby on the way to Canada since it is not uncommon to have a baby anytime after 36 weeks.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Please go with option 2.

Adding a child to the application is very common and the only thing that will happen is you'll have to wait a few more months to get your CoPRs. With an infant to care for, you won't even notice the time passing! The expiring passport etc is not an issue, you can renew it. IRCC will give you the time you need to do that. They won't cancel your PR just because you had a baby - as long as you follow their rules.

Don't risk your wife and child's safety by traveling at this time. Stress-induced labor is not uncommon, and you don't want to be on a bus in the middle of nowhere and have your wife go into labor!

Also, by having your child in the US, s/he will be an American citizen. Depending on how you feel about the US, this may be an advantage for your kid later in life. S/he can be a dual US-Canadian citizen and will have the option to live, study, and work in both countries.

In summary - take care of your wife first and have a healthy and happy baby! Everything else can happen later. Good luck.

Reactions: Desean

merib

Jan 11, 2020
My situation was also like urs..but I preferred to inform cic after I received mail asking to submit passports ...also I didn’t have passport expiry problem..my experience

My AOR 8th dec2018
Ppr mail-15th June 2019
Informed cic about pregnancy and delivery due in July ...cic replies back tat it has put on file on hold and inform them immediately after baby birth..
Baby born on july 16th,informed cic July 22nd...got a mail on same day to submit baby passport ,medical and fees by August 22nd..
I informed cic as I didn’t wanted to get into the process of sponsoring my kid..
My experience says u should inform cic and add ur kid in existing application..u will have time to do landing till March2020, by then u can easily get ur kids documents and renew ur wife s passport...
But I am not sure tat if it will be ok with cic that u wl inform them now after receiving COPR...
Hi ANPMAN,

we are in the same situation, and we prefer to follow your path. My question though is what means did you use to inform CIC about the situation ? Webform?

Anpman

Apr 15, 2018
Hi ANPMAN,

we are in the same situation, and we prefer to follow your path. My question though is what means did you use to inform CIC about the situation ? Webform?
We used web form plus we send the email on the email is which was mentioned on the ppr mail ..they replied back thru email...

Reactions: Holyindividual

Holyindividual

Feb 11, 2020

My AOR 8th dec2018
Ppr mail-15th June 2019

How did you inform CIC about birth of baby ?

Did u send an email to Ottawa attaching baby birth certificate, Did you tell CIC name of the baby in the mail ?

Or did u raise a Webform attaching baby Birth certificate ?

Anpman

Apr 15, 2018
How did you inform CIC about birth of baby ?

Did u send an email to Ottawa attaching baby birth certificate, Did you tell CIC name of the baby in the mail ?

Or did u raise a Webform attaching baby Birth certificate ?
I informed cic thru web form plus email also..yes I sent the birth certificate..also baby was born in usa so he already had a name on birth certificate...

C.R

Nov 29, 2020
Hello everyone,

Plausible options:

Hello! Congrats for the baby! Can you tell us what did you do? and since your medicals were to expire before due date, did IRCC extend your medicals or ask for new ones? This would hep us know the procedure.
Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello! Congrats for the baby! Can you tell us what did you do? and since your medicals were to expire before due date, did IRCC extend your medicals or ask for new ones? This would hep us know the procedure.
Thanks!

Many of these options would no longer be available due to covid.

Ukraine2020

Apr 1, 2020
Many of these options would no longer be available due to covid.
What options are available then, if you don't mind me asking? We are in a similar situation: received new COPR (extended due to COVID), but my wife can no longer travel because of being at 33 week of pregnancy. The original plan was to land while she was at her earlier stages of pregnancy and deliver the baby in Canada, but COPR extension took much longer than we thought, unfortunately. We still have time before April 2021 to land, the due date is in March. So I'm thinking to land just myself, and we already asked for wife's COPR extension (only hers). Not sure how immigration authorities will look at this, especially with the virus thing going on. So worried, as it took us so much time to finally get PR approval, and now the pandemic has changed all the plans...