+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR or Visa for US Citizen

shyshy

Jun 3, 2012
My spouse has been asked to submit her passport to CPP-OTTAWA. As a US citizen, would she need to send her original USA passport or just copies of the passport?

Also will a visa permanent resident visa be issued or just a copr?

Thanks

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
If she is visa-exempt, then only a copy would normally be required.
Also, no visa is required in the passport, so only a CoPR would be issued.

However, if they have asked for the original passport, you have to send it, but I can't see why they would.

walmzd

Star Member
May 27, 2012
This is not a visit visa, it's an immigration visa where it's required to be stamped on the original passport even for the american one!
So the original is required for sure.

zardoz said:
If she is visa-exempt, then only a copy would normally be required.
Also, no visa is required in the passport, so only a CoPR would be issued.

However, if they have asked for the original passport, you have to send it, but I can't see why they would.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

walmzd said:
This is not a visit visa, it's an immigration visa where it's required to be stamped on the original passport even for the american one!
So the original is required for sure.
Wrong! Only Non visa exempt Immigrants have to send in their passports for a counterfoil, Visa exempt Immigrants only have to send in a copy of their passports. CIC still reserves the right to request the actual passport for Visa exempt Immigrants.

walmzd

Star Member
May 27, 2012
Don't judge when you don't know.

My son has an american passport and we've got our PR last month. When I submitted the passports, the VO asked for all passports including my american son's passport & the immigration visa has been stamped on his America passport!!!

PMM said:
Hi

Wrong! Only Non visa exempt Immigrants have to send in their passports for a counterfoil, Visa exempt Immigrants only have to send in a copy of their passports. CIC still reserves the right to request the actual passport for Visa exempt Immigrants.