+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CoPR - Landing in Ottawa

aaww

Star Member
Jan 18, 2016
Finally I got CoPR:) I have to say that this forum is really helpful. Thank you all for the advice during my application!

Now it comes a new question:
As a inland CEC, I'm planning to land in Ottawa IRCC office in a week or two. But I also read that it may take more than 6 weeks to get the PR card, and without the card, you can't re-enter Canada. I have a trip booked in early August to go back to my home country for a few weeks. In this case, should I wait and land after coming back? I'm worried that the card might not be ready if I land now.

Or can I land now and use my work permit and visitor visa to come back?

Reactions: lagoon19

kaykat27

Star Member
Apr 11, 2017
Finally I got CoPR:) I have to say that this forum is really helpful. Thank you all for the advice during my application!

Now it comes a new question:
As a inland CEC, I'm planning to land in Ottawa IRCC office in a week or two. But I also read that it may take more than 6 weeks to get the PR card, and without the card, you can't re-enter Canada. I have a trip booked in early August to go back to my home country for a few weeks. In this case, should I wait and land after coming back? I'm worried that the card might not be ready if I land now.

Or can I land now and use my work permit and visitor visa to come back?

You CANNOT use your work permit/visitor visa to come back. Once your COPR has been signed by an immigration officer you are a PR of Canad and any previous permits/visas are cancelled.

If you land at the border you have a better chance of getting the PR card in time for your trip (as you don't have to wait a couple of weeks for an appointment at the IRCC office - you can even go tomorrow to land), but the PR card processing time may be around ~60 days or more given the current trend.

You should be able land on your way back from your home country and it would be the safest opiton, You also have a choice of landing at the border and hoping the PR card would arrive before your departure, but it's really up to you.

Good luck!

Reactions: lagoon19

aaww

Star Member
Jan 18, 2016
You CANNOT use your work permit/visitor visa to come back. Once your COPR has been signed by an immigration officer you are a PR of Canad and any previous permits/visas are cancelled.

If you land at the border you have a better chance of getting the PR card in time for your trip (as you don't have to wait a couple of weeks for an appointment at the IRCC office - you can even go tomorrow to land), but the PR card processing time may be around ~60 days or more given the current trend.

You should be able land on your way back from your home country and it would be the safest opiton, You also have a choice of landing at the border and hoping the PR card would arrive before your departure, but it's really up to you.

Good luck!
Thanks kaykat27!
I just realized that I'll be landing at Montreal and then fly to Ottawa when I come back. Can I land at Montreal since I don't have a CSQ?

garyastudent

Sep 3, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks kaykat27!
I just realized that I'll be landing at Montreal and then fly to Ottawa when I come back. Can I land at Montreal since I don't have a CSQ?
I think it is not a possible option for you, If I remember correctly then the first Landing has to be anywhere in Canada other then Quebec. If you flight is via Montreal then your Landing point is Quebec which I think is not possible option for EE PR.

Wait for someone else as well to reply.

RiZ92

Aug 27, 2013
Thanks kaykat27!
It is totally fine to land in Montreal but you have to show your proof of address (driving license or photo ID) during landing plus connecting to ottawa as well.

Montreal will be your port of entry.

lagoon19

Apr 25, 2015

Good luck!
Thank you for your information, I am in the same situation now. I just got PPR 2 days ago and my passport just sent out to Ottawa. I really want to go back to home country this September but wondering if the PR card can make in in time. So I am thinking the option of landing at the way back from my trip. May it be any problem? Any other documents beside of the COPR and landing paper I have to carry with? Please share your idea. Thanks!