+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR how do I enter Canada

AJP1

Jun 10, 2017
Sorry if this has been discussed already but I have my COPR. I am unsure what I need to do next. Some people have said I need a single entry visa, which I did not receive with my COPR. Others have said eTA. I would like some clarification. I am a British Citizen.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Sorry if this has been discussed already but I have my COPR. I am unsure what I need to do next. Some people have said I need a single entry visa, which I did not receive with my COPR. Others have said eTA. I would like some clarification. I am a British Citizen.
You need to fly to Canada and land as a PR. You don't need a visa and an eTA was electronically issued to you when your COPR was granted.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
You received an electronic counterfoil at the same time as your COPR was issued, which means you can fly to Canada. This was explained in the documents you received.

Your airline may object, as they prefer to err on the side of caution, so you can get an eTA, and you can take to the airport the webpage at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1184&top=16

AJP1

Jun 10, 2017
It doesn't say that I have received an electronic counterfoil. My COPR says that it is not for travel. My CIC profile was updated to complete but it also says "action required" in one of the columns on the page before the specific visa.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
It doesn't say that I have received an electronic counterfoil. My COPR says that it is not for travel. My CIC profile was updated to complete but it also says "action required" in one of the columns on the page before the specific visa.
Your COPR itself is not a travel document, which is why it says that. The letter you received with it says
"Please note that as of December 1, 2011, citizens of visa-exempt countries will not have a counterfoil affixed to their passport. These applicants will only be issued a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) form and an electronic foil (IMM5785). For a list of visa-exempt countries, please see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp#exemptions . This may mean that some of your family members required a counterfoil in their passport while others were issued COPRs and electronic foils only.
Note that if your children do not have passports, but are listed in your passport or your spouse’s passport, their counterfoil, if required, is affixed in that passport."

As explained above, you are able to travel without an eTA if you have a COPR due to the electronic foil, but you could get an eTA if you wished to avoid any trouble with the airline (see link to CIC posted above explaining that you don't need the eTA).

AJP1

Jun 10, 2017
Your COPR itself is not a travel document, which is why it says that. The letter you received with it says
"Please note that as of December 1, 2011, citizens of visa-exempt countries will not have a counterfoil affixed to their passport. These applicants will only be issued a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) form and an electronic foil (IMM5785). For a list of visa-exempt countries, please see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp#exemptions . This may mean that some of your family members required a counterfoil in their passport while others were issued COPRs and electronic foils only.
Note that if your children do not have passports, but are listed in your passport or your spouse’s passport, their counterfoil, if required, is affixed in that passport."

As explained above, you are able to travel without an eTA if you have a COPR due to the electronic foil, but you could get an eTA if you wished to avoid any trouble with the airline (see link to CIC posted above explaining that you don't need the eTA).

My letter actually says
"Please note that as of December 1, 2011, citizens of visa-exempt countries will not have a counterfoil affixed to their passport. These applicants will only be issued a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR). For a list of visa-exempt countries, please see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp#exemptions . This may mean that some of your family members required a counterfoil in their passport while others were issued COPRs and electronic foils only.

So it is unclear if there is an electronic foil.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
.... I have no idea how you successfully filled in the forms, or what you want to be told.

Fly there doing nothing. Get an eTA in advance. Get a Nigerian transit visa and a Mongolian tent. Stand on your head. Doing anything in that list makes the exact same amount of difference (no, literally) to your ability to get to Canada.

AJP1

Jun 10, 2017
.... I have no idea how you successfully filled in the forms, or what you want to be told.

Fly there doing nothing. Get an eTA in advance. Get a Nigerian transit visa and a Mongolian tent. Stand on your head. Doing anything in that list makes the exact same amount of difference (no, literally) to your ability to get to Canada.
There is no need to be insouciant. Getting to this point has been time consuming and quite costly. I am aware that some people have had difficulty arriving into Canada with no PR card, so I just want to make sure I don't fall at the final hurdle. I successfully filled in the forms by completing the steps necessary as directed with the information provided by CIC; and asking questions when there was any level of uncertainty.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
There is no need to be insouciant. Getting to this point has been time consuming and quite costly. I am aware that some people have had difficulty arriving into Canada with no PR card, so I just want to make sure I don't fall at the final hurdle. I successfully filled in the forms by completing the steps necessary as directed with the information provided by CIC; and asking questions when there was any level of uncertainty.
You've been told the same thing four times by three people, and they've all said the same thing as IRCC had already told you, and published online; hence, above.

Incidentally, nobody landing has a PR card, because they can't possibly have one until they become a PR, which happens after landing - their difficulty is completely different, because they are a PR travelling without PR documentation (so they must get temporary PR documentation, in the form of a PRTD, or else travel via the land border).

AJP1

Jun 10, 2017
You've been told the same thing four times by three people, and they've all said the same thing as IRCC had already told you, and published online; hence, above.

Incidentally, nobody landing has a PR card, because they can't possibly have one until they become a PR, which happens after landing - their difficulty is completely different, because they are a PR travelling without PR documentation (so they must get temporary PR documentation, in the form of a PRTD, or else travel via the land border).
I realise that no one has a PR card upon landing. However the link on the accompanying letter and the link you have put here offers these options:
A citizen of Canada and another country (dual citizen)
A permanent resident of Canada (PR Card)
A refugee travelling with a document for non-citizens
A stateless person travelling with an alien’s passport
None of the above
I am a permanent resident with no PR card, so I would fall into the None of the above category, which would mean I do need an eTA. Yes three people have said I have a eTA automatically attached to my passport, however it does not implicitly say that on my accompanying letter nor has anyone linked me to an actual page online that says I do not need a eTA. So, no, it really isn't all that clear.

I'll just not ask anything next time so I don't have to seem stupid to someone who knows everything.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
I realise that no one has a PR card upon landing. However the link on the accompanying letter and the link you have put here offers these options:
A citizen of Canada and another country (dual citizen)
A permanent resident of Canada (PR Card)
A refugee travelling with a document for non-citizens
A stateless person travelling with an alien’s passport
None of the above
I am a permanent resident with no PR card, so I would fall into the None of the above category, which would mean I do need an eTA. Yes three people have said I have a eTA automatically attached to my passport, however it does not implicitly say that on my accompanying letter nor has anyone linked me to an actual page online that says I do not need a eTA. So, no, it really isn't all that clear.

I'll just not ask anything next time so I don't have to seem stupid to someone who knows everything.
You aren't a PR. At this point, you're just a British citizen. You are quite likely to become a PR in the near future, but you aren't one yet.

The letter you're quoting sets out the position for visa-requiring citizens (counterfoil attached and provided) and visa-exempt citizens (electronic counterfoil only). The tool allows you to confirm which one of those you are.

You have already been linked to an official page which says you do not need an eTA.

AJP1

Jun 10, 2017
You aren't a PR. At this point, you're just a British citizen. You are quite likely to become a PR in the near future, but you aren't one yet.

The letter you're quoting sets out the position for visa-requiring citizens (counterfoil attached and provided) and visa-exempt citizens (electronic counterfoil only). The tool allows you to confirm which one of those you are.

You have already been linked to an official page which says you do not need an eTA.
Thanks for the advice