+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR Extension request - Approval : New Documents

sajay10

Aug 15, 2020
Hi, I am new here, so sorry if this was answered somewhere else. My COPR expires in November, but I don't think I will find a job till then. Having a job in the US, I am not inclined to go to Canada without a job (now that soft landings are not permitted). Can I choose not to travel this year and ask for COPR extension next year?

nipsey

Feb 11, 2020
Hi, I am new here, so sorry if this was answered somewhere else. My COPR expires in November, but I don't think I will find a job till then. Having a job in the US, I am not inclined to go to Canada without a job (now that soft landings are not permitted). Can I choose not to travel this year and ask for COPR extension next year?
Why not just go, avail and come back in 3 weeks or so?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Two reasons:
- I will need a new stamp, which I am not sure if I will be able to obtain now
- Canada is discouraging soft landings
Hopefully they’ll realize far to many individuals were doing a soft landing with really no solid plans to permanently move, hence the term Permanent Resident, and adjust policy moving forward

Reactions: jaganv117

vikas.trades25

Jan 8, 2019
I had my CoPR approved before March 2020 and it expired mid-June 2020. I did not travel earlier due to the pandemic and now I have raised a webform, regarding the next steps to do. I have a valid H-1b visa.
I want to do a soft landing via land from Buffalo and planning to come the same day or a 2-week quarantine, but definitely plan to return. But seeing posts here, it seems that they want people to do a permanent move and asking additional documents stating this intention to stay.

I have already raised a IRCC webform yesterday stating that I plan to travel now. Would this cause any issue, if I wait for some more time, till travel restrictions are lifted. What should be my plan of action

stuthibalaji

Sep 15, 2020
Hi folks. My husband and I are currently in the US. Our CoPR was issued on March 11th and expired on June 26th. We live in New York City, and the situation was pretty intense during the pandemic. We informed IRCC about not being able to travel before document expiry. We are now confident to move and settle, and both of us will work for our US based employers. I have three questions.
1. I submitted a web form 2 weeks ago, saying we are ready to travel, but haven't heard back. Any idea on the timelines on when I can expect a response? Should I start looking for an apartment or wait until I hear back?
2. I plan to register a company in Canada and work for my US employer as an individual contractor. In case they ask about employment, is that valid? My husband will continue to work for the US based employer in the same way he is currently working.
3. Is there a chance that CoPR extensions can be denied? I read it was denied on another thread on this forum, and it has stressed me out.

Appreciate any information.

Thank you.

usa2canada2021

Nov 11, 2020
Hi folks. My husband and I are currently in the US. Our CoPR was issued on March 11th and expired on June 26th. We live in New York City, and the situation was pretty intense during the pandemic. We informed IRCC about not being able to travel before document expiry. We are now confident to move and settle, and both of us will work for our US based employers. I have three questions.
1. I submitted a web form 2 weeks ago, saying we are ready to travel, but haven't heard back. Any idea on the timelines on when I can expect a response? Should I start looking for an apartment or wait until I hear back?
2. I plan to register a company in Canada and work for my US employer as an individual contractor. In case they ask about employment, is that valid? My husband will continue to work for the US based employer in the same way he is currently working.
3. Is there a chance that CoPR extensions can be denied? I read it was denied on another thread on this forum, and it has stressed me out.

Appreciate any information.

Thank you.
Hi @stuthibalaji,

- Did you hear back from IRCC?
- If yes, then how long did IRCC take to respond?
- Is your COPR extended? and if yes then did they again ask for passport or just gave AL?
- How long was the COPR extended for?

Moni9987

Nov 12, 2020
Hi @stuthibalaji @sajay10,

I am in the same boat. Have pressing reasons to move to canada from US permanently! Raised multiple webforms since August with all the required docs but no response other than the generic replies.Have you heard from Ircc yet? Any suggestions will be helpful, Tia!!

Moni9987

Nov 12, 2020
I had my CoPR approved before March 2020 and it expired mid-June 2020. I did not travel earlier due to the pandemic and now I have raised a webform, regarding the next steps to do. I have a valid H-1b visa.
I want to do a soft landing via land from Buffalo and planning to come the same day or a 2-week quarantine, but definitely plan to return. But seeing posts here, it seems that they want people to do a permanent move and asking additional documents stating this intention to stay.

I have already raised a IRCC webform yesterday stating that I plan to travel now. Would this cause any issue, if I wait for some more time, till travel restrictions are lifted. What should be my plan of action
Hi, did you get your COPR extension?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Two reasons:
- I will need a new stamp, which I am not sure if I will be able to obtain now
- Canada is discouraging soft landings
1.My suggestion is to use AVR while coming back to US.
2. Better plan for 14-day quarantine and finish off this thingy and you are good to come back to settle whenever you want. Because the extension of COPR is taking unexpected twists and extra questionnaire which you do not want to go through.

Milehighguy

Feb 19, 2020
Hi Folks,
I am in the same boat. Just received an email from IRCC asking if I can travel to Canada before 03/2021 else I'll have to get all the medicals done again. I am in the US and currently in the middle of Passport renewal which you might have known is worst after VFS got the contract. Its been over a month on my passport renewal and havent got it back. Back to the point, I am not ready to travel to Canada yet but I dont want to get into complications with the CoPR and get this done once and for all. Can I go for may be for 20 days and comeback ? What additional documents or questions should I be prepared with ? Any one had done something similar recently ?

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
Hi Folks,
I am in the same boat. Just received an email from IRCC asking if I can travel to Canada before 03/2021 else I'll have to get all the medicals done again. I am in the US and currently in the middle of Passport renewal which you might have known is worst after VFS got the contract. Its been over a month on my passport renewal and havent got it back. Back to the point, I am not ready to travel to Canada yet but I dont want to get into complications with the CoPR and get this done once and for all. Can I go for may be for 20 days and comeback ? What additional documents or questions should I be prepared with ? Any one had done something similar recently ?
Have you had any update on your profile ?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi Folks,
Hope you get your Passport soon. I did tatkal to be away from this VFS dramas. i understand your situation. You should get it soon. dont worry.

For landing: You need your passport, COPR and make list of goods that you want to bring in while you move so that you can fill them when they ask you to fill the Goods to follow form while landing. Also be prepared to stay there for 14-days. As there is a mandatory quarantine on Canada side once you enter. So make preparations like booking airbnb and getting groceries from Usa(if travelling by road).

while returning to US, your both passports and valid i797A, if you are travelling by road.

Thanks.

Last edited: