+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR Expired

Jay Clayton

Jun 16, 2022
Hello everyone. If someone can please share their experience it would be appreciated. I’m an American citizen from New York City & I completed the permanent residence application through spousal sponsorship. Due to personal family circumstances & other factors that I have proof off I want able to land in Canada as a permanent resident. I reached out to IRCC on the webform & I was told by IRCC to contact the Visa Application office in New York through email. My medical expired on March 3rd 2022. I emailed the visa office and was told this.
Dear Sir,

The Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) has expired and, as a result, cannot be used for landing.

This office will request an extension of your medical result, which will in turn, extend the validity of the CoPR.

If a new medical exam is required, this office will advise you in the coming days.

Advise this office if you intend to remain in Canada for the near future as we may be able to coordinate with an IRCC office inland for in-Canada landing.

Kindly await further instructions.

Consulate General of Canada / Consulat Général du Canada
466 Lexington Avenue, 20th Floor, New York, NY 10017

would they grant the extension if I received this message ?

gnanacapr

Dec 13, 2022
Hi Jay, I'm in a similar situation like you. I didn't land in Canada before my COPR expiry date December 4 2022, due to my health issue. I've submitted a webform and waiting for reply. Please reply whether you got your COPR extended. If so, please guide me what should I do to get my COPR extended.

Jay Clayton

Jun 16, 2022
hey gnanacapr everyone’s situation is different when it comes to IRCC depending on if your visa exempt to go to Canada. I moved to Canada with expired documents & waited 6 months in Canada for them to extend my medical. I have family here so I had huge support while I figured things out. I had to take a new medical exam which cost me another 400$ on top of what I paid. Depending on the volume of applicants is a major factor in how fast you’ll receive a response . First ASAP reach out to the General consulate of Canada in the country that processed your visa application go online and you should be able to navigate the government of Canada website and find a email to contact them I got the fastest email response through them it’s faster than a webform (do not & I repeat do not contact VFS Global they will not help you their contractors). I advise you if you are in Canada to reach out to the Mp member of parliament in the city and province you were supposed to be living in. ( it can be done remotely too). I’m currently a permanent resident with my pr card so my situation was resolved. I used covid as a reason for me not being able to make it & the fact that I confused the expiration date with the landing date. During my move here in April covid was still a thing I’m not sure if IRCC is accepting that reason at this current moment. I’d show documentation & proof of the health condition to IRCC. They usually want a good explanation for why you didn’t land. At this current moment they can either extend your medical or they can make you redo the medical. Depending on what can be proven they can make you redo the application and re submit everything but I doubt that will be done. They’d rather extend the medical or make you take a new one than have to process your application all over again. Their extremely busy & they don’t want additional work loads. They rather focus on unprocessed applications so don’t stress yourself out. This is all man made. Below I’ll give you an example of the website and email I’m talking about it’s just an example don’t email the visa application center in New York City if that’s not where you’re from. Example this is only for people who did their application in New York. If you have more questions send me a email with where what part of the world you did your application in & I’ll respond with that information of who to email. (My email address jayc12570@gmail.com) that’s only for New York it’s a example cngny.td@international.gc.ca

Last edited:

gnanacapr

Dec 13, 2022
Thanks Jay for your reply. I've submitted a webform already and waiting for response. I've also found the email of Consulate General for my country and I'll email them as well. I hope they just ask me to redo medical than start from scratch

hanzel willis

Star Member
Jul 19, 2022
Thanks Jay for your reply. I've submitted a webform already and waiting for response. I've also found the email of Consulate General for my country Kodi nox and I'll email them as well. I hope they just ask me to redo medical than start from scratch
Is there a standard form to email them ?