+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CoPR Expired, H1B Entry Suspended.

datlb90

Jun 24, 2020
I’m currently residing in the US on H1B visa and my CoRP has already expired. I recently asked to extend my CoPR due to travel restrictions caused by the pandemic. IRCC told me that my application will not be refused, and that I should notify them when I’m able to travel. However, a new executive order was signed by President Trump yesterday that suspends entry of all H1B visa holders until at least December 30, 2020. My US entry visa has already been expired which means that I won’t be able to come back to the US if I come to Canada to complete the landing procedures before December 30. I already submitted a web form asking if CoPR can be extended for 6 months. Does anyone here have CoPR extended for that long? Please let me know what you would do if you are in the same situation. Many thanks!

liketech

Jul 9, 2018
Look into "Automatic Visa Revalidation". If you use a land border with Canada and Mexico you don't need visa stamp. Your existing I-797 is enough.

That said, there is always a risk when you are trying to enter US. And get a lawyer guys - seriously. There are things which have major impact on your life. Get good legal advice.

tankala13

Feb 22, 2012
I’m currently residing in the US on H1B visa and my CoRP has already expired. I recently asked to extend my CoPR due to travel restrictions caused by the pandemic. IRCC told me that my application will not be refused, and that I should notify them when I’m able to travel. However, a new executive order was signed by President Trump yesterday that suspends entry of all H1B visa holders until at least December 30, 2020. My US entry visa has already been expired which means that I won’t be able to come back to the US if I come to Canada to complete the landing procedures before December 30. I already submitted a web form asking if CoPR can be extended for 6 months. Does anyone here have CoPR extended for that long? Please let me know what you would do if you are in the same situation. Many thanks!
They should be able to extend it. You may be asked to redo your medical exam. Normally COPR expiry date is expiry of medical exam or the passport date (which ever is earlier). Years ago when PR used to take > 12 months, they used to extend your Medical by a year after reassessing the reports. So I think they may do something similar now.

datlb90

Jun 24, 2020
Look into "Automatic Visa Revalidation". If you use a land border with Canada and Mexico you don't need visa stamp. Your existing I-797 is enough.

That said, there is always a risk when you are trying to enter US. And get a lawyer guys - seriously. There are things which have major impact on your life. Get good legal advice.
Thanks for your response and advise. I did look into AVR but it seems like valid I94 is required. My I94 already expired 1 year ago.

Yes, you are right about consulting with a lawyer. I will try to talk to one about this matter. Thanks again for your time.

datlb90

Jun 24, 2020
They should be able to extend it. You may be asked to redo your medical exam. Normally COPR expiry date is expiry of medical exam or the passport date (which ever is earlier). Years ago when PR used to take > 12 months, they used to extend your Medical by a year after reassessing the reports. So I think they may do something similar now.
Hopefully that will be the case. We’ll find out in a couple of days when we get a response from IRCC. Thank you for your time and support!

Kiara02

Star Member
Jan 14, 2020
Thanks for your response and advise. I did look into AVR but it seems like valid I94 is required. My I94 already expired 1 year ago.

Yes, you are right about consulting with a lawyer. I will try to talk to one about this matter. Thanks again for your time.
Are you on H1B extension? If yes, your approval notice should come along with extended I94.
Or did you convert from OPT to H1 and haven’t stepped outside US since then?

datlb90

Jun 24, 2020
Are you on H1B extension? If yes, your approval notice should come along with extended I94.
Or did you convert from OPT to H1 and haven’t stepped outside US since then?
Yes, I found the extended I94 in my new H1B approval notice. I did some research and it seems like I can use this for coming back to the States after staying in Canada for quarantine. However, I will wait until hearing back from IRCC on the new extension request because I’m not sure if AVR is affected by the new executive order. It just seems a bit risky to travel at this time.

Kiara02

Star Member
Jan 14, 2020
Yes, I found the extended I94 in my new H1B approval notice. I did some research and it seems like I can use this for coming back to the States after staying in Canada for quarantine. However, I will wait until hearing back from IRCC on the new extension request because I’m not sure if AVR is affected by the new executive order. It just seems a bit risky to travel at this time.
true. AVR is not affected but not advised during the ban (Soure linked)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.am22tech.com/automatic-revalidation-visa-usa/?amp

vj12

Oct 26, 2018

Follow up question - Is it possible to cross the boarder, do soft landing and return immediately?
As I understand, it is mandatory to quarantine in Canada for 14 days after entering.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Follow up question - Is it possible to cross the boarder, do soft landing and return immediately?
As I understand, it is mandatory to quarantine in Canada for 14 days after entering.
It's mandatory to do the 14 day quarantine. You can't return immediately.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Canada isn’t going to give you a 6 month extension so that you can work in the US. Normally there are never COPR extensions. The pandemic is a rare situation and there are current options to come from Canada to the US so technically you could likely arrive tomorrow if you wanted.

butterflyins

Star Member
Nov 17, 2019
Hi there OP,
Were you able to get your extension from IRCC? Any specific instructions from them regarding the medical exam etc.?