+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR - Destination City question - help please!

db_007

Star Member
Jan 16, 2018
Hi all,

We've got our PR and are excitedly making our plans - yay!

We listed Edmonton as our city of destination in our Alberta PNP/PR application (and our COPR states 'Edmonton' as our Destination City) as at the time we were aiming for there, however have since decided we'd like to be nearer Calgary.

We land in Canada this summer, however our Immigration Consultant says we need to go straight to Edmonton and provide an address for there in order to activate our Permanent Residency cards. We're freaking out as I've read it can take up to 6-8 weeks to get the card, and we want to be further south settling the kids in before school starts/finding work etc.

Has anyone else had this problem??

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Your consultant is wrong.

You can enter Canada wherever you want (except possibly Quebec) and set up home in Calgary instead of Edmonton if you want.

Reactions: db_007

db_007

Star Member
Jan 16, 2018
Your consultant is wrong.

You can enter Canada wherever you want (except possibly Quebec) and set up home in Calgary instead of Edmonton if you want.
Well I could understand him suggesting to not enter in another Province as we’ve signed-up to Alberta, but was surprised he suggested a diff landing place in Alberta would cause issues.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Well I could understand him suggesting to not enter in another Province as we’ve signed-up to Alberta, but was surprised he suggested a diff landing place in Alberta would cause issues.
Stupid consultant. It is perfectly fine for you to go to Calgary. Even landing in another province is fine with proof of ongoing travel to the PNP province.

Reactions: db_007

legro

Star Member
May 18, 2015
App. Filed.......
09-06-2015
Med's Request
18-07-2015
Med's Done....
upfront, 21-07-2015
LANDED..........
06-09-2015
Hi all,

We've got our PR and are excitedly making our plans - yay!

We listed Edmonton as our city of destination in our Alberta PNP/PR application (and our COPR states 'Edmonton' as our Destination City) as at the time we were aiming for there, however have since decided we'd like to be nearer Calgary.

We land in Canada this summer, however our Immigration Consultant says we need to go straight to Edmonton and provide an address for there in order to activate our Permanent Residency cards. We're freaking out as I've read it can take up to 6-8 weeks to get the card, and we want to be further south settling the kids in before school starts/finding work etc.

Has anyone else had this problem??
Was your PR based on provincial nomination? This matters, because you must show the intention to live in the province that nominated you to get your PR card otherwise the agent can cancel your PR AT LANDING. Other than these conditions, you are fine.

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Was your PR based on provincial nomination? This matters, because you must show the intention to live in the province that nominated you to get your PR card otherwise the agent can cancel your PR AT LANDING.
OP is asking about a destination city of Edmonton and a plan to settle in Calgary.

Last time I checked, Edmonton was about 3 hours north of Calgary and still in the same province.

Reactions: Tavensektor

legro

Star Member
May 18, 2015
App. Filed.......
09-06-2015
Med's Request
18-07-2015
Med's Done....
upfront, 21-07-2015
LANDED..........
06-09-2015
My answer still remains the same. Just letting him know what applies when it comes to residence. Just so he
OP is asking about a destination city of Edmonton and a plan to settle in Calgary.

Last time I checked, Edmonton was about 3 hours north of Calgary and still in the same province.
My answer still remains the same. Just letting him know the rule that applies to residence. Your response is no different from mine, Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My answer still remains the same. Just letting him know what applies when it comes to residence. Just so he

My answer still remains the same. Just letting him know the rule that applies to residence. Your response is no different from mine, Thanks.
As they very clearly state they applied through Alberta PNP and both cities they mention are in Alberta, it is irrelevant.

Reactions: k.h.p.

legro

Star Member
May 18, 2015
App. Filed.......
09-06-2015
Med's Request
18-07-2015
Med's Done....
upfront, 21-07-2015
LANDED..........
06-09-2015
As they very clearly state they applied through Alberta PNP and both cities they mention are in Alberta, it is irrelevant.
That is your opinion. I just gave my opinion. If it is irrelevant to you, it may be relevant to someone else who may want to know

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
That is your opinion. I just gave my opinion. If it is irrelevant to you, it may be relevant to someone else who may want to know
Yes, the next time someone asks about landing in a different city in the same province, it will give them great relief to know that landing in a different province may cause them issues if they don't have proof of intention to reside in the nominated province, which they do, because they're landing in the same province. It will give them so much information that will be of no use to them it will be miraculous.

legro

Star Member
May 18, 2015
App. Filed.......
09-06-2015
Med's Request
18-07-2015
Med's Done....
upfront, 21-07-2015
LANDED..........
06-09-2015
Yes, the next time someone asks about landing in a different city in the same province, it will give them great relief to know that landing in a different province may cause them issues if they don't have proof of intention to reside in the nominated province, which they do, because they're landing in the same province. It will give them so much information that will be of no use to them it will be miraculous.
Like I said, it may not be useful to you, but it may be useful to another.

Newbie82

Mar 2, 2020
I appreciate all your help and advice everyone, just wish us luck with the move pls! Xx
Hi, We are facing the same dilemma. We are SINP nominated. We intend to live in Saskatoon and on the COPR it is mentioned as Regina. Our ongoing flight from Toronto would be to Saskatoon and also the mailing address for the PR Cards would be Saskatoon. Is it ok to reveal this to the immigration officer in Toronto when he questions is about our final destination and mailing address?

db_007

Star Member
Jan 16, 2018
Hi, We are facing the same dilemma. We are SINP nominated. We intend to live in Saskatoon and on the COPR it is mentioned as Regina. Our ongoing flight from Toronto would be to Saskatoon and also the mailing address for the PR Cards would be Saskatoon. Is it ok to reveal this to the immigration officer in Toronto when he questions is about our final destination and mailing address?
I was told that as long as we live in the Province of our Nomination, it was fine. We’ve landed and live in Canmore, not Edmonton, and that wasn’t an issue for Immigration. Good luck! :)