+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CoPR before marriage

sam406

Jan 14, 2018
Hello,
I have an approved CoPR and visa stamp on my passport. When I applied, I did it as a single applicant.
But, now i am getting married here in the US and my wife is a US citizen.

1)Can my wife travel to Canada with me after marriage to get just my PR and we together come back to the States?
2) Even after marriage, can she apply individually for Express Entry on her own without me sponsoring her?
If so, then will I face any mirepresenation consequences in future, because when I applied I was single and now I am getting married, but spouse is a visa exempt country’s citizen (US in this case).

I just want to go get my PR after marriage and come back to United States with her, without sponsoring or adding her to my application.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I just want to go get my PR after marriage and come back to United States with her, without sponsoring or adding her to my application.
You cant land on a "single" COPR if you are married. This is serious misrepresentation.

If you haven't landed yet then after marriage you MUST add your spouse to your app and she must pass a medical exam. Absolutely no exceptions

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hello,
I have an approved CoPR and visa stamp on my passport. When I applied, I did it as a single applicant.
But, now i am getting married here in the US and my wife is a US citizen.

1)Can my wife travel to Canada with me after marriage to get just my PR and we together come back to the States?
2) Even after marriage, can she apply individually for Express Entry on her own without me sponsoring her?
If so, then will I face any mirepresenation consequences in future, because when I applied I was single and now I am getting married, but spouse is a visa exempt country’s citizen (US in this case).

1) You could land as PR in Canada......go back to USA and then marry your spouse after landing.......if you marry before landing and do not inform IRCC of the change of your marital status..........that will be misrepresentation.........which could impact your PR and your spouse can't be sponsored in the future.

2) Don't land as PR.......Marry your spouse........inform IRCC of the change of your marital status........return COPR.......add spouse to application......get new COPR to include spouse......land in Canada as PR..........go back to USA.

Also, don't forget that PR in Canada......need to reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period to maintain their PR Status.

Last edited: