+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR as a single entry visa

alexb

Nov 17, 2012
Hey guys,

Any day now I'm getting my passport back from CPP Ottawa with COPR. I want to travel for new years. Do I understand correctly that the COPR is like a single entry visa and that I can leave Canada and come back with just it?

I'm asking because I've read that after landing, say if you take the flag pole route, you can't travel without a PR card, which would take like 2 months to get after landing.

fullofsunshine

Star Member
Nov 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 9th, 2012
AOR Received.
Jan 8th, 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
July 21, 2013
Med's Done....
Aug 3, 2013
Passport Req..
Sept 4, 2013
LANDED..........
Oct 26, 2013
Hi alexb,

I'm afraid that you can't use COPR as a entry visa unless you are travel by your own car. Please check the link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=064&t=10
And for now, the PR card has been in the delayed process. I will take you more than 2 months to get it. I' have been waiting for my card for almost 2 months now and need to travel by the end of the year. I'm suffering due to the delay process. Highly recommend you don't land before your travel for new years.

alexb said:
Hey guys,

Any day now I'm getting my passport back from CPP Ottawa with COPR. I want to travel for new years. Do I understand correctly that the COPR is like a single entry visa and that I can leave Canada and come back with just it?

I'm asking because I've read that after landing, say if you take the flag pole route, you can't travel without a PR card, which would take like 2 months to get after landing.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
alexb said:
Hey guys,

No, you are incorrect. A COPR cannot be used as a travel document. If you are not visa-exempt, you require either a PR card or a PR Travel Document, unless you are just going via private vehicle from the USA over a land border. (Private vehicle can include by foot).

alexb

Nov 17, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm in Canada currently, and my temporary resident visas are long expired. Can I leave the country with the COPR and then land? I understand that COPR is not a travel document, but when requesting my passport, CPP -Ottawa wrote

The issuance of your visa(s) cannot be delayed so it is important for you to submit your passport(s) as soon as possible. An expiration date (dd/mm/yy) will be indicated on your visa and/or on your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR – IMM 5688), and you must obtain permanent residence on or before that date. The visas and CoPR cannot be extended. If you are not prepared to live permanently in Canada immediately after your permanent residence is granted, please consult the CIC website regarding your obligations to retain your status in Canada.
i.e. So as I understood a visa will also be issued to be able to land. What I want to do is use that visa to enter back into Canada to land after my travels.

fullofsunshine

Star Member
Nov 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 9th, 2012
AOR Received.
Jan 8th, 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
July 21, 2013
Med's Done....
Aug 3, 2013
Passport Req..
Sept 4, 2013
LANDED..........
Oct 26, 2013
Now I'm confused about your situation. You said you are waiting for passport with a visa on it, right? You won't get COPR with the passport as you only receive COPR after you land. I guess in your case, you want to use the visa on the passport to land. Yes, you can use that visa to enter Canada at international airport, which is also considered as a type of landing.

alexb said:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm in Canada currently, and my temporary resident visas are long expired. Can I leave the country with the COPR and then land? I understand that COPR is not a travel document, but when requesting my passport, CPP -Ottawa wrote

i.e. So as I understood a visa will also be issued to be able to land. What I want to do is use that visa to enter back into Canada to land after my travels.

alexb

Nov 17, 2012
fullofsunshine said:
Now I'm confused about your situation. You said you are waiting for passport with a visa on it, right? You won't get COPR with the passport as you only receive COPR after you land. I guess in your case, you want to use the visa on the passport to land. Yes, you can use that visa to enter Canada at international airport, which is also considered as a type of landing.
I'm sorry, I'm confused myself a bit. I thought the term visa was used interchangeably with COPR, and that COPR is issued when you send in your passport.

But this is a huge relief for me, I was afraid that I'd have to wait for my PR card to travel. Thanks, fullofsunshine.

fullofsunshine

Star Member
Nov 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 9th, 2012
AOR Received.
Jan 8th, 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
July 21, 2013
Med's Done....
Aug 3, 2013
Passport Req..
Sept 4, 2013
LANDED..........
Oct 26, 2013
You are welcome. You don't need to worry as long as you receive your passport. All the best!

alexb said:
I'm sorry, I'm confused myself a bit. I thought the term visa was used interchangeably with COPR, and that COPR is issued when you send in your passport.

But this is a huge relief for me, I was afraid that I'd have to wait for my PR card to travel. Thanks, fullofsunshine.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I think that I understand now what you are planning to do.

You intend to use the IM -1 visa to return to Canada after leaving as a non-PR and coming back to formally "land" as a PR? If so, that's fine.
Once you have "landed", the IM -1 visa is cancelled.