+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and travel under COVID

AliTalia

Jun 30, 2020
Hi,

I live in Canada, received my COPR before March 18th, but did not get a landing interview yet. I received another document in April that said this:

"In the meantime [until I send my pictures for the PR card], this letter will serve as proof of your permanent resident status in Canada. You can use this letter for one year and it must be accompanied by a travel document or a federal/provincial/territorial identity document. "

Do they mean a travel document such as my Italian passport, or a PRTD? and a provincial identity document like a Canadian driver's licence?

I haven't gotten around to mailing the pictures because COVID and I haven't been contacted for a phone or online landing interview.

I am trying to travel back to Italy at the end of July and I am planning to come back to Canada on August 18. I read on the IRCC website that a way to validate a COPR is to travel outside of Canada and have a landing interview at the airport (in my case when I come back). Can that be my case since I got my COPR before travel restrictions were put in place?

Also, I have a quarantine plan for when I come back since I live here.

Do I need the PRTD? From what I read in the application it seems it applies to people who are not in Canada or lost their PR card.

I Will contact the call centre on Wednesday, but in the meantime thank you so much for any leads you might be able to give me.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I live in Canada, received my COPR before March 18th, but did not get a landing interview yet. I received another document in April that said this:

"In the meantime [until I send my pictures for the PR card], this letter will serve as proof of your permanent resident status in Canada. You can use this letter for one year and it must be accompanied by a travel document or a federal/provincial/territorial identity document. "

Do they mean a travel document such as my Italian passport, or a PRTD? and a provincial identity document like a Canadian driver's licence?

I haven't gotten around to mailing the pictures because COVID and I haven't been contacted for a phone or online landing interview.

I am trying to travel back to Italy at the end of July and I am planning to come back to Canada on August 18. I read on the IRCC website that a way to validate a COPR is to travel outside of Canada and have a landing interview at the airport (in my case when I come back). Can that be my case since I got my COPR before travel restrictions were put in place?

Also, I have a quarantine plan for when I come back since I live here.

Do I need the PRTD? From what I read in the application it seems it applies to people who are not in Canada or lost their PR card.

I Will contact the call centre on Wednesday, but in the meantime thank you so much for any leads you might be able to give me.
Yes you will need a PRTD. You may have difficulty getting one in 3 weeks. It would have been possible before covid but post covid it is unclear. You will not get your PR card before your departure.

AliTalia

Jun 30, 2020
But why are other people doing soft landing?

And what's the difference if your COPR was sent before March 18 or after? Doesn't it say it you received it before March 18th you are exempt from travel restrictions?

Thank you, just trying to understand why I can't to soft landing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But why are other people doing soft landing?

And what's the difference if your COPR was sent before March 18 or after? Doesn't it say it you received it before March 18th you are exempt from travel restrictions?

Thank you, just trying to understand why I can't to soft landing.
You landed already but haven’t received your PR card. The travel restrictions are for those who have not landed yet. You have landed so now must meet the travel requirement for PRs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But how can I be landed if I haven't had a landing interview?
They skipped the landing interview due to covid and that’s why you got the document telling you that this was to be kept as your COPR, that you were a PR and you need to send pictures to get a PR card. Would recommend reading your documentation again.