+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and H1b

STCVer

Apr 10, 2013
Hi,

My PR was recently approved and I am planning to travel to Canada from US to get the PR Card and complete the landing formalities. I do have couple of questions on the same.

1. As mentioned, I am on H1B. I want to travel to Vancouver and apply for the PR card. I do want to return back to US as soon as possible after the landing. Would that create an issue?

2. Besides applying for SIN, what other formalities would be recommended to complete once I land in Canada?

3. On the PR my preferred destination was Ontario but I would be landing in Vancouver, would that be an issue?

4. I am not going to have tons of goods to follow as my family is still in the US. Would that create an issue?

5. When you cross the border if you have all your funds in the US bank account - do I still need to declare those funds to the customs?

Thanks

siroccoon

Feb 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2013
AOR Received.
24-05-2013
Med's Request
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Passport Req..
24-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-04-2014
LANDED..........
01-03-2015
1. As mentioned, I am on H1B. I want to travel to Vancouver and apply for the PR card. I do want to return back to US as soon as possible after the landing. Would that create an issue? - Make sure when you land you give an address and tell them that you are going to stay there, dont quote that as a temporary address. This delays your PR card, you will have to file after you enter Canada.

2. Besides applying for SIN, what other formalities would be recommended to complete once I land in Canada? - A Bank account would be helpful and try opening the tax related accounts like RESP and Child credit if applicable.

3. On the PR my preferred destination was Ontario but I would be landing in Vancouver, would that be an issue? - No

4. I am not going to have tons of goods to follow as my family is still in the US. Would that create an issue? - No, but if you are planning to move your goods later, then do declare them now. there is a form for that

5. When you cross the border if you have all your funds in the US bank account - do I still need to declare those funds to the customs? - Dont remember, not necessary.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
2. Besides applying for SIN, what other formalities would be recommended to complete once I land in Canada? - A Bank account would be helpful and try opening the tax related accounts like RESP and Child credit if applicable.

4. I am not going to have tons of goods to follow as my family is still in the US. Would that create an issue? - No, but if you are planning to move your goods later, then do declare them now. there is a form for that

5. When you cross the border if you have all your funds in the US bank account - do I still need to declare those funds to the customs? - Dont remember, not necessary.
2. If you intend to return back to US asap, then you don't need to apply for SIN now. Bank Account can also be opened once you move permanently. Applying for child credit while not staying in Canada would be a fraud. There is no point opening RESP account now as you can't deposit money in RESP account this year.

4. No need to finish custom formalities during soft landing. Get GTA/GTF stamped when you move permanently. This way if you decide to buy new items between soft landing and permanent landing, you can bring those items duty free.

5. NO.