+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

ARookie

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020

gtcan19

Sep 11, 2020
I guess those of us from pre March with expired copr will just have to keep waiting. It’s almost like the people who have expired copr from before March are nonexistent.
As of today, any foreign national who holds a valid Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) is able to travel to Canada. If your COPR is about to expire, or has expired, we will soon have instructions on our website about how to get reissued documents.

That`s the IRCC twitter update. Hopefully they will soon update instruction for all the expired COPR.

CA98712

Dec 9, 2017
Singapore
Category........
PNP
It seems that the official announcement has dropped the requirement to "settle permanently in Canada“ but would allow someone to just finish the immigration process. Am I reading what you are reading?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2021/06/individuals-approved-for-permanent-residence-may-travel-to-canada-as-of-june-21.html?fbclid=IwAR0J-afmFpJJmUf6YWWgeQSY7S_K67lWzqn_t2Px_enVi7KoFJ2A-FVQg-A
No
as per website
  • be coming to Canada to settle permanently (you cannot come to Canada and leave to go live in another country, even if it’s temporary)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved

$R27

Star Member
Nov 2, 2020
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi Visa Office
App. Filed.......
11 October 2019
Congrats for the COPR.
Which country are you from?
Wow. Congratulations...so quick processing. Here I am waiting since 0ctober 2019... Your country of residence ?

Aliasoufan

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
I guess those of us from pre March with expired copr will just have to keep waiting. It’s almost like the people who have expired copr from before March are nonexistent.
I am a pre march with expired copr but they sent me and AL in may 2021 confirming the extension and validity of new copr until jan 2022 and that i must travel by july 19 2021.

Will i be allowed to enter canada with that AL? even if no new visa is stamped on my passport?

@legalfalcon also please advise if you know of my case.

Thank you

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
I am a pre march with expired copr but they sent me and AL in may 2021 confirming the extension and validity of new copr until jan 2022 and that i must travel by july 19 2021.

Will i be allowed to enter canada with that AL? even if no new visa is stamped on my passport?

@legalfalcon also please advise if you know of my case.

Thank you
If your visa is expired, you will have to check with the airlines you wish to travel and make sure that you can board the plane. If you can, then with the AL, you can surely travel. However, make sure you get these confirmations before you plan on your travel.

Aliasoufan

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
If your visa is expired, you will have to check with the airlines you wish to travel and make sure that you can board the plane. If you can, then with the AL, you can surely travel. However, make sure you get these confirmations before you plan on your travel.
Visa on passport in expired but quote from AL letter says:

'As your CoPR and PR visa expired on 2020/12/04, we have extended their
validity until 2022/01/27.'

I will try and get a confirmation from the airlines but they really have not been helpful!

Thank you

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
You mean May 2021, the dates seem to be a bit off?
The error was due to the fact I don't remember the dates but I go by days and while checking the Calendar I overlooked and skipped a week. So the right date was 16th & 17th June respectively.

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
I remember your case and I remember telling you to use your old PCC......but you continued stressing so I backed off. This is simply a case of not overthinking things and making up one's mind.

I stopped asking certain questions on this forum a while back because people tend to over think things thus stressing me out. The rule is simple for me, go on IRCC website and go by what I see.

A while back I posted my COPR and mentioned it had an annotation that it replaces my old COPR issued pre March and I could travel anytime. At some point, I had to tell someone not to stress over my case because they argued that my COPR does not explicitly say I could travel. The rule is clear and simple on IRCC website...pre march are exempt from travel...don't complicate things

For my first COPR, I used a PCC from 2008 from a country I hadn't lived in after I left and it was accepted.

All the best
Hi @Welluf2019

I agree with you. You did point in the right direction, but there were different opinions from few members which was a concern on top of that my consultant was also pushing me. But I was able to gain confidence when there was a citation of the IRCC webpage by @BillyWescott. Nevertheless, it should be helpful for members who would have similar situations in the future.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Visa on passport in expired but quote from AL letter says:

'As your CoPR and PR visa expired on 2020/12/04, we have extended their
validity until 2022/01/27.'

I will try and get a confirmation from the airlines but they really have not been helpful!

Thank you
To allow you to board the flight is the decision of the airlines. When flight manifest is generated, it is sent to CBSA. Usually at this time the airlines can enquire about the status of documents of a passenger with CBSA.

Unless the airlines has done it, they will not let you board. So plan in advance.

Had you had a valid visa, the things would have been much easier.