+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

kdr91

Star Member
May 7, 2019
Just Now I logged into my profile and saw the message which many of us are getting about choosing from the two options.

Based on this it seems option 1 will give you a new COPR with validity till end of your Medicals/re-medicals. and You can travel within that validity. Am I correct in interpreting it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RESPONSE REQUIRED WITHIN 10 DAYS : Reissuance of immigration documents

Pratyush Raj,
This refers to previous correspondence regarding your application for permanent residence (PR) and
your expired confirmation of PR document (CoPR) and PR visa.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions:

Travel restrictions, COVID-19 testing requirements, and quarantine requirements are currently in
effect to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Canada.

You can find more information on current travel restrictions on our website at:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-
covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

Re-Issuance of Permanent Resident Visa:

You previously informed us that you were still interested in travelling to Canada for non-
discretionary reasons (i.e. to live and settle permanently in Canada).

As your original CoPR was issued on or before March 18, 2020, it appears that you currently qualify
for an exemption from the travel restrictions, based on the information you have provided and the
current rules in place.

We have also reviewed your situation and confirmed that it appears you (and your family members, if
applicable) have done (a) new medical examination(s) since your original CoPR(s) expired. The new
expiry date of your medical(s) is: 2022/03/07

(If there is more than one date of expiry for you/any family members, the earliest date is provided
above.)

Documentation to Facilitate Travel to Canada:
Please select one of the following two options:

Option 1: Confirm that you plan to travel to Canada before the validity date above. If you choose
this option, you will be sent a request to submit your passport (which must be valid until at least
the date above) to IRCC for physical reissuance of your CoPR (and your PR visa, if you are a
citizen of a visa required country). Your CoPR will be annotated to indicate that it is a
replacement for a document issued on or before March 18, 2020. If you select this option, you must
use your re-issued CoPR and PR visa before the validity date printed on the new documents expires.
If you do not use them before they expire, you will need to submit a new application if you want to
immigrate to Canada in the future.

Option 2: Do another medical examination. If you select this option, you will be sent a request to
do new medicals (at your own expense) within NINETY (90) calendar days. Your new medicals will be
valid for 12 months from the date of your new examination.
When we receive your updated medical results, we will assess whether any other information needs to
be updated to re-issue your CoPR(s). If you (and your dependants, if applicable) continue to meet
all statutory requirements, we will send you a request to submit your passport(s) for physical
reissuance of your documents, which you will need to use before they expire.

Action required:

If you still intend to come to Canada to become a permanent resident, your action is required now.

You must contact us via the IRCC Webform (https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-
renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx) within ten (10) calendar days to tell us which option you
choose.

In your response, you must also inform us if any of the following applies:
• Your family composition has changed (e.g. birth, marriage, divorce, death)
• Any material facts relevant to your application have changed for you and/or any of
your accompanying or non-accompanying family members since the issuance of your original CoPR (e.g.
marital status, new criminal charges or convictions, change in country of residence, change in
custody arrangements for minor children, change in available settlement funds, etc.)
• You (or any of your family members, if applicable) have obtained a new passport since
the issuance of your original immigrant visa (if yes, attach a scanned copy of the biodata page)
• You (or any of the family members on your application) are already physically in
Canada.

If none of the above applies, you can write: “There have been no changes to any material facts
relating to my application.”

If you do not respond, your application will be permanently closed and you will need to reapply
(and meet any statutory requirements in place at that time) if you want to immigrate to Canada in
the future.

Note: As travel restrictions and guidance can change quickly, it is your responsibility to verify
at the time of your actual travel that you continue to meet any requirements and/or exemptions.

If your plans change and you decide you do not want to live and settle (i.e. establish actual
residence) in Canada when you plan to travel, you will no longer meet the exemption from the
current travel restrictions, and you will not be able to travel to Canada (even if you have a valid
visa) until/unless the travel restrictions change.
Sincerely,
LC
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
your name is there buddy

Reactions: WantToImmigrate

Jass88

Oct 3, 2019
We travelled together. I called IRCC and they said its only airlines that may ask a bit too much before boarding and ideally immigration should stay smooth as this is an edge case missed out in temporary covid laws. Since immediate family can travel next day then why not together. At immigration the officer did asked if i have Authorization email for all 3 and i replied they are my immediate family members so they dont require it... And She acknowledged it and thats it. All went smooth. Hardly took 10mins to do landing formalities.
Congrats you and your family did landing.
Was the copr of you family members expired or was it still valid ??

Ten10

Mar 16, 2021
We travelled together. I called IRCC and they said its only airlines that may ask a bit too much before boarding and ideally immigration should stay smooth as this is an edge case missed out in temporary covid laws. Since immediate family can travel next day then why not together. At immigration the officer did asked if i have Authorization email for all 3 and i replied they are my immediate family members so they dont require it... And She acknowledged it and thats it. All went smooth. Hardly took 10mins to do landing formalities.
Oh wow. Congratulations. May I ask what airline you travelled with?

Last edited:

Lachelle

Sep 25, 2017
Category........
PNP
Nomination.....
April 2019
AOR Received.
09-05-2019
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
February 17,2020
VISA ISSUED...
February 27,2020
Hi all,
Need an urgent help. I am an expired Copr holder. We got our remedial request and completed the medical test on March 13th.
My query is that, my daughter's passport is expiring on April 25th 2021 ie next month. In case we get our AL by the coming weeks,will we be able to travel to Canada, or will they stop us at immigration as my daughter's passport is expiring? Does a passport need few months of validity?
Please give your suggestions
While waiting renew her passport now, i believe passport should be valid for 6 months. Since its a minor you should be prioritized for renewal

Lachelle

Sep 25, 2017
Category........
PNP
Nomination.....
April 2019
AOR Received.
09-05-2019
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
February 17,2020
VISA ISSUED...
February 27,2020
Hi all,
Need an urgent help. I am an expired Copr holder. We got our remedial request and completed the medical test on March 13th.
My query is that, my daughter's passport is expiring on April 25th 2021 ie next month. In case we get our AL by the coming weeks,will we be able to travel to Canada, or will they stop us at immigration as my daughter's passport is expiring? Does a passport need few months of validity?
Please give your suggestions
Nowadays, not everyone receives AL, some were asked to send their passport and issue a new visa. They cannot issue her a visa beyond the validity of her passport and canada is requiring at least 6mos validity of passport

pavie24

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
Hello i got an email yetserday from IRCC- DO ypu stIll want to travel with following action needed

I hope they send the medical requests soon, they also mentioned not to do upfront medicals as it can cause delays and iunnecessary additional actions
Action needed:

Once we have sent you the forms, you will have 30 days to do your medical, advise us by email that it has been done, and provide any requested documents. Please note that the results of your new medical examination will be valid for 12 months.

Important: Do not do an up-front medical examination. Completing a new medical examination before IRCC asks you to will delay processing, and may lead to you spending more money to do a new one later on.

Your Application:

If you confirm that you are still interested in immigrating to Canada and that you would like your application to be re-assessed, IRCC will do the following on a one-time exceptional basis:

• Reopen your application and review it to determine whether any additional or updated documents are needed to confirm that you (and your family members, if applicable) still meet the statutory requirements for (a) permanent resident visa(s).
  • Send you new medical forms and instructions, and also a request letter if we require more information or updated documents (e.g. valid passport, updated police certificate(s), updated screening forms).
  • Review your application to confirm whether you still meet the requirements for a PR visa.
  • If you still meet the requirements: re-issue your PR visa(s), which you will need to use before the new expiry date.
If you request that we reopen and re-assess your application IRCC must determine whether you continue to meet the requirements to be issued a Permanent Resident Visa. If you, or your family member(s) do not now meet those requirements (e.g. you are now inadmissible to Canada), your application could be refused.

If you wish to immigrate to Canada in the future, but have not replied to this message, you will need to re-apply for permanent residence, pay the required fees, and meet any requirements in effect at the time of your new application.

If you choose not to have your file re-assessed at this time, and instead you let this permanent residence application remain closed, this decision will not have a negative impact on a new application which you may make in the future.

Sincerely,

Template for you to use when responding to IRCC
To: IRCC.IN-RROC-CORR-RI.IRCC@cic.gc.ca

I am confirming that I (and my family members, if applicable) remain interested in immigrating to Canada, and that I (we) would like our application to be reopened and reassessed.

I also confirm that I (we) will redo my (our) immigration medical examination (IMEs), provide any updated information needed to re-assess my (our) application, and intend to travel to Canada within the validity period of any new confirmation of permanent resident (CoPR) document(s) issued.

Please find my answers below:

Information about my application
  • Primary applicant family name(s):
    (Your answer here)
  • Primary applicant given name(s):
    (Your answer here)
  • Application number:
  • Class of application:
  • Primary applicant citizenship:
    (Your answer here)
  • Current country of residence:
    (Your answer here)
  • Date your CoPR/PR visa expired:
    (Your answer here)
  • Full names of family members (including your spouse and dependent children) who are planning to travel to Canada with you, as well as the full names of any non-accompanying dependants:
    (Your answer here)
Please also include any other updated information about your or your family’s situation which could affect your application – for example, information about any new passport that has been issued to you, new dependants, any changes to family configuration due to marriage, divorce, birth, etc., as well as any information that could impact your admissibility to Canada such as new criminal charges or convictions.
Hey I also got the same email on Monday. Have you responded to them? Did you get an acknowledgement on your reply?

Ann Mendez

Star Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nowadays, not everyone receives AL, some were asked to send their passport and issue a new visa. They cannot issue her a visa beyond the validity of her passport and canada is requiring at least 6mos validity of passport
Thank you so much for your reply. I will apply for a new passport right away.

nathan2020EE

Star Member
Sep 21, 2020
Email from IRCC

Dear client,

Thank you for your interest in coming to Canada as an Economic Class permanent resident. We are looking forward to having you here, but you will have to wait a little longer.

At this time, to protect Canadians from COVID-19, travel restrictions are in place for individuals travelling to Canada. Even people with a confirmation of permanent residence (CoPR) and a permanent resident visa (PRV) counterfoil (if applicable), CANNOT TRAVEL TO CANADA at this time to become permanent residents unless they are exempt from the travel restrictions.
Do not worry if your documents are near expiry. We will contact you with further instructions if your documents expire before the travel restrictions are lifted. We will then work with you at that time to re-issue or extend the validity of your documents when it is safer to travel.
Travel Restrictions Compliance and Enforcement
We want you to eventually come to Canada safely and legally. Please note if you don’t follow the instructions provided to and try to travel to Canada right now, you could face a signficant ticket or fine. Entering Canada is an offence under the Quarantine Act. For more information see Consequences for failure to comply with the Emergency order.

Please learn about how COVID-19 is affecting immigration servicesand how it affects travel, quarantine and borders for the latest information on travel restrictions before making any travel plans and again before departing for Canada to avoid being denied boarding or entry in Canada.

Reuniting with family
We understand that you may have family in Canada and are looking forward to seeing them. If you are trying to reunite with family in Canada, you likely meet an exemption under the travel restrictions. If so, please consult Foreign nationals reuniting with family regularly to find out if you can travel to Canada.

Keep us informed if your situation has changed
Please let us know if your situation changes in any of the following ways:

• Marriage or common-law union, divorce, annulment, legal separation
  • Death of the sponsor, the principal applicant or any accompanying family member
  • Birth or adoption of a child, including grandchildren born to dependent children
  • You, the principal applicant, or any of your family members have been charged or convicted of a criminal offence
Do not attempt to travel to Canada if your situation has changed. Your documents will need to be updated and re-issued.
We are sorry to keep you waiting and thank you for your patience,

Sincerely,

Reactions: BillyWescott

jatinder161088

Star Member
May 30, 2018
Hi Experts,

I got an email from IRCC today:

Dear client,

Thank you for your interest in coming to Canada as an Economic Class permanent resident. We are looking forward to having you here, but you will have to wait a little longer.

At this time, to protect Canadians from COVID-19, travel restrictions are in place for individuals travelling to Canada. Even people with a confirmation of permanent residence (CoPR) and a permanent resident visa (PRV) counterfoil (if applicable), CANNOT TRAVEL TO CANADA at this time to become permanent residents unless they are exempt from the travel restrictions.
Do not worry if your documents are near expiry. We will contact you with further instructions if your documents expire before the travel restrictions are lifted. We will then work with you at that time to re-issue or extend the validity of your documents when it is safer to travel.
I am yet to travel to Canada to validate my COPR (Issue date 24th Dec 2020) and PR Visa counterfoil is valid till 31st May 21. I have my flight booked for 14th May 21.
When I checked IRCC website, I found some conflicting information regarding my entry to Canada.

So, please clarify if I am actually restricted to enter in Canada or can there be any exemption?
If I am not allowed, is there any chance that these restrictions can lift off before my visa expiry (31st May 21)?

I will be in a very bad situation, as I have resigned from my current organization and my last working day is 15th April 2021.
so I have a very confusing situation in front of me:
1-Either I should take the resign back, but what if restrictions get lifted before my visa expiry/travel date?
2-Relieve from my company and wait for IRCC next email regarding COPR extension? How early from expiration does IRCC inform us about the extension of COPR?

Thank you in advance

keisersausey

Jul 14, 2020
Hi Experts,

I got an email from IRCC today:

Dear client,

I am yet to travel to Canada to validate my COPR (Issue date 24th Dec 2020) and PR Visa counterfoil is valid till 31st May 21. I have my flight booked for 14th May 21.
When I checked IRCC website, I found some conflicting information regarding my entry to Canada.

So, please clarify if I am actually restricted to enter in Canada or can there be any exemption?
If I am not allowed, is there any chance that these restrictions can lift off before my visa expiry (31st May 21)?

I will be in a very bad situation, as I have resigned from my current organization and my last working day is 15th April 2021.
so I have a very confusing situation in front of me:
1-Either I should take the resign back, but what if restrictions get lifted before my visa expiry/travel date?
2-Relieve from my company and wait for IRCC next email regarding COPR extension? How early from expiration does IRCC inform us about the extension of COPR?

Thank you in advance
I received the same email too. I sent a webform a few days ago to ask if I could get an exemption from travel as my current visa in Australia is about to expire, and was wondering if that was the (generic) answer, or just a coincidence: @nathan2020EE and @jatinder161088 did you guys sent a webform too to get that email ?

Wotsit

Dec 14, 2019
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-02-2020
Nomination.....
29-01-2020
AOR Received.
13-02-2020
Med's Done....
17-03-2020
Passport Req..
15-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
01-12-2021
LANDED..........
03-12-2021
I received the same email too. I sent a webform a few days ago to ask if I could get an exemption from travel as my current visa in Australia is about to expire, and was wondering if that was the (generic) answer, or just a coincidence: @nathan2020EE and @jatinder161088 did you guys sent a webform too to get that email ?
Many Post March 18 COPR received the same email today. It appears to be a mass message.
You will probably still receive an answer to your webform.