+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Ruchitak

Dec 25, 2018
For those didn't reply to 7 point email, or replied 'not ready to travel', here is my update:

I replied to the 7 point email as 'Not ready' in January and just received a reply. I have been given 2 options:
- travel in April, and they will provide the AL. If I select this option and fail to travel by the provided date, I will need to submit a new application I want to settle in Canada later.
- or, re-do medical. They will review and re-issue a COPR.

I chose to re-do my medical exam, given I just accepted a job, and it won't be long before I can get my vaccine done in the UK. So it makes sense for me to wait a little longer. I really appreciated the options I have been given and how considerate they are with the situation.

I had an update on my account on Friday last week, with my status changed to in process. Then this Monday I received the email. It looks like they are really speeding up. I know a lot of you are frustrated and wanting to move asap, I hope you get what you want from Canadian government soon.
so this second option where you choose to re-do medicals and a new CoPR will be issued. What does this mean?
When will this new CoPr be issued?
How long will this be valid?
Will an AL also be needed to travel?

lalloum

Oct 24, 2019
Hello all,

My case is I'm approved pre-March 18th 2020. COPR expired September 2020. I had raised webform to notify that I can't travel before COPR expiry in June 2020. Are some people in the same boat?

I haven't received any communications from IRCC. Reading through the group, it seems like a lot of people are receiving information on how to proceed after their COPR has expired.

Any suggestions on what I should do to get that email -- given that IRCC has said not to raise any webforms?

My intention would be to get a new medical done and get a new COPR with a new expiry -- which should give me time to get things in order.

Any suggestions?

K&K

Star Member
Jan 30, 2021
Hello all,

My case is I'm approved pre-March 18th 2020. COPR expired September 2020. I had raised webform to notify that I can't travel before COPR expiry in June 2020. Are some people in the same boat?

I haven't received any communications from IRCC. Reading through the group, it seems like a lot of people are receiving information on how to proceed after their COPR has expired.

Any suggestions on what I should do to get that email -- given that IRCC has said not to raise any webforms?

My intention would be to get a new medical done and get a new COPR with a new expiry -- which should give me time to get things in order.

Any suggestions?
Same here.
I got a new medical done (upfront i.e without intimation from IRCC).

RS2020

Dec 30, 2019
Hi All,

been a silent observer and thought i'd share my experience. It can be quite overwhelming reading the forum discussions where some people have had progress and others have heard nothing with their application, receiving a AL etc and where your application is amongst all this and you start to worry.

• Initially COPR was approved pre march 18th 2020, in Jan 2020 and was due to expire in May.
  • We were due to go in April 2020 for a soft landing but flights were cancelled by airline.
  • Raised web form advised IRCC, who advised to update when ready to travel.
  • May 2020 arrived, COPR expired as had my passport which I proceeded to renew.
  • Renewed passport completed webform and advised IRCC ready to travel for summertime end of july.
  • Received a request for arrival plan towards the end of july, which cancelled out leaving in summer due to notice required to leave work for my spouse, so we submitted the arrival plan to state we were due to arrive in december after xmas.
  • From July to December we raised webforms asking for updates on AL and heard nothing.
  • During this time my role was made redundant and i hadn't worked from April through to November when i secured a new job. And we decided to just enjoy xmas and chase up IRCC in the new year.
  • In December i then secured another new job to start in Jan 21.
  • In the first week of Jan 21 having started new role, we received the AL out of the blue stating our COPR and Medicals had been extended till end of March.
  • The AL referenced my expired passport, despite having advised them of my new passport so unsure if this was valid.
  • Logged a web form regarding the above and no response.
  • Reached out to IRCC on twitter who provided a email to contact regarding AL. They then updated my AL stating both passports which was a relief.
  • Then received webform response stating they can see issue resolved.
  • Booked flights for the end of feb.
  • Spent three hours getting through to book mandatory hotel which cost $1100 for two people.
  • Checked in at airport in Heathrow no issue check in desk cross checked with Canada immigration team and approved to proceed ( currently standard process)
  • Literally before stepping onto the flight we were flagged by canada immigration called the airline for extra checks to take place before we are approved to board. This was despite having the AL which no one seemed concerned about. Agent was asking where our counterfoils were amongst verifying other documents (UK passports are not issued with one, but they were not aware)
  • It was the most anxious time waiting for the agent on the phone to conduct their checks and call back to confirm or deny us boarding, we were the last ones left to board and the flight was held until the agent called back.
  • Agent finally called back and approved us, we landed in Toronto, no one really questioned about arrival plan, just where we were looking to stay
  • The immigration officer on landing took our docs told us to go sit-down for 10 mins called us back and we heard the famous words 'congrats you're now permanent residents of Canada.
  • declared goods to bring now and later and received a document to provide when we ship these over.
  • Conducted a covid test at airport
  • Shuttle took us to mandatory hotel, where we checked in with no issues.
  • Hotel allowed us to roam the lobby when not busy and get fresh air, food was also decent. The process was not a daunting one at all.
  • We received our results within 24 hours and checked out the next day, did not receive a refund but happy to leave
  • Booked Uber to airbnb
  • taken 10 day test where they come and collect the package from you and now awaiting results so we can finally go for a walk.

This may be a bit of a long winded post for some, but i hope it shows the highs and lows of the whole process, its a crazy time, we almost gave up on the whole thing.

Just have hope and belief and don't stop till someone actually says no you can't come. You will probably get your authorisation letter when you least expect it, we decided to continue as normal as we can and whatever happens, happens and we got our letter in the end.

The only people who can actually address if your documents are right or not and next steps are those at IRCC, seeking validation for what you need to do on here will only add to worries, if all you are waiting for is a response from them. The response will come in the end and you won't be penalised as IRCC have stated if impacted by covid. Wish you all well.

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
I'm talking about the email you referred to as the "now or back to square one" email in your previous post. I haven't received it myself but I'm trying to figure out the implications of this email being their new approach to handling expired COPRs. You seemed to say that from the email their new approach is it's either move to Canada now, or do the whole Express Entry process again. But that's not how I read it.
Hi,

I believe you may have confused me with someone else. I never commented like this on any post.

mk11s

Star Member
Mar 28, 2018
Hi All,

been a silent observer and thought i'd share my experience. It can be quite overwhelming reading the forum discussions where some people have had progress and others have heard nothing with their application, receiving a AL etc and where your application is amongst all this and you start to worry.

• Initially COPR was approved pre march 18th 2020, in Jan 2020 and was due to expire in May.
  • We were due to go in April 2020 for a soft landing but flights were cancelled by airline.
  • Renewed passport completed webform and advised IRCC ready to travel for summertime end of july.
  • Received a request for arrival plan towards the end of july, which cancelled out leaving in summer due to notice required to leave work for my spouse, so we submitted the arrival plan to state we were due to arrive in december after xmas.
  • From July to December we raised webforms asking for updates on AL and heard nothing.
  • During this time my role was made redundant and i hadn't worked from April through to November when i secured a new job. And we decided to just enjoy xmas and chase up IRCC in the new year.
  • In the first week of Jan 21 having started new role, we received the AL out of the blue stating our COPR and Medicals had been extended till end of March.
  • The AL referenced my expired passport, despite having advised them of my new passport so unsure if this was valid.
  • Reached out to IRCC on twitter who provided a email to contact regarding AL. They then updated my AL stating both passports which was a relief.
  • Spent three hours getting through to book mandatory hotel which cost $1100 for two people.
  • Checked in at airport in Heathrow no issue check in desk cross checked with Canada immigration team and approved to proceed ( currently standard process)
  • Literally before stepping onto the flight we were flagged by canada immigration called the airline for extra checks to take place before we are approved to board. This was despite having the AL which no one seemed concerned about. Agent was asking where our counterfoils were amongst verifying other documents (UK passports are not issued with one, but they were not aware)
  • It was the most anxious time waiting for the agent on the phone to conduct their checks and call back to confirm or deny us boarding, we were the last ones left to board and the flight was held until the agent called back.
  • Agent finally called back and approved us, we landed in Toronto, no one really questioned about arrival plan, just where we were looking to stay
  • The immigration officer on landing took our docs told us to go sit-down for 10 mins called us back and we heard the famous words 'congrats you're now permanent residents of Canada.
  • declared goods to bring now and later and received a document to provide when we ship these over.
  • Hotel allowed us to roam the lobby when not busy and get fresh air, food was also decent. The process was not a daunting one at all.
  • We received our results within 24 hours and checked out the next day, did not receive a refund but happy to leave
  • Booked Uber to airbnb
  • taken 10 day test where they come and collect the package from you and now awaiting results so we can finally go for a walk.

This may be a bit of a long winded post for some, but i hope it shows the highs and lows of the whole process, its a crazy time, we almost gave up on the whole thing.

Just have hope and belief and don't stop till someone actually says no you can't come. You will probably get your authorisation letter when you least expect it, we decided to continue as normal as we can and whatever happens, happens and we got our letter in the end.

The only people who can actually address if your documents are right or not and next steps are those at IRCC, seeking validation for what you need to do on here will only add to worries, if all you are waiting for is a response from them. The response will come in the end and you won't be penalised as IRCC have stated if impacted by covid. Wish you all well.
Congratulations for sharing your whole experience.Which hotel did you choose for GAA Quarantine ?
Also $1100 were excluding tax or it included the government tax.

Sam Sh

Star Member
Apr 30, 2019
Category........
FSW
Landed! finally!
Things were smooth.
Officers very friendly and professional. My rating for this part: 5/5
2 gates - easy and direct questions : COPR, proof of fund, ArriveCan, Hotel.... All, friendly and helpful.
Covid test nurses were nice and kind too,
Hotels however are terrible. I had booked a room but still waited for around 2-3hours- I give it 1/5
flight was tough though. Crowed, poor service - All due to Covid 19- I give it 3/5

Reactions: gtcan19

Sam Sh

Star Member
Apr 30, 2019
Category........
FSW
Officer took my COPR (the one with a photo)
Gave back the other copy (the one without a photo)
---
Nobody asked about my address, how are they're going to sent my PR ?

sumitkamboj88

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
I am inland applicant was stuck in India because of Covid. I was issued AL and COPR and PR visa in the system still denied boarding by CBSA official. I never have stamped PR visa on my passport not even expired as I was inland applicant and never been asked to get it stamped on passport. This is really a miscommunication between CBSA and IRCC. After receiving AL I confirmed with IRCC again over email that I don't have PR visa on passport. They confirmed that I can travel with AL, COPR and PR visa has been authorized in the system and CBSA official has been notified that I will be entering Canada at port of entry. This is pathetic, I am gonna lose my 3 day hotel booking amount as it was non-refundable. :(:mad:

Duffa

Star Member
Jul 28, 2018
Hi All,

• Booked Uber to airbnb

Please what's the email?

Ozed15

Mar 4, 2021
Please I need your advice. I am a bit worried about transit visa requirements for my trip. I am still expecting my AL, however I only have 2 weeks before the travel deadline I was given by the IRCC, and I am afraid I might not be able to get transit visas in such a short time especially since available flights continue to change. Does anyone know a good resource where I can easily check transit destinations that do not require transit visas. I am from Nigeria, but currently residing in Japan. So my trip to Canada will be from Japan.