+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

guocamole

Mar 30, 2020
Hi there

Could you please elaborate on the first option? Do they mean you will have to restart your application from scratch? If you could quote their exact words it would be helpful.

In my case I didnt reply to the 7 pt email but still ended up receiving the AL. The AL clearly mentions that if I'm unable to travel before AL expiry date then I will undergo COPR and PRV re-issuance process again.
Hi, sure. Below is the exact quote:

Option 1: Confirm that you plan to travel to Canada before the validity date above. You will be sent a request to submit your passport to IRCC for physical reissuance of your CoPR (and your PR visa, if you are a citizen of a visa required country). Your CoPR will be annotated to indicate that it is a replacement for a document issued on or before March 18, 2020. If you select this option, you must use your re-issued CoPR and PR visa before the validity date printed on the new documents expires. If you do not use them before they expire, you will need to submit a new application if you want to immigrate to Canada in the future.

Option 2: Do a new medical examination. If you select this option, you will be sent a request to do new medicals (at your own expense) within NINETY (90) days. Your new medicals will be valid for 12 months from the date of your examination. When we receive your updated medical results, we will assess whether any other information needs to be updated to re-issue your CoPR(s). If you (and your dependants, if applicable) continue to meet all statutory requirements, we will send you a request to submit your passport(s) for physical reissuance of your documents, which you will need to use before they expire.

Action required:

If you still intend to come to Canada to become a permanent resident, your action is required now

You must reply to this message within ten (10) calendar days to tell us which option you choose.

If you do not respond, your application will be permanently closed and you will need to reapply (and meet any statutory requirements in place at that time) if you want to immigrate to Canada in the future.

It's not clear what the new application means, I think it means to start from scratch. In your case because you didn't ask for AL, they give you the option to undergo re-insurance process if you are not willing to travel. Whereas if I am offered AL it's because I am willing to, so it makes sense that I will not be given another chance if I don't use it. That's my understanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: consbear

amrahsidana

Mar 14, 2020
Hi, sure. Below is the exact quote:

Option 1: Confirm that you plan to travel to Canada before the validity date above. You will be sent a request to submit your passport to IRCC for physical reissuance of your CoPR (and your PR visa, if you are a citizen of a visa required country). Your CoPR will be annotated to indicate that it is a replacement for a document issued on or before March 18, 2020. If you select this option, you must use your re-issued CoPR and PR visa before the validity date printed on the new documents expires. If you do not use them before they expire, you will need to submit a new application if you want to immigrate to Canada in the future.

Option 2: Do a new medical examination. If you select this option, you will be sent a request to do new medicals (at your own expense) within NINETY (90) days. Your new medicals will be valid for 12 months from the date of your examination. When we receive your updated medical results, we will assess whether any other information needs to be updated to re-issue your CoPR(s). If you (and your dependants, if applicable) continue to meet all statutory requirements, we will send you a request to submit your passport(s) for physical reissuance of your documents, which you will need to use before they expire.

Action required:

If you still intend to come to Canada to become a permanent resident, your action is required now

You must reply to this message within ten (10) calendar days to tell us which option you choose.

If you do not respond, your application will be permanently closed and you will need to reapply (and meet any statutory requirements in place at that time) if you want to immigrate to Canada in the future.

It's not clear what the new application means, I think it means to start from scratch. In your case because you didn't ask for AL, they give you the option to undergo re-insurance process if you are not willing to travel. Whereas if I am offered AL it's because I am willing to, so it makes sense that I will not be given another chance if I don't use it. That's my understanding.

I also received the same email today. Interestingly it also states towards the end:
"If you do not respond, your application will be permanently closed and you will need to reapply (and meet any statutory requirements in place at that time) if you want to immigrate to Canada in the future."
In that light it appears that "new application" might mean restarting process from beginning.

Also, for members of this group who have consultant emails registered with IRCC, it is a good idea to keep checking with your consultant on a weekly basis.

Reactions: BillyWescott

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
I also received the same email today. Interestingly it also states towards the end:

In that light it appears that "new application" might mean restarting process from beginning.

Also, for members of this group who have consultant emails registered with IRCC, it is a good idea to keep checking with your consultant on a weekly basis.
Seems like IRCC is going for final resolution for the expired CoPR holders approved before 18th March 2020 and are giving them options to travel either in short time without remeds or within one year after doing the remeds.

Reactions: BillyWescott

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
People travelling soon to Canada from India with DL extract for applying Canadian DL should make sure that the DL extract should be in letterhead without any spelling mistakes (signed and stamped by RTO) along with original DL. DL extract should not be generated online and stamped by the RTO. Chances are high that online generated one might get rejected even if it is stamped by RTO.

Reactions: amrahsidana

TripleE01

May 24, 2019

Hi, did your COPR expire before you get this email? My COPR expires in May and I am hoping I will be asked if I am ready to travel before it expires...

andrew325

Jan 15, 2018
Hi there,

Sorry this doesnt address your query, but could you please let us know how long it took to receive your pr card starting from the day of landing?
Depends where you land. In Vancouver it took about a month. But I know all the prairie provinces (Alberta, Sask, Manitoba) are very long with this - about 6 months.

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
How do you contact the VO office? Where do we find their email address?? Does it help contacting them to check the status of any request??

@whyCorona @crackMBA your valuable would be much appreciated.
I only contacted Delhi office by searching the address online.
I got reply back from Vancouver and Winnipeg office at the time of my application processing. So I just sent mail on those ids but nothing worked out for me,

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
So happy to hear that your wife has reached Canada.I was so busy in initial settlement..cudnt catch up for so many days.By now she must have completed quarantine.Was she asked for new photos at airport..I was not asked..officer tooky pics from old copr only.Now one week ago I got mail from Nova scotia sydney demading photos saying that old ones don't meet the requirement.I have sent latest ones thru courier.I hope they accept this time.
Yes she is done with quarantine. I was also very when her quarantine got over in completing initial things. Just got free yesterday. She offered new pics and officer accepted it. I did not receive any request for new pics. I hope to receive PR card in another 2 weeks.

MatSys

Nov 13, 2020
I just replied today. I expect they will send me a medical request (within 90 days according to the email, but certainly hope it's going to be quicker than that) and I will need to re-do it. My COPR expired in May 2020 though, so I am not sure if you can reference this. I will update once I have any progress anyway.
When did you receive the CoPR?

Sam Sh

Star Member
Apr 30, 2019
Category........
FSW
Just landed in Canada few hours back.
Primary things focussed are arriveCan, covid reports. No ask of AL during boarding. (Post 18 march copr with valid PRV and with extended family AL)
AL was asked for during Landing immigration. Verbal ask about supporting funds.
Covid report checked again.
Then stamped for landing on CoPRs. Address for PR card asked for and finally a warm 'Welcome to Canada' greeting.
Total landing process took 10-15mins max.

Currently quarantining in hotel for 3 days.
I'm gonna land this week!
---
I've booked a hotel room. Should we pay for the Covid test at the airport?

Hand

Star Member
Jan 15, 2021
I only contacted Delhi office by searching the address online.
I got reply back from Vancouver and Winnipeg office at the time of my application processing. So I just sent mail on those ids but nothing worked out for me,
Pls share email ids

ruka

Apr 7, 2008
Visa Office......
Colombo, Sri Lanka
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10/02/2010 (old)
Doc's Request.
16/04/2010 (old)
AOR Received.
11/08/2010 (old)
File Transfer...
20/04/2010 (old)
Hi Friends,
I too got the profile updated mail on 5th March and the profile got updated as submitted.
But did not receive the two options mail yet. Is there any one who got the profile updated and still didn't get the two options mail.
Or am I the only one.

Thanks

zinia gaba

Nov 21, 2019
Hey guys,

Got an AL today finally!! COPR expired on June 2020, received remedical request on 10th February and the request letter asking for POF and quarantine plan. Uploaded the medical acknowledgment and Quarantine plan on 13th feb. Medical passed on 19th February , received webform acknowledgement on 2nd March, received GU on 5th March and received AL today valid till 9th May 2021.

Once they started the process everything was really fast and smooth! :)