+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

ssi1990

Nov 4, 2020
Hello Guys,
Please I'm in a bit of a quagmire situation here and need your advice.
I just landed Calgary and in Day 5 of my quarantine and plan to hit the ground running as soon as I'm done with quarantine. But I'm trying to apply online for my
i) SIN
ii) Bank account
iii) Phone line.

The issue is to get SIN online, I need proof of address in my name which can be bank statements/letter or utility bill which I have none.

Now the 2nd issue is to open a bank account online i need a valid Canadian ID which I also have none until I get my Pr card which the immigration officer has told me can take up to 2 months to come through the mail.

So does this mean I have to wait for my Pr card before I can start applying for these things??
Hi @Dejavu_44

This might help you. I landed 10 days ago and was able to do the following things

1. I could apply for SIN online as I am already renting an apartment. Your case might be different since you do not have a permanent address. In any case, I would advise that you go to the SIN office and apply in-person after the quarantine once you have a permanent address. Processing time for online SIN applications is 25 days, so applying in-person might help.

2. Bank account - I opened up an RBC account even before entering Canada. Call them up and they'll help you. The account is in-operational at this point, meaning you will not be able to do any transactions. Schedule a virtual appointment with the RBC banker on the day you land. They can verify your identity online and the account will become operational. Provide a temporary address and update later when you rent an apartment.

3. Phone line - I bought a FIDO phone line by calling them at 1-866-315-3436. The agent accepted my passport as the validation document. The sim will ship next day - 2 day delivery. So you'll be fine providing the current address.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Titanium and Ojay1

Dejavu_44

Star Member
Nov 29, 2019
Hi @Dejavu_44

This might help you. I landed 10 days ago and was able to do the following things

1. I could apply for SIN online as I am already renting an apartment. Your case might be different since you do not have a permanent address. In any case, I would advise that you go to the SIN office and apply in-person after the quarantine once you have a permanent address. Processing time for online SIN applications is 25 days, so applying in-person might help.

2. Bank account - I opened up an RBC account even before entering Canada. Call them up and they'll help you. The account is in-operational at this point, meaning you will not be able to do any transactions. Schedule a virtual appointment with the RBC banker on the day you land. They can verify your identity online and the account will become operational. Provide a temporary address and update later when you rent an apartment.

3. Phone line - I bought a FIDO phone line by calling them at 1-866-315-3436. The agent accepted my passport as the validation document. The sim will ship next day - 2 day delivery. So you'll be fine providing the current address.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks
Okay. Tnx for the response. I will walk into the respective offices after my quarantine. Think that will make things a lot more straight forward.

josh_1982

Jan 7, 2019
Anybody knows the current processing times for travel authorization. Unfortunately I have to come back to my country for an urgence in the family and because the fuxxx Montreal office is taking 8 months to process my PR card (we applied in July 2020) I cannot come back to Canada if I leave....

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
Hi All,

Finally after 1000 pages of this forum my wife landed today.
Timelines:

VO: Vancouver
COPR expiry: June 07, 2020
7pt mail: Dec 21, 2020
Replied to 7pt: Dec 27, 2020
AL Received: Jan 15, 2021
Counterfoil updated: Jan 29, 2021
No remed requested.
Flew AC on Feb 11th.

Everything was smooth. No questions asked at all, everyone is aware of AL.
Somehow the immigration officer in Toronto was not able to print her new COPR because of some glitch. She has to wait for almost 2 hrs there. It happened with few other people also.

Now she is in quarantine.
I will be partly active on the forum. Tag me or DM me if I miss your question.
Happy to help other people.:)

Thank you everyone for all the support.

Last edited:

nrthstr1202

Jan 9, 2021
Hi All,

Finally after 1000 pages of this forum my wife landed today.
Timelines:

VO: Vancouver
COPR expiry: June 07, 2020
7pt mail: Dec 21, 2020
Replied to 7pt: Dec 27, 2020
AL Received: Jan 15, 2021
Counterfoil updated: Jan 29, 2021
No remed requested.
Flew AC on Feb 11th.

Everything was smooth. No questions sked at all, everyone is aware of AL.
Somehow the immigration officer in Toronto was not able to print her new COPR because of some glitch. She has to wait for almost 2 hrs there. It happened with few other people also.

Now she is in quarantine.
I will be partly active on the forum. Tag me or DM me if I miss your question.
Happy to help other people.:)

Thank you everyone for all the support.
@crackMBA Really happy for you both!

Is printing the updated CoPR part of the landing formalities for expired CoPR holders? Do I ask for one to be printed or the officers know to print it out for you?

Reactions: Djsingh44

nrthstr1202

Jan 9, 2021
Thank you. As your old COPR is expired. You can not get SIN on old one. Most of the officers are aware of it. If not aware then please request.
This is helpful to know. Thank you.

@crackMBA Maybe you or anyone else can give me pointers on this. For the ArriveCAN app, it asks whether my travel is exempt, which it is as I am travelling to settle and it does state that on my AL since my PR was approved before March 18, 2020 but it gives me choices that don't pertain (cross-border work, essential services, medical support, and trade or transport).

Don't know which to choose. Any insight is appreciated.

Reactions: crackMBA
Jan 20, 2019
select not exempt from travel and then select the category that is relevant. If not then select none of the above. You should still be able to get a code i believe.

when i travelled back to Canada last month, i also selected that i am exempt from travel but then the immigration officer asked me if i am an essential worker and i told him i'm just a permanent resident returning, he then himself selected a few options and asked me to fill in my details like address n all.

AL Update
My wife also received her AL yesterday. She has 60 days to complete the travel. After almost 6 months on what seemed to be like a never ending wait, finally there's something to be happy about. This forum has been a great support throughout. For all those who are still waiting, hang in there. Looks like IRCC is turning the corner.

Will update on her travel experience once she lands.

lnmora

Aug 27, 2020
Likewise :)

I called up the customer support center today @ 1-888-242-2100

The agent informed me that the officer who issued the counterfoil has put on record that the AL was issued on 7 Jan!

So gave the agent my email-id again, and requested her to put a note informing that it needs to be re-sent

I would recommend that everyone who's in this situation of having received counterfoil on 7 Jan with 27 Feb expiry, to get in touch with them on call and request them to highlight this asap

I still haven't received my AL, but it did seem reassuring that in the coming days before its expiry there might be a chance!
yes. I did speak to them earlier, and they reassured regardless of the deadline , AL will be sent and only thing I can do is wait.

bt0317

Feb 12, 2021
Hello!

Would anyone know how long the waiting time is after IRCC requests for an updated medical exam? My COPR was issued before March 18 (expired April 2020) and have not received 4pt email. :(

Oct: raised webform
Dec 22: IRCC asked for updated medical
Jan 11: submitted medical
Jan 19: IRCC approved medical results