+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hello Guys,

I am somehow not updated with latest situations and I want to clear things up with your clarification. My situation is as below :

PPR 02/11/2020
CoPR 23/11/2020
CoPR expiry 17/03/2021

I can't travel because of the restrictions, and I have doubts I can do before Mach 17th.

Is there anything I should do right now? or I have to wait for the travel restrictions to be removed? I am afraid IRRC would remove the travel restrictions few days before my COPR expiry date and I will have few days to prepare and travel! Should I contact IRRC and ask for COPR extension?

Thanks.
You still have some hope that you might travel before 17th March 2021 if travel restrictions are eased out a bit for you in coming days. So its better to ask for CoPR extension when there is 0% chance of you travelling to Canada with your current CoPR and PRV.

You are fortunate that you know the outcome as your CoPR is issued when travel restrictions are in place. There are many including me who were approved and had flight bookings prior to announcement of travel restrictions (18th March 2020) and got stunned.

Last edited:

ibujack

Star Member
Dec 10, 2019
Right now the priority of IRCC is to make expired CoPRs to land in Canada. Since you are already in Canada then I am not sure why you are looking for AL. It seems that if you have a COPR then IRCC is gonna grant you PR status over the email maybe at later point of time or come out with something.

You should focus more on welcoming your wife and daughter as they have received the ALs for travelling.
Sure ..Thanks.. THats what i am focusing on.

ibujack

Star Member
Dec 10, 2019
Sure ..Thanks.. THats what i am focusing on.
The reason why i requested AL thinking that i cant do landing without crossing the border. so thought of going back and bring family and do the landing all together. Now thinking is change as you mentioned. i hope i will receive PR confirmation soon prior to my family comes here or as that immigration officer stated i will getting a call from Airport immigraiton officer the day when my family landed. Lets cross the finger...

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
That is personal choice and it is beneficial when airline is offering a reasonable amount in changing the booking date. Otherwise one should wait for AL. For a person travelling with family this move could be risky.

If someone clearly knows what is the reason for IRCC to update CoPR without issuing AL then that could be helpful. Are people gonna receive AL shower after 21st Jan?
Hey @whyCorona, just wanted to check. Did you book your flights? When are you planning to fly.

Kph104

Aug 26, 2019
@dr_sana Better you guys call the airline. People might not be able to give correct opinion here.
So I called up Air Canada and they said that there isn't any restriction and I should be able to fly but the agent was quite unsure so wouldn't buy his word. I couldn't find anything on the website of Lufthansa or Air Canada

Reactions: dr_sana

Kph104

Aug 26, 2019
I see that Etihad is a good option, Abu Dhabi does not have transit visa requirements if transit is less than 12 hours and the flights are relatively cheaper for Mumbai to Toronto.
Has anyone flown by that or is considering taking Etihad with AL and expired Copr?