+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
Sorry for the confusion,

I am Krishna residing in Canada. My wife is residing in India, never came to Canada earlier.

Part-1
Our express entry application was approved in March 2020 before the lockdown, and my wife (residing in India) received CoPR and PRV but could not travel due to restrictions. As my wife and myself are on the same application, I cannot receive PR unless my wife lands in Canada. In mid-December 2020, IRCC requested medical re-assessment (for my wife) and sent a 7-point email. My wife's medical passed on Dec 23, 2020. So, we are expecting AL.

Part-2
Two of my friends (who are single and) reside in Canada received a letter from IRCC to submit a photograph for a PR card (instead of conventional PPR - CoPR & PRV issue - PR landing - PR Card). It seems like the new process for the past few months for applicants who are residing in Canada.

My questions (a is related to Part 1 & b. is related to Part 2):
@crackMBA & @legalfalcon
a. As my wife's CoPR expired in May 2020 due to COVID restrictions. We are waiting for AL. Is the IRCC requesting PPR again or just issuing AL in this case?
b. As my wife and I are waiting to hear from IRCC for my wife's AL. I believe I will receive the letter from IRCC to submit the photograph for the PR card directly without PPR and CoPR process for me. Am I right?
c. IRCC is expecting the family members on the PR application to land together. Have you heard or seen any case where the applicant is in Canada, and the spouse is outside Canada - Spouse is exempted from travelling for PR landing? Can the applicant land in Canada while the spouse can land later but within the allowed time frame later? Or Should I, the applicant, has to travel to India or someplace and come back with my wife to land together?

Thank you for your patience,
Krishna
Part-2
Never heard about this procedure. IRCC started something virtual landing. May be a part of that.

Part-1
I have same case. I am in Canada and my wife is overseas(India) dependent. My application was approved in Jan 2020 and I was given an appointment to do my landing in IRCC office. On my signed COPR my wife was issued a COPR and Visa by Feb end. She was supposed to fly in May 2020 but could not because of the travel ban.
I am still confused why your procedure is different from mine. You could have landed in Canada.

To answer your questions:

a. Few people got PPR request after re med but not all. Even if you submit your passport and get a new visa, still you need an AL to travel. Few people only got AL after re med

b. I am not sure about the photograph but I submitted one during my landing to the officer. They take the photo for PR card from your gc account when you upload it(If I am not wrong). You will hear from IRCC how are you going to land on expired COPR.

c. I have the same case but spouse is not exempted. Anyone on expired VISA/COPR is not exempted unless from essential worker field. I landed first and she will land later. Not sure about travelling together.
See for (c), there is no definite answer you can land together or separate, however you want. Just be ready for the wait. There is no fixed timeline for anything now. IRCC never force you to land together. They want yo to do it so that you can avoid complications even during normal days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krish_JK

andrew325

Jan 15, 2018
Part-2
Never heard about this procedure. IRCC started something virtual landing. May be a part of that.

Part-1
I have same case. I am in Canada and my wife is overseas(India) dependent. My application was approved in Jan 2020 and I was given an appointment to do my landing in IRCC office. On my signed COPR my wife was issued a COPR and Visa by Feb end. She was supposed to fly in May 2020 but could not because of the travel ban.
I am still confused why your procedure is different from mine. You could have landed in Canada.

To answer your questions:

a. Few people got PPR request after re med but not all. Even if you submit your passport and get a new visa, still you need an AL to travel. Few people only got AL after re med

b. I am not sure about the photograph but I submitted one during my landing to the officer. They take the photo for PR card from your gc account when you upload it(If I am not wrong). You will hear from IRCC how are you going to land on expired COPR.

c. I have the same case but spouse is not exempted. Anyone on expired VISA/COPR is not exempted unless from essential worker field. I landed first and she will land later. Not sure about travelling together.
See for (c), there is no definite answer you can land together or separate, however you want. Just be ready for the wait. There is no fixed timeline for anything now. IRCC never force you to land together. They want yo to do it so that you can avoid complications even during normal days.
Thanks for your answer - helpful for me too. So you think people with expired copr and AL in hand can land separately? Cause me as a main applicant will land 21 Jan and she will do it few days later

abhishekmishra19

Jul 15, 2019
India
Try to raise GCMS notes
I raised the GCMS notes also.
Almost full GCMS (135 pages) have details from application till PPR printing.

Only one para is for post expiry and it suggest that they had received our ready to travel web form in sept20 and application is in processing with a note of 'coronavirus'

Reactions: rt0308

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
Thanks for your answer - helpful for me too. So you think people with expired copr and AL in hand can land separately? Cause me as a main applicant will land 21 Jan and she will do it few days later
I am not saying that you can but there is no specific rule on this. IRCC recommends you to fly together just to avoid confusion and complications.

abhishekmishra19

Jul 15, 2019
India
Yeah you are right..it really does no good.. our bad times are gonna end soon...
I missed the flight by one day as i was suppose to travel on 19th March (that too after 2 times of preponement) and now it is almost 9 months.
My day starts with the updates and some positive cheers from this group.

Lets not loose hope.....hang in thr....this shall too pass!!!!!

Reactions: crackMBA

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
I missed the flight by one day as i was suppose to travel on 19th March (that too after 2 times of preponement) and now it is almost 9 months.
My day starts with the updates and some positive cheers from this group.

Lets not loose hope.....hang in thr....this shall too pass!!!!!
Same here..yes..now we are close..patience will pay off soon

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
@crackMBA Thank you. I too hope for the same as Canadian's are known for being compassionate. I shall wait and see how my situation improves. But the uncertainty in IRCC's future change of course apprehends me.

Sorry for your loss in business.

I think this is very early to answer anything related to 1 year from now. Give it some more time and see how it goes. I believe, IRCC will not refuse your application as you are already approved and overcame all the hurdles.

All the best.
Pulling back to my previous conversation, in Aug 2020, I raised a concern to our fellow members about my business situation, due to which I'm stuck in UAE, and not in a position to travel to Canada, until end of 2021. My CoPR was issued on Jan 2020 and expired by July 2020. With the recent update in IRCC page for Covid as of 31st Dec 2020 (Check below IRCC status for Ref), it has been mentioned that for applicants who have expired CoPR, living outside Canada and issued prior to 18th March, shall be contacted and would be asked if they are ready to come. My concern is that if they ever contact, what will be the impact to my profile if I say that I'm not in a position to visit now but later. What are the chances that I won't be allowed for the next time? Members kindly guide me.

IRCC Statement

Approved permanent resident applicants with expired and expiring COPR and permanent resident visa who are outside Canada
You’re exempt from the travel restrictions, but can’t travel to Canada unless your documents are re-issued, if

• we approved your permanent resident application on or before March 18, 2020, and
  • we issued you a confirmation of permanent resident document that is expired or about to expire
We’ll contact you (if we haven’t already) to ask you if you’re able to travel to Canada now, to live and settle here. Once we approve you to come to Canada, we’ll issue you the documents you need to travel.

Thanks & Regards
Vimalan

IgboQueenBee

Oct 18, 2020
Hey buddy! I hope you're ok
In fact, I haven't received my passport yet. It's been full 1 month now and there has been no update since. Just to clarify, does AL stand for approved landing? I think Im not the only confused here.
Im not sure what to do once I receive the passport because I might have around one month before my COPR expires (end of Feb). Provided that IRCC is sluggish with their responses, I will basically have my COPR expired before I can even act on it.
Anyway, I am ready to travel. I can provide whatever they want me to.
It's just still the same... time and patience. In my case it has reached over 2 years.
All the best ✌
Hi kdr91

Sorry to hear about your passport. Mine took about 2 months to arrive too. I know abbreviations here can be confusing. AL means Authorization Letter. Typically, people send an RTT (Ready to Travel) webform with key details such as quarantine plan, flight and accomodation reservation, etc., then IRCC meant to reply with an AL. Priority is given to those with previously expired COPRs. But this in itself can take weeks.

If you can reach IRCC agents, can you please ask if we can submit the webform and then travel without waiting for AL? Just merely updating them. I've tried ringing them, but can't due to my location.

Thanks.

Reactions: kdr91

Titanium

Mar 9, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
AOR Received.
October 2019
When was you COPR approved and what is the expiry date of your COPR?
Approved in November 2020
Valid till first week March 2021.

My medical validity is also first week March 2021, while validity for dependents in November 2021.

meeram

Dec 2, 2020
Hi,
Is there anyone who received regret mail on Dec 2nd still waiting for GC key update ? We did our re-medicals on Dec 7th and so far there has been no update on our profile. VO is NDVO. Thanks

Craigcaeiro

Star Member
Mar 25, 2019
Wait for any update seems to be much longer for us. COPR expired on 1st April20. Raised multiple web forms and received generic replies.
Also opened GCMS notes without any inputs.

Still anyone hanging from April20 and waiting for AL/Remeds?

We too waiting with no response n no updates. Our CPR expired on 13th April 2020. Raised multiple webforms and just the same generic replies.

Craigcaeiro

Star Member
Mar 25, 2019
I received AL but my medicals have expired.They have mentioned I should pass a health check before I board..are they referring to the Covid test?
Hi when is the AL they provided u with valid till?? and in your GC Key have they updated your new COPR details? whats the expiry date of ur new COPR in your GCKey?

Lee1987

Jul 26, 2018
Hi,
Is there anyone who received regret mail on Dec 2nd still waiting for GC key update ? We did our re-medicals on Dec 7th and so far there has been no update on our profile. VO is NDVO. Thanks
Received regret email on 5th Nov. Re-medicals on 24 Nov. No update in account. VO is NDVO.

hypervariate123

Aug 13, 2019
You are quite positive person and these words are highly appreciated in these tough times when most ppl like me are really depressed and desperately waiting to land since an year.My file was approved in last Jan.I resigned from job on 26th Jan.That time we could never imagine that we would be sitting here till next Jan and perhaps more.So it was not easy to go through this long wait.
Hopefully we all get thru this by the end of January and by next month we all can land.. earnest prayers to God!
I know. @crackMBA is keeping me going right now and it's not an exaggeration.

Reactions: Penumetcha