+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

hypervariate123

Aug 13, 2019
I know people are telling you not to risk layover and I am racking my brain trying to understand what is wrong with having a layover. Your AL/COPR/visa are all legal documents that the airline/immigration/customs have to accept. Yes expired but the AL clarifies things and it is the responsibility of airline/immigration to keep up to date with changes to any immigration rule and even if they need to clarify anything, it's a quick call or a visit to IATA or other relevant website to verify/clarify any information

I live in a country where layover is a MUST. There are no direct flights to Canada so when I am ready to travel, I will be having one or two layovers before arriving Canada.
Hey! I was one of the people who advised not to prefer a layover. The reason for this being additional complications at the time of transferring between flights in a third country.

It is up to immigration to keep track of these things in an ideal scenario - but if life was ideal, we'd not be bitching about our expired COPRs in this forum :)

If there are only layover flights for you, that's fine. Just remember to carry all your supporting documents and print out IRCC website pages that state your eligibility to land. There is nothing to suggest that everyone has a problem with layovers. It's just less of a headache to go without one.

hypervariate123

Aug 13, 2019
Hi Folks,
I raised 4 RTT webforms detailing travel/quarantine plan. This morning I got multiple emails from CIC all asking to check my account & messages in my account. Anyhow I have been asked to redo medicals.
My understanding was we got automatic 6 month extension on medicals; which should be 23-Feb for me.

Why am i asked to redo meds if Im in the grace period? Anyone same issue?
Any idea how long it takes after the meds are completed?

Apart from all the expense on doing these medicals, there aren't even a single appointment available in any of the major capital cities in Australia until March.
It's on a case-by-case basis. Please redo your meds as soon as you can.
It should take a month more.

Reactions: tomx420 and hinavin

PRAspirant_123

Sep 25, 2018
As per the recommendation of IRCC, you should not do soft landing at this time.
My Copr expires Feb 17 and i'm planning to do soft landing. I live in US and need to come back in 4-5 days so quarantine is not an option.

What would happen if i dont land in Canada before feb 17 2021? Do they extend it? Should i raise a web form?

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
I know people are telling you not to risk layover and I am racking my brain trying to understand what is wrong with having a layover. Your AL/COPR/visa are all legal documents that the airline/immigration/customs have to accept. Yes expired but the AL clarifies things and it is the responsibility of airline/immigration to keep up to date with changes to any immigration rule and even if they need to clarify anything, it's a quick call or a visit to IATA or other relevant website to verify/clarify any information

I live in a country where layover is a MUST. There are no direct flights to Canada so when I am ready to travel, I will be having one or two layovers before arriving Canada.
Hey! I was one of the people who advised not to prefer a layover. The reason for this being additional complications at the time of transferring between flights in a third country.

It is up to immigration to keep track of these things in an ideal scenario - but if life was ideal, we'd not be bitching about our expired COPRs in this forum :)

If there are only layover flights for you, that's fine. Just remember to carry all your supporting documents and print out IRCC website pages that state your eligibility to land. There is nothing to suggest that everyone has a problem with layovers. It's just less of a headache to go without one.
Just wanted to make sure if we are talking about layover vs connection or transit??

I may be wrong below - but with limited information I thought:

If one does not have a direct flight, does not automatically mean you must layover. My understanding is in a layover one needs to exit the airside and usually needs immigration and re-security inspection.

But one can buy ticket with connection (1, 2 or 4...does not matter) and save for some exceptions (some European airports), most airports can be transited through.

But I tend to agree with @hypervariate123 - the money saved is not worth the risk or the stress of uncertainty. You are correct @Welluf2019 on all counts of proper legal right to travel and airport authorities should sort it out. But in such times in case one gets stuck in a situation can you visualise what is it that can be done? Sure complain at the airport. Stamp on visa and CoPR dates will show expired. AL would be a print out of a pdf or email. Yeah - not a convincing argument with the connection flight clock, ticking away! Not recomended,

Last edited:

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
My Copr expires Feb 17 and i'm planning to do soft landing. I live in US and need to come back in 4-5 days so quarantine is not an option.

What would happen if i dont land in Canada before feb 17 2021? Do they extend it? Should i raise a web form?
Officially, currently you can request extension on COVID 19 grounds. In February, we are not sure if those offerings would remain the same. If not C19, standard request and likely long drawn standards, based on reasonable, real unavoidable personal circumstances can be an option. Not a strong one.

Soft landing is and never was an official status. We take advantage of the free passage allowances Canada gives us and 'leave' for personal gains/reasons. PR application was to settle here, right!? :) Having said that it is common practice, many do it and few have been able to do it even in the last few months. They got away - would you want to risk being questioned when you eventually come back to Canada on why did you land and leave?

These 850 pages of tough time most are facing in trying to extend and land immediately and permanently with clear proof - demonstrate the success rate of extension has been low and slow.
Best wishes!

maral_meraj

Oct 5, 2019

My CoPR expires on 7 Jan 2021.
I do not know what to do either. I can not land in two weeks.

Welluf2019

Star Member
Feb 4, 2019
Just wanted to make sure if we are talking about layover vs connection or transit??

I may be wrong below - but with limited information I thought:

If one does not have a direct flight, does not automatically mean you must layover. My understanding is in a layover one needs to exit the airside and usually needs immigration and re-security inspection.

But one can buy ticket with connection (1, 2 or 4...does not matter) and save for some exceptions (some European airports), most airports can be transited through.

But I tend to agree with @hypervariate123 - the money saved is not worth the risk or the stress of uncertainty. You are correct @Welluf2019 on all counts of proper legal right to travel and airport authorities should sort it out. But in such times in case one gets stuck in a situation can you visualise what is it that can be done? Sure complain at the airport. Stamp on visa and CoPR dates will show expired. AL would be a print out of a pdf or email. Yeah - not a convincing argument with the connection flight clock, ticking away! Not recomended,
I assumed layover(people have used the term layover in place of transit/connecting flights) as in connection/transits without leaving the airside. I still insist that either way is fine and there is no need to put unnecessary pressure/fear on people. I know at least 4 people who have travelled from Europe with connecting flights and they had no issue. I also know people who left last month from Western Africa and 1 person from Australia and they all did not have issues with connecting flights/transits. The one from Australia had a 9 hour lay over and actually left the airport.

I definitely agree that it's less of a hassle to fly direct but not everyone can afford to and I just wanted those who are looking at ways to save money, and might be panicking after reading comments about avoiding layover, that people are doing it with no issues. If the guy/lady wants to save money as this darn Covid-19 has affected a lot of people financially, then let him do it. We are not in each other's pocket and so have no idea what people have in their accounts and plans they have in place for when they get to Canada. He can call the airline(s) to confirm there wouldn't be an issue

Good luck everyone and wish us all happy holidays and a bright and cheerful new year

Last edited:
Reactions: hinavin

Marriageisbliss

Oct 23, 2018
Hi,
How long from PPR does it take before IRCC contact you for COPR? They (Dakar VO) received passports since 02 November 2020.
Thanks.
they recieved our passport oct 2019. passed everything jan 3. 2020. March 10 approved. oct 2020 approval letter sent. oct 20 passport sent out with visa expiring Feb 27 2021.half way out the country, asked foe visa/passport back to update judiciaire. still heard nothing.