+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

kpatel1988

Star Member
Jun 16, 2020
Apologies in advance if this is out of topic, but what are people who have been left unemployed due to resignation/ COVID/ economic slowdown etc do to pass the time?

Everyday just seems to be going at a snail's pace with no end in sight. Had quit my Job due to the migration plan and then lockdown hit. Webform after webform ready to travel with no reply. COPR expired June 06th, had got a letter in GC account stating in a nutshell, "no worries if you can't travel let us know when you're ready"

I spent june, july ,august, sept in my own place but the cost of living, rent etc began earing into the nest egg I had saved for canada so moved into my parent's house, only to get taunts from my parents and the neigbors on how I made the worst decision of my life by quitting the job.

People who don't know who the mayor of the city is are commenting on how Biden's win will close all canada doors and the COPR will be made void. Listening to this day in and day out is really destroying my soul.

Will delete if inappropriate. Not looking for anything, just needed to get this off my chest.

Reactions: Craigcaeiro

Kalika18

Star Member
May 18, 2018
Apologies in advance if this is out of topic, but what are people who have been left unemployed due to resignation/ COVID/ economic slowdown etc do to pass the time?

Everyday just seems to be going at a snail's pace with no end in sight. Had quit my Job due to the migration plan and then lockdown hit. Webform after webform ready to travel with no reply. COPR expired June 06th, had got a letter in GC account stating in a nutshell, "no worries if you can't travel let us know when you're ready"

I spent june, july ,august, sept in my own place but the cost of living, rent etc began earing into the nest egg I had saved for canada so moved into my parent's house, only to get taunts from my parents and the neigbors on how I made the worst decision of my life by quitting the job.

People who don't know who the mayor of the city is are commenting on how Biden's win will close all canada doors and the COPR will be made void. Listening to this day in and day out is really destroying my soul.

Will delete if inappropriate. Not looking for anything, just needed to get this off my chest.
Why dont you focus on exercise , physical fitness or brushing up skills on linkedin learning ?

butterflyins

Star Member
Nov 17, 2019

Sorry for what has transpired in your case, which I'm sure many can relate to, but you should most certainly look for a job again, and move out of your parent's place if it's becoming that insane! Work will keep you busy and give you a sense of dignity. If you received your COPR before the 18th, you should remain hopeful, as many people in that category are now seeing some movement in their profiles, and so there's a good chance you'll receive a re-medical request/AL in the next 3-4 months. In my case, I am trying to stay mildly optimistic, but I have accepted reality that it could be a LONG WAIT, because the Canadians right now don't care about 'potential immigrants'! So I have decided to move on with my life and resume work. Hope this helps you. Stay well!

wick_sran

Mar 5, 2012
India
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-06-2019
IELTS Request
01-02-2019
When did you get your 4 pointer email and responded to same? Any webforms or follow ups after that?
Received the four pointer email on October 2 and replied back on the next day. Raised the follow up web form on October 30 and received response on November 5, and 13 minutes later notification letter popped up into my email. I believe that has nothing to do with the web form raised as most applicants from NDVO received it the same time. Also, the response to web form is standard format saying that the information had been forwarded to responsible office and urging to contact them too.

Stnz

Oct 22, 2020

The situation you are in is not your fault. COVID has shambled many lives in different ways. What people say should not define your life and the choices you take for your happiness. Like you there are many of us who are extremely upset at how things played out. We are dismayed but life has to move on eventually and I have accepted the fact that my wait to start fresh in Canada will last a bit longer. It's good to have this forum and to speak out your thoughts. Don't bottle up and know that this too shall pass.

Mumbai2Canada

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019

I am kind of in a similar situation as yours though I guess your period of unemployment appears to be slightly longer than mine. I will try and suggest things that I have been following .

In my case, I have turned to certifications and online learnings to improve my "employability" chances in Canada when I do land there. If you are in IT or the tech field then I would suggest the same for you. This is the most free time you are ever going to get so you might as well make use of it to strengthen your resume with these learnings. Whether they actually help in getting a job quickly over there is something we will know only after we land there but this will at least keep you occupied for now.

Someone suggested getting a job but I actually do not agree with that. If you have made up your mind that you now have no plans on moving till mid next year then taking that route makes sense otherwise it is just going to add to your stress if you end up with the AL all of a sudden with a November end or a December end expiry while your new job has a long notice period. If you can get short term contract jobs, freelance jobs or jobs that allow you to continue in Canada then that is a different case and I would suggest taking those up.

I have been staying off social media. It helps me get relatively less frustrated by not trying to compare what I am going through with others. I am not sure why your neighbors are so involved in your life but absolutely ignore them. Not much you can do about your parents though other than hopefully proving them wrong once you land in Canada.

Finally, why would Biden's win close doors in Canada and COPRs be made void? Am I missing some news on that front which should scare me because I had not heard of that one before?

Last edited:

manutd2018

Star Member
Jun 20, 2020
I received the e-medical mail day before yesterday and today I got the medical done as well. Max at New Delhi is not asking for any kind of proof, I told them that it is for an expired CoPR so they just enquired about the last medical date and wrote that on my form.
Hi,
What's the reference number have the hospital taken. Application Number or UCI number.

kpatel1988

Star Member
Jun 16, 2020
Why dont you focus on exercise , physical fitness or brushing up skills on linkedin learning ?
Thanks so much, have been doing that! Started with regular walks and jogs in the colony to get away from the stifling madness for a bit atleast :)

Avoiding gyms and fitness centers since my parents are in the high risk category and really don't want to do anything to endanger them at this point

Thank you for taking the time out to reply and advise. Really appreciate it

kpatel1988

Star Member
Jun 16, 2020
Sorry for what has transpired in your case, which I'm sure many can relate to, but you should most certainly look for a job again, and move out of your parent's place if it's becoming that insane! Work will keep you busy and give you a sense of dignity. If you received your COPR before the 18th, you should remain hopeful, as many people in that category are now seeing some movement in their profiles, and so there's a good chance you'll receive a re-medical request/AL in the next 3-4 months. In my case, I am trying to stay mildly optimistic, but I have accepted reality that it could be a LONG WAIT, because the Canadians right now don't care about 'potential immigrants'! So I have decided to move on with my life and resume work. Hope this helps you. Stay well!
Thanks buddy! Unfortunately, what you are saying is the bittersweet truth. I had hoped with the initial "information letter" everything would be done and sorted in 60-90 days max.

That seems like a pipe dream now. It just seems like we have to write off the year 2020. I did receive my COPR before the 18th March so keeping fingers crossed, but there is a sense of pragmatism to it as well knowing that the odds are greater of not receiving anything as opposed to thigns going smoothly.

I have a job lined up at 50% of my original CTC making it a bitter pill to swallow, but considering the economic situation in India, I'll bite the bullet and take up the job if nothing else but to atleast sustain myself and get some peace of mind.

Thanks for your kind wishes and taking the time out to reply, really appreciate it. Honestly, I hope things work out for each and every one person in this forum. In times like this, it is only this group I feel who really know what one another is going through.

kpatel1988

Star Member
Jun 16, 2020
The situation you are in is not your fault. COVID has shambled many lives in different ways. What people say should not define your life and the choices you take for your happiness. Like you there are many of us who are extremely upset at how things played out. We are dismayed but life has to move on eventually and I have accepted the fact that my wait to start fresh in Canada will last a bit longer. It's good to have this forum and to speak out your thoughts. Don't bottle up and know that this too shall pass.
Thanks very much for your kind words, They really brought a smile to my face. Reading the comments here and crutching everybody else up in their times of downfall shwos true strength of character and members in this group have it in spades.

God bless us all :)

kpatel1988

Star Member
Jun 16, 2020
I am kind of in a similar situation as yours though I guess your period of unemployment appears to be slightly longer than mine. I will try and suggest things that I have been following .

In my case, I have turned to certifications and online learnings to improve my "employability" chances in Canada when I do land there. If you are in IT or the tech field then I would suggest the same for you. This is the most free time you are ever going to get so you might as well make use of it to strengthen your resume with these learnings. Whether they actually help in getting a job quickly over there is something we will know only after we land there but this will at least keep you occupied for now.

Someone suggested getting a job but I actually do not agree with that. If you have made up your mind that you now have no plans on moving till mid next year then taking that route makes sense otherwise it is just going to add to your stress if you end up with the AL all of a sudden with a November end or a December end expiry while your new job has a long notice period. If you can get short term contract jobs, freelance jobs or jobs that allow you to continue in Canada then that is a different case and I would suggest taking those up.

I have been staying off social media. It helps me get relatively less frustrated by not trying to compare what I am going through with others. I am not sure why your neighbors are so involved in your life but absolutely ignore them. Not much you can do about your parents though other than hopefully proving them wrong once you land in Canada.

Finally, why would Biden's win close doors in Canada and COPRs be made void? Am I missing some news on that front which should scare me because I had not heard of that one before?
Thanks man, this is really practical advice and honestly, it mirrors whatever I have/ am going through.

I'm in the sales/ marketing field so I cannot brush up onto IT skills but I'm learning french as a language online. Hopefully, that might give a slight edge which is something only time will tell. I'm currently looking to take up a job, only so that I can get away from the frustration of being cooped up at home and away from the "advice" of "well wishers"

if nothing else, I'll help me keep my sanity and drain less of my nest fund for the promised land :)
Keeping the option open with them though, it's a lower position and lower pay with grunt repsonsiblities so I'm sure they won't mind if I take off even without any notice period.

dn3

Feb 14, 2019
Category........
PNP

Why not to focus on learning/bettering household chores and cooking, which would come handy in the society that we are trying to move to. Also, learn some free courses for upskilling or for developing new interests. Save your spirit like you want to save your money. In the times of capitalism, one needs the other for survival and success!