+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Mutha123

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
Hi All,
Long post alert !!
Sharing my experience on landing in Toronto ,Canada first time- CoPR holder from USA.
PR received before 18 March 2020.
Route- Chicago - Toronto

We were not able to get the boarding pass online so we did it at the airport and the staff asked us our purpose of travel to Canada and why are we travelling two days prior to the expiry of the PR. We just said we are landing for the first time and we have a valid PR and we showed the mail from IRCC which stated we are eligible to travel. But still she was not very convinced and took around 20 mins to go through various rules on her system. She asked our travel plans back to US and we said we do not have plans to return and then after some 10 mins she gave us the boarding pass. Before boarding the flight a form with general health questions was given and need to be filled and handed over to the airline agent before boarding.

We landed in Toronto by noon.

Immigration :
1) As soon as we enter the terminal we were asked to fill a form with our name,purpose of visit, date of landing and airbnb address ( quarantine address) details for the next 14 days. We were asked to give this form at the immigration counter.
2) Then we went to the kiosk and filled our details and answered basic questions on purpose of visit,security protocol questions etc. and scanned our passports and declared food items and fruits that we had. A receipt with our photo was generated with all the mentioned details.
3) Next stop was a counter where an officer asked what kind of food items we carry, purpose of visit and quarantine plan.She checked our COPR,the kiosk receipt, our passport and wrote a code on the receipt and asked us to go to the immigration counter. Before entering the counter we were asked to drop the form (point 1) in a box.
4) There were 5 people before us and when our turn came we gave the kiosk receipt, COPR, passport to the IO. She asked us the below ques:
a) Purpose of visit - New PR holders Landing for first time.
b) Quarantine plan - Have booked a private airbnb basement with private entrance, kitchen and restroom. No part of the house is shared.
c) Plan for food and medicines - We have some basic food with us and we have ordered grocery delivery to the airbnb address as well. For medicines we have basic medicine with us and in case if we need we will order it online as well.
d) Plan after quarantine - We have some house visits scheduled to rent and we will start applying for jobs as well post quarantine.
e) Any other dependents - No.
f) Address to which PR card need to be sent - We filled our friend's address on the IRCC copy of the COPR.
The IO asked us to be seated and after five mins she called us and asked us to sign the COPR ( both copy) and stamped the passports and congratulated us on becoming the PR of Canada and she signed the COPR ( both copy ) as well. She took the IRCC copy which had our photos on it and gave us the client copy.

Informed PR card will take four months to be delivered and we can apply for SIN online and health card once the service canada opens and we need to wait for 3 months before applying for health card. Asked us to be on quarantine for next 14 days and informed that if we leave the country then we need PR card to enter else we need to apply for PRTD visa. She asked us if we plan to leave Canada and we said nope we are settling in and we have goods to follow list with us. She directed us to the Customs dept.

Customs :

1) I had four copy each for Goods accompanying and goods to follow and pics of Gold jewels as well.
2) The officer stamped the forms and the pics and checked the line item of gold jewels and verified it with attached pics.
3) Gave us a printed bill with the total value of goods to follow and asked us to give a copy of that to the transport company when they cross the land border with our goods.
If you have everything ready then its a simple process. You can have a normal handwritten copy or you can take a print of the form online and fill the columns with the goods and the value. I did both to be on a safer side and the officer was curious to know why I did that :D :D Just told him no specific reason and did that to be on the safer side. He just laughed about being too very careful about things :D :D

Quarantine :
We booked Uber to the airbnb address and did not stop anywhere on the way. The owner of airbnb left us some grocery, a small bag of rice and ready to eat stuff as well near our entrance :) :) and asked us to let him know if we need to buy something. 14 days went slowly and we did not go out anywhere and after a week we received 3-4 mails from Health Dept mentioning the guidelines for quarantine and services to contact in case of emergency and if we have some symptoms.

Linking PR application to CIC Profile :
Was able to link my PR application with the CIC profile but was unable to do it for my husband (dependent) though we gave all the details properly. Have raised a webform so will keep updated if there are any improvements.

Phone Number :
We ordered Koodo Prepaid SIM and took the basic plan since we needed a local number.

Post - Quarantine :
Opened two bank accounts with credit card - One for me (Scotia Bank) and one for my husband (CIBC) for address proof purpose for SIN. In Scotia they asked me if I have any Canada address proof and I showed my Friend's bank statement and they asked us if we have one in our name. It was not logical since we were in quarantine for 14 days but we had the billing address of Koodo mobile in our name and it had my friend's Canada address. So we showed that and he accepted that. In CIBC no address proof was asked but they asked us the current address alone ( Gave the friend's address).

SIN Application :

Applied SIN for both of us with COPR, Passport and Bank statement which had our name and Canada address.

Thank u all for helping me in this process. :) Will be happy to help if you have any questions. :) :) :)
Hi, thanks a lot for details.

Can we order the SIM through online and door delivered to quarantine address ? How many days it takes to get delivered? Any proof is required ? Also, is it possible to order it online and delivered at quarantine place before we land ?

Plesee guide.

dikshasingh

Jan 15, 2019
Hi,

All good to go for your proof of funds (pof). Not to worry!

If you have online access to bank accounts and / or online statements, take prints. Coloured are fine, black and white will do. Carry the older bank certificate as well. If you don't have access to online internet banking, that might be something you could ask for now from your bank (if time permits).

Remember, if officer ever doubts establishing the truth is not difficult for them.

Secondly, coming from UAE i think they well realize, most if not all who are coming to Canada have sufficiently above required tax free earning/savings.

Get packing, stay safe on your way here...and get ready to roar into celebrations!

The True North is all eager to welcome you!
Thanks alot @hinavin for the reply and really appreciate the positivity :) Looking forward to being in Canada soon!

Sidd1988can

Star Member
Jul 27, 2019
Hi All,
Long post alert !!
Sharing my experience on landing in Toronto ,Canada first time- CoPR holder from USA.
PR received before 18 March 2020.
Route- Chicago - Toronto

We were not able to get the boarding pass online so we did it at the airport and the staff asked us our purpose of travel to Canada and why are we travelling two days prior to the expiry of the PR. We just said we are landing for the first time and we have a valid PR and we showed the mail from IRCC which stated we are eligible to travel. But still she was not very convinced and took around 20 mins to go through various rules on her system. She asked our travel plans back to US and we said we do not have plans to return and then after some 10 mins she gave us the boarding pass. Before boarding the flight a form with general health questions was given and need to be filled and handed over to the airline agent before boarding.

We landed in Toronto by noon.

Immigration :
1) As soon as we enter the terminal we were asked to fill a form with our name,purpose of visit, date of landing and airbnb address ( quarantine address) details for the next 14 days. We were asked to give this form at the immigration counter.
2) Then we went to the kiosk and filled our details and answered basic questions on purpose of visit,security protocol questions etc. and scanned our passports and declared food items and fruits that we had. A receipt with our photo was generated with all the mentioned details.
3) Next stop was a counter where an officer asked what kind of food items we carry, purpose of visit and quarantine plan.She checked our COPR,the kiosk receipt, our passport and wrote a code on the receipt and asked us to go to the immigration counter. Before entering the counter we were asked to drop the form (point 1) in a box.
4) There were 5 people before us and when our turn came we gave the kiosk receipt, COPR, passport to the IO. She asked us the below ques:
a) Purpose of visit - New PR holders Landing for first time.
b) Quarantine plan - Have booked a private airbnb basement with private entrance, kitchen and restroom. No part of the house is shared.
c) Plan for food and medicines - We have some basic food with us and we have ordered grocery delivery to the airbnb address as well. For medicines we have basic medicine with us and in case if we need we will order it online as well.
d) Plan after quarantine - We have some house visits scheduled to rent and we will start applying for jobs as well post quarantine.
e) Any other dependents - No.
f) Address to which PR card need to be sent - We filled our friend's address on the IRCC copy of the COPR.
The IO asked us to be seated and after five mins she called us and asked us to sign the COPR ( both copy) and stamped the passports and congratulated us on becoming the PR of Canada and she signed the COPR ( both copy ) as well. She took the IRCC copy which had our photos on it and gave us the client copy.

Informed PR card will take four months to be delivered and we can apply for SIN online and health card once the service canada opens and we need to wait for 3 months before applying for health card. Asked us to be on quarantine for next 14 days and informed that if we leave the country then we need PR card to enter else we need to apply for PRTD visa. She asked us if we plan to leave Canada and we said nope we are settling in and we have goods to follow list with us. She directed us to the Customs dept.

Customs :

1) I had four copy each for Goods accompanying and goods to follow and pics of Gold jewels as well.
2) The officer stamped the forms and the pics and checked the line item of gold jewels and verified it with attached pics.
3) Gave us a printed bill with the total value of goods to follow and asked us to give a copy of that to the transport company when they cross the land border with our goods.
If you have everything ready then its a simple process. You can have a normal handwritten copy or you can take a print of the form online and fill the columns with the goods and the value. I did both to be on a safer side and the officer was curious to know why I did that :D :D Just told him no specific reason and did that to be on the safer side. He just laughed about being too very careful about things :D :D

Quarantine :
We booked Uber to the airbnb address and did not stop anywhere on the way. The owner of airbnb left us some grocery, a small bag of rice and ready to eat stuff as well near our entrance :) :) and asked us to let him know if we need to buy something. 14 days went slowly and we did not go out anywhere and after a week we received 3-4 mails from Health Dept mentioning the guidelines for quarantine and services to contact in case of emergency and if we have some symptoms.

Linking PR application to CIC Profile :
Was able to link my PR application with the CIC profile but was unable to do it for my husband (dependent) though we gave all the details properly. Have raised a webform so will keep updated if there are any improvements.

Phone Number :
We ordered Koodo Prepaid SIM and took the basic plan since we needed a local number.

Post - Quarantine :
Opened two bank accounts with credit card - One for me (Scotia Bank) and one for my husband (CIBC) for address proof purpose for SIN. In Scotia they asked me if I have any Canada address proof and I showed my Friend's bank statement and they asked us if we have one in our name. It was not logical since we were in quarantine for 14 days but we had the billing address of Koodo mobile in our name and it had my friend's Canada address. So we showed that and he accepted that. In CIBC no address proof was asked but they asked us the current address alone ( Gave the friend's address).

SIN Application :

Applied SIN for both of us with COPR, Passport and Bank statement which had our name and Canada address.

Thank u all for helping me in this process. :) Will be happy to help if you have any questions. :) :) :)
Many congratulations on your landing

Reactions: SaraRahul

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
Dear All,

Lengthy Text!! Thanks for the patience to read and respond.

Legend:
Green (Text from User)
Other Colors: From Source (IRCC Website)

Greetings, I'm an Indian, currently working in the UAE. Initially, I had plans to do a Softlanding in Mid of May 2020 and do the Permanent move to Canada by Q1 of 2022. My CoPR Expired on 25th June 2020. My revised plans were to do a soft-landing in November 2020 and return back to the UAE after spending a month in Canada. I dint wish to move right now given I have a stable job in UAE.

With changes placed on 10th July 2020, it seems Soft-landing is not appreciated at this point of time. So Kindly help me to decode the below statements,

IRCC-Statement-1

Approved permanent resident applicants with expired or expiring documents
If you’re outside Canada
If we already approved your permanent resident application, but you can't travel to Canada before your documents expire, or your documents have already expired, don’t contact us until you’re ready to travel to Canada.

Question Set-1
* There is no time period mentioned. Does it mean we have an open end and can plan our travel anytime? Say 2021?

IRCC-Statement-2
When you’re ready to travel to Canada

Use the Web form to let us know when, and the reason(s) why. The next steps will depend on your situation.

You can come to Canada and become a permanent resident now if you plan to stay and settle here. If you’re planning on coming temporarily and leaving again, you can’t do that right now unless you meet a different travel exemption.

Question Set-2
* It mentions indirectly stating that Soft-landing is not possible now, However, if we meet the Travel Exemption we can do the Soft landing?
* Can we consider ourself as a permanent resident and do soft-landing with a stay period more than the mandatory quarantine and return back say after 20 days?
Thanks in Advance for the reply. :):)

Reactions: kpatel1988

mr1989

Dec 23, 2019
I maybe reading it wrong but as per the banner does it mean that only flights departing from Toronto will arrive at other destinations ... And that we have to travel to Delhi for onward flight ??
Do these VBM flights allow COPR Holders ?

Is there also a requirement of showing recent proof of funds once I land in Canada ?

If I land in Toronto, can I travel to Montreal by Train and start my 14 days quarantine there ? (not sure if that's breaking the law)

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
Dear All,

Lengthy Text!! Thanks for the patience to read and respond.

Legend:
Green (Text from User)
Other Colors: From Source (IRCC Website)

Greetings, I'm an Indian, currently working in the UAE. Initially, I had plans to do a Softlanding in Mid of May 2020 and do the Permanent move to Canada by Q1 of 2022. My CoPR Expired on 25th June 2020. My revised plans were to do a soft-landing in November 2020 and return back to the UAE after spending a month in Canada. I dint wish to move right now given I have a stable job in UAE.

With changes placed on 10th July 2020, it seems Soft-landing is not appreciated at this point of time. So Kindly help me to decode the below statements,

IRCC-Statement-1

Approved permanent resident applicants with expired or expiring documents
If you’re outside Canada
If we already approved your permanent resident application, but you can't travel to Canada before your documents expire, or your documents have already expired, don’t contact us until you’re ready to travel to Canada.

Question Set-1
* There is no time period mentioned. Does it mean we have an open end and can plan our travel anytime? Say 2021?

IRCC-Statement-2
When you’re ready to travel to Canada

Use the Web form to let us know when, and the reason(s) why. The next steps will depend on your situation.

You can come to Canada and become a permanent resident now if you plan to stay and settle here. If you’re planning on coming temporarily and leaving again, you can’t do that right now unless you meet a different travel exemption.

Question Set-2
* It mentions indirectly stating that Soft-landing is not possible now, However, if we meet the Travel Exemption we can do the Soft landing?
* Can we consider ourself as a permanent resident and do soft-landing with a stay period more than the mandatory quarantine and return back say after 20 days?
Thanks in Advance for the reply. :):)
Answer to Question-2
Yes, you can do that. May be a bit unethical but its possible. Just make sure you book 1 way tickets and make arrangements for your PR card. To enter Canada again you would need PR card or PRTD visa.

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019
Do these VBM flights allow COPR Holders ?

Is there also a requirement of showing recent proof of funds once I land in Canada ?

If I land in Toronto, can I travel to Montreal by Train and start my 14 days quarantine there ? (not sure if that's breaking the law)
Yes these flights allow COPR holders. Yes you need to show proof of funds documents while landing. You can show your latest bank statement as proof of funds. As a cherry on top you can even have your branch manger issue you a official letter stating your current balance and its current CAD equivalent.

I would advise against traveling to Montreal immediately after landing. Reasons as follows:
1. In current scenario you will have to give quarantine address to IO. If it is in Montreal it may cause issues.
2. Secondly as you said traveling via Canadian transport without first finishing quarantine would be in direct violation of Quarantine Act. What if you infect other anytime during this travel ?? You should finish your quarantine in the city you are landing and then proceed onward.

Reactions: SithLord and mr1989

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
Answer to Question-2
Yes, you can do that. May be a bit unethical but its possible. Just make sure you book 1 way tickets and make arrangements for your PR card. To enter Canada again you would need PR card or PRTD visa.
Dear @crackMBA

Thank you for your swift response. I dint wish to mess with any loopholes in the system but would like to know the possibilities of doing something legal. (The matter of Ethical is subjective though). Pre COVID, there have been cases of Soft landing and returning within a day or two.

Citing the present Job market conditions in Canada for my Profile, It's difficult to find a job. Let me see how it works in the next IRCC update.

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
Dear @crackMBA

Thank you for your swift response. I dint wish to mess with any loopholes in the system but would like to know the possibilities of doing something legal. (The matter of Ethical is subjective though). Pre COVID, there have been cases of Soft landing and returning within a day or two.

Citing the present Job market conditions in Canada for my Profile, It's difficult to find a job. Let me see how it works in the next IRCC update.
Yup I understand the situation of jobs that is why I said you can do it, just make sure about your PR Card. Also, PRE COVID, IRCC never requested anyone to come only when he/she wants to settle permanently that is why I wrote unethical.

Nothing against anyone.
All the best

Last edited:
Reactions: hinavin

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
@crackMBA I agree with You. Things getting bewildered in every update from IRCC, I'm still uncertain how things will change in the near future. Guess now it's all about the 'wait and watch'. The question about the PR Card is one more issue to deal with. But I believe there must be many such members with lots of uncertainties. Hope the situation gets better and normalcy is restored back in our lives.

Reactions: crackMBA

mr1989

Dec 23, 2019
Yes these flights allow COPR holders. Yes you need to show proof of funds documents while landing. You can show your latest bank statement as proof of funds. As a cherry on top you can even have your branch manger issue you a official letter stating your current balance and its current CAD equivalent.

I would advise against traveling to Montreal immediately after landing. Reasons as follows:
1. In current scenario you will have to give quarantine address to IO. If it is in Montreal it may cause issues.
2. Secondly as you said traveling via Canadian transport without first finishing quarantine would be in direct violation of Quarantine Act. What if you infect other anytime during this travel ?? You should finish your quarantine in the city you are landing and then proceed onward.
@pkhare23 You are right giving Montreal's address as the quarantine address can be a problem. But I read on the official website which might be helpful for people going to other cities.

If you are arriving from outside Canada and are deemed safe to fly, you may board a connecting flight to your destination. However, upon arrival at your final destination, you must go directly to the place where you will isolate, and remain there for 14 days. This is because you are still at risk of developing symptoms and infecting others.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html

pumpkin_latte

Oct 17, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Slightly off-topic, but I just want to thank everybody who posts their questions, suggestions, landing experiences, etc. It's a great community and I'm really happy to get so much knowledge sitting at my desk. Please prioritize the safety of yourselves and loved ones as you traverse these troubled waters.

And I understand the sentiment that this isn't an India-centric thread, so let us also share any news we find regarding travel restrictions/lifts on movement that we come across for other countries so that everyone can benefit. Thanks again and good luck.

P.s. My mom told me that she'll make my favourite dishes at home for as long as I stay should my visa expire in September. So there's something positive there! :)

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
I contacted Etihad support and this is what they replied

Hi, to fly inbound to Abu Dhabi, you either need a valid ICA or GDFRA approval from the government. Both approvals are accepted. We accept guest with GDRFA approval as long as you get the "OK TO BOARD" upon check in at the airport

Can anyone explain what is GDRPA approval and does this mean they accept transit passengers?

Reactions: pkhare23

pumpkin_latte

Oct 17, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
I contacted Etihad support and this is what they replied

Hi, to fly inbound to Abu Dhabi, you either need a valid ICA or GDFRA approval from the government. Both approvals are accepted. We accept guest with GDRFA approval as long as you get the "OK TO BOARD" upon check in at the airport

Can anyone explain what is GDRPA approval and does this mean they accept transit passengers?
Try reading this article and see if gives you some bit of context to do your own research or at least until another poster gives you a more pointed reply

Reactions: SithLord

RT8

Star Member
Jan 30, 2020
Any idea , based on the current update on their page, If we send the Canada office a webform asking for an extension , stating you're ready to travel and also answer those 3 things- employment, stay , tickets they asked for as intent of staying will they give the extension or do we still need to wait for the local office (NDVO) to open for an extension. Has anyone asked this while on a call with them?