+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Tweetbird

Jun 14, 2019
Hello Everyone

Proud to say that I landed safely Yesterday. There was absolutely no hassle either during transit or post landing.

On my query above, I checked with the officer for two points as follows along with replies;
1) My Dependent are following me in Sept and they will have a clear list of unaccompanied baggage. Is it ok if they make a declaration at that time?
response: Since your wife will have a clear understanding at that time on the matter, it is better that she make a representation at her landing. Ensure that you pre-fill the declaration document and better still if she caries a packers list with her.

2) Currently I am carrying x amount in physical currency. But I will be bringing in some more funds in future, exact amount I am not sure. Can I make a partial declaration now and then when my wife lands she makes the differential declaration.
Response: As long as the funds that she is declaring is coming in, in her name it should be fine.

Then they said welcome to canada, stay safe, bye, NEXT
Hello,

What does this mean "ensure you pre-fill the declaration document"? Which document is that? Can you please elaborate? Thanks.

kpatel1988

Star Member
Jun 16, 2020
Same here I quit my job in March, was supposed to fly 1st April but now can’t wait for things to get rolling again. Atleast if we start getting extensions or replies about how to get our extensions processed it wil be a relief knowing it’s a step forward. Can’t wait for some good news!
Seriously bro! Please let us know how it goes forward. A success with one of us is a success for all of us

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Hi,

I have 1 query. As far a I know ROCA is only for Candian citizens. I tried registering on it 2 months back but could not.
Also, how to register for VB?
Let me know if something has changed.

Thanks
I stand corrected @crackMBA and @Mutha123 ! On both counts.

ROCA: I had registered for my Mom (who is in India) and wrongly assumed it is for everyone. Wrong! I could registered only since I am Canadian Citizen
VB: Friends in law had to go back to India, hence registered with CGI Toronto for evacuation flight back in early June. Now I can see there is no longer the ask to register for flight bookings. The flight back from Vancouver to Chennai ultimately resulted in Vancouver to Bangalore via Delhi. Fixed cost of CAD $1350 all in.Anyway this forum thread is about people coming in to Canada - including my own endeavors! :)

Correcting my other post.

Edit: Think the post is old enough for the system to disallow editing!

Last edited:
Reactions: crackMBA

kabzik

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
Correct.
Does not make sense at all. What if someone gets infected just one day before or while travelling to airport and is asymptomatic.
that's why the world's healthcare professional are asking everyone to stay home/not travel/etc until this shit is over at least 99%....which may take years

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Thanks for posting the link. This makes sense now. Copying the context related to CoPR extensions:

Approved permanent resident applicants with expired or expiring documents
If you’re outside Canada
If we already approved your permanent resident application, but you can't travel to Canada before your documents expire, or your documents have already expired, don’t contact us until you’re ready to travel to Canada.

When you’re ready to travel to Canada
Use the Web form to let us know when, and the reason(s) why. The next steps will depend on your situation.

You can come to Canada and become a permanent resident now if you plan to stay and settle here. If you’re planning on coming temporarily and leaving again, you can’t do that right now unless you meet a different travel exemption. Also:

• when you arrive, you must have an acceptable plan to quarantine for 14 days in Canada, including how you will get to the place you’re staying
  • all family members included in the application should travel to Canada at the same time, if possible
  • you should have a confirmed travel plan (for example, plane tickets) or you must be willing to book and confirm travel plans as soon as approved

DC888

Star Member
May 22, 2020
Thanks for posting the link. This makes sense now. Copying the context related to CoPR extensions:

Approved permanent resident applicants with expired or expiring documents
If you’re outside Canada
If we already approved your permanent resident application, but you can't travel to Canada before your documents expire, or your documents have already expired, don’t contact us until you’re ready to travel to Canada.

When you’re ready to travel to Canada
Use the Web form to let us know when, and the reason(s) why. The next steps will depend on your situation.

You can come to Canada and become a permanent resident now if you plan to stay and settle here. If you’re planning on coming temporarily and leaving again, you can’t do that right now unless you meet a different travel exemption. Also:

• when you arrive, you must have an acceptable plan to quarantine for 14 days in Canada, including how you will get to the place you’re staying
  • all family members included in the application should travel to Canada at the same time, if possible
  • you should have a confirmed travel plan (for example, plane tickets) or you must be willing to book and confirm travel plans as soon as approved
Oh no! I booked my flights and accommodation 2 days ago after trying for weeks to get clarification on this. I sent a webform informing ircc that we would be in Canada initially for 3 weeks. I got a generic response saying we were exempt and made no mention of temporary stays.

Really don't know what to do now. I want to go because of the issues it could cause not going. But I also want to be honest and stick to the guidance. How are they going to check if you are there to settle or not? :(

Reactions: BillyWescott

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Oh no! I booked my flights and accommodation 2 days ago after trying for weeks to get clarification on this. I sent a webform informing ircc that we would be in Canada initially for 3 weeks. I got a generic response saying we were exempt and made no mention of temporary stays.

Really don't know what to do now. I want to go because of the issues it could cause not going. But I also want to be honest and stick to the guidance. How are they going to check if you are there to settle or not? :(
Since you have already booked your flight and accommodation before knowing this fact then I think you can better justify your stand of travelling for 3 weeks to officer if asked. When are you travelling? I believe you should search for some threads where people are sharing their landing experience close to your travel date.

DC888

Star Member
May 22, 2020
Since you have already booked your flight and accommodation before knowing this fact then I think you can better justify your stand of travelling for 3 weeks to officer if asked. When are you travelling? I believe you should search for some threads where people are sharing their landing experience close to your travel date.
Ok, that makes me feel a little better, thanks. Travelling at the start of August - I'll be sure to do that. Hopefully those restrictions will be lifted by then (and things start improving in general, everywhere).

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Guys, don't know when the website was updated with this, but the travel restrictions now clearly state that soft landing is not allowed at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: pumpkin_latte

Mutha123

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
My interpretation:

1) Landing and coming back on the same day / next day without quarantine - Ruled out

2) Going with return tickets after 14 days - almost ruled out. But what if you tell them upfront that you would return after 14 days when asked? I guess, they might not sign our COPR but still we need to spend 14 days at our cost.

What if we go there without return ticket , book it during our quarantine period and return after 14 days. Nobody can stop us however, it is against the spirit irrespective of any consequences.

3) We go there, spend time after quarantine period, complete all formalities like SIN, Banking, health card etc, assess job market. If there is a compelling personal reason or we dont find job even for survival, it makes sense to return after a month or so.

In my view, people to need to tell IRCC ready for travel if they can fulfill option 3, which is a safe bet at this point.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
In any case, anyone with a COPR which was issued after March 18 won't be able to land according to the restrictions, they've been clear that this has not been updated.

I'm wondering if anybody has tried and successfulyl landing with a COPR dated after March 18.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZOYAMAN13

Mutha123

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
Option 2). If they don't sign COPR how do you stay in Canada legally?
If they sign , it is well and good. But in spite of clear official instruction on not allowing short stay, it is risky to go there unless we have plans to stay beyond quarantine period.

gmehta

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
Anyone with any experience of having booked tickets with KLM for traveling to Canada? We were booked for KLM for April but of course we couldn't. We had called them and they are running repat flights but said no to COPRs. Anyone else has any info about their flights or refund policy? Seriously hope they resume flights to Canada and I don't have to shell out more money for another flight!

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
US folks aren't bound by the March 18 restrictions
Are you sure about that? Is that written on the website?

Does the soft landing as a PR not apply to people coming from the U.S?

I landed a while ago, i'm a bit out of touch with who's getting let in nowadays.