+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
What do you mean they cannot deny PR?
You might be allowed you to enter Canada but you might be issued PR card once conditions are satisfied. This already happened to one guy in this thread where he mentioned officer that he gonna quarantine in Montreal at his friend's place before moving to his final destination. This seemed as a red flag to officer therefore he granted him the entry but did not note his address for PR card. He told him to do that online after leaving Quebec as he did not apply under QSW program for his PR.

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
The amount of cases which can be filled against IRCC will be huge, there is no way that some copr (traveled before pandemic) are allowed to get a PR while others whose copr expired and were not able to travel, are denied !!, the e mail from IRCC clearly mentions that your application will not be denied !! Its just a matter of time.
Hey man thanks for your response. I remember I received an email from IRCC stating that they wouldn't deny PR to CoPR holders, but I can't find it anymore. Can you copy paste what it exactly says?

Thanks

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
You might be allowed you to enter Canada but you might be issued PR card once conditions are satisfied. This already happened to one guy in this thread where he mentioned officer that he gonna quarantine in Montreal at his friend's place before moving to his final destination. This seemed as a red flag to officer therefore he granted him the entry but did not note his address for PR card. He told him to do that online after leaving Quebec as he did not apply under QSW program for his PR.
What about if your CoPR expired and you were technically able to travel (no travel ban or lockdown in home country), but unwilling to travel for health reasons + because there are too many uncertainties right now to properly plan an international relocation?

Can they tell you that your right to obtain the PR was forfeited by you by not showing up within the CoPR deadline?

BS85

Star Member
Jun 6, 2020
Hey man thanks for your response. I remember I received an email from IRCC stating that they wouldn't deny PR to CoPR holders, but I can't find it anymore. Can you copy paste what it exactly says?

Thanks
UN MESSAGE EN FRANÇAIS SUIVRA.

Good day,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

The Government of Canada is closely monitoring the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and any impacts on IRCC clients.

We have forwarded your request to extend the duration within which you can confirm your status as a permanent resident to the responsible office. Please be assured that your application will not be refused if you are unable or unwilling to travel as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

If the situation is resolved and you are able to travel within the existing validity of your documents, you may do so. Otherwise, once you and, if applicable, your family members are able to travel, please notify us by using the IRCC Web form. At that time, you will be provided with further instructions.

For more information on the situation and to receive up-to-date information, we invite you to verify our website.

Sincerely,

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html

Reactions: BillyWescott

mr1989

Dec 23, 2019
Has anyone received a new COPR after declaring "Ready to Travel" during this pandemic when the original COPR was expired ? How much time they took to reissue ? If not what are your views on how much time will they take ?

dashing_warrior

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019
if you already have/had copr there is no way you can be denied PR, unless you are involved in criminal activities !!
Unfortunately, you are wrong.

Of course, your PR application will not be denied due to your inability to travel at this time due to COVID-19. Hence you may land in Canada once you are issued a new COPR.

However, you should always bear in mind that are not a Permanent Resident until you land in Canada and an immigration officer signs your CoPR. Hence you may be denied entry if you do not satisfy some of the prerequisites of the immigration programme you have applied for e.g. PNP or FSW. This happens very rarely, but it does happen, especially in cases when:

- you are a PNP candidate and the officer is not convinced that you intend to settle in the province that has nominated you;
- you are an FSW candidate and the officer is not convinced that you do NOT intend to settle in Quebec.

The last bit is not COVID-19 related and may happen to anyone who is not careful. So just do your research and be prepared.

Reactions: Captain789

BS85

Star Member
Jun 6, 2020
Unfortunately, you are wrong.

Of course, your PR application will not be denied due to your inability to travel at this time due to COVID-19. Hence you may land in Canada once you are issued a new COPR.

However, you should always bear in mind that are not a Permanent Resident until you land in Canada and an immigration officer signs your CoPR. Hence you may be denied entry if you do not satisfy some of the prerequisites of the immigration programme you have applied for e.g. PNP or FSW. This happens very rarely, but it does happen, especially in cases when:

- you are a PNP candidate and the officer is not convinced that you intend to settle in the province that has nominated you;
- you are an FSW candidate and the officer is not convinced that you do NOT intend to settle in Quebec.

The last bit is not COVID-19 related and may happen to anyone who is not careful. So just do your research and be prepared.
You have already responded your self to my comments, we are only talking about covid related delays !!!

dashing_warrior

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019
You have already responded your self to my comments, we are only talking about covid related delays !!!
Jeez, if @swack60 shows a job offer in Quebec (=intent to move there post landing) as evidence to his readiness for settling in Canada when his COPR is extended, covid or not, he may be denied processing of his COPR at the canadian border.

How can you not understand?

swack60

May 20, 2019
Don’t submit your Quebec letter of employment under any circumstances, you may be denied landing in Canada and your PR application will be refused. I’m not joking.
I am afraid you are right, it might cause more harm than doing good. I have decided not to use the letter of employment as supporting to my readiness to travel.
But I am wondering-- once I land and activate my PR (with non-Quebec address), should there be any concern if I move to Quebec, once the quarantine is done or I have to wait till I have the PR card in my hand?

desi_me_rollin

Jun 1, 2017
I am afraid you are right, it might cause more harm than doing good. I have decided not to use the letter of employment as supporting to my readiness to travel.
But I am wondering-- once I land and activate my PR (with non-Quebec address), should there be any concern if I move to Quebec, once the quarantine is done or I have to wait till I have the PR card in my hand?
Once you land, you are a permanent resident (with or without the card). You then have a right to live and work anywhere in Canada. So you can yes, go and wait for your card. I would give them non-Quebec address during landing as well for PR. Do not give a Quebec one.

Just do not even hint that you are planning to do this during the landing process since you are only declared a permanent resident after the final form signing etc at the airport. Until then, you do not have any residency rights.

swack60

May 20, 2019
dashing_warrior said:
Don’t submit your Quebec letter of employment under any circumstances, you will be denied landing in Canada and your PR application will be refused. I’m not joking.
if you already have/had copr there is no way you can be denied PR, unless you are involved in criminal activities !!
I am not willing to take the chance, have decided not to use the letter of employment from Quebec to accelerate the CoPR extension.

swack60

May 20, 2019
Once you land, you are a permanent resident (with or without the card). You then have a right to live and work anywhere in Canada. So you can yes, go and wait for your card. I would give them non-Quebec address during landing as well for PR. Do not give a Quebec one.

Just do not even hint that you are planning to do this during the landing process since you are only declared a permanent resident after the final form signing etc at the airport. Until then, you do not have any residency rights.
Thank you so much! I was thinking the same-- much needed to hear it from someone else to ease of mind .