+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Linobmw2000

Star Member
Jun 22, 2017
Hello everyone,

My family and I got our COPR last year October 2019, we were unable to travel as our kid was born on the 25th December 2019. We then waited a few weeks, got his passport & sent all documents to our local visa office. That was in early March & unfortunately they didn't reply & then the lock-down came. So all documentation is still there & we would also now have to return our original COPR's because of the new addition to the family. So now we have to wait for the local visa office to open. So even though we are allowed to leave as our Visa's were approved We can only hope that it opens soon

DR007

Aug 27, 2018
I have experienced that Airbnb hosts are not willing to rent their apartments to newcomers for quarantine purpose..Anybody with similar experience?

Yiyang

Nov 9, 2019
I have experienced that Airbnb hosts are not willing to rent their apartments to newcomers for quarantine purpose..Anybody with similar experience?
I think that's understandable even we are feeling extremely uncomfortable. The house is their private property, the owner has the right to do anything with it. Just change another one mate, don't think too much. Stay safe and moving is the priority for our new immigrants. Good luck!

DR007

Aug 27, 2018
I think that's understandable even we are feeling extremely uncomfortable. The house is their private property, the owner has the right to do anything with it. Just change another one mate, don't think too much. Stay safe and moving is the priority for our new immigrants. Good luck!
You sound like the owner! Good luck to you!!!

Reactions: CountessO

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Hello Everyone,

My COPR is expiring on 21st July,2020.Since there is no confirmation from the IRCC about the extension so far, there is no surety when would we be able to land in Canada. I belong to IT field which is considered a regulated occupation in Canada, and requires an ISP certification. So I obtained the certification when I was applying for the ITA. Now at this point in time , the CIPS is again asking me to get my membership renewed, which costs around CAD 350.So my question is, should this certification be renewed now? Will this certificate serve any purpose in Job search? If I do not get it renewed, will there be any impact on my COPR?
IT is not a regulated profession. There is freedom for all corporations to select an appoint candidates without any specific government imposed restrictions or specific qualifications (imposed as a policy from Government or Regulatory body). Examples of regulated professions in Canada include areas such as doctors, nurses, dentists, Real Estate agents (sales people), brokers, electricians, truck or bus drivers and many more. These regulatory bodies are Provincial (i.e. differs by the Province).

But IT is not one such profession.

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Yes, I have been facing the same issue since April. Only options are you need to rent the whole apartment.

I contacted BC government(I'm landing in Vancouver) regarding this and asked them whether a newcomer can qualify for their government accommodation for quarantine purposes. They replied I need to check with CBSA since these accommodations are for returning BC residents, so they are not sure a newcomer with no history will be eligible.

An alternative they suggested is to check with local hotels. Many of these hotels are allowing visitors (both returning Canadian residents and newcomers) to book their rooms for quarantine purposes. These hotels are located close to grocery stores, drug stores, shops and restaurants so you can have everything ordered to the reception and they will leave it outside the door.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Yes, I have been facing the same issue since April. Only options are you need to rent the whole apartment.

I contacted BC government(I'm landing in Vancouver) regarding this and asked them whether a newcomer can qualify for their government accommodation for quarantine purposes. They replied I need to check with CBSA since these accommodations are for returning BC residents, so they are not sure a newcomer with no history will be eligible.

An alternative they suggested is to check with local hotels. Many of these hotels are allowing visitors (both returning Canadian residents and newcomers) to book their rooms for quarantine purposes. These hotels are located close to grocery stores, drug stores, shops and restaurants so you can have everything ordered to the reception and they will leave it outside the door.
The guidance in this link implies should not travel to a Canada without an isolation plan

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#quarantine

Kayne

Apr 5, 2019
Canada
May 9-15 should be safe to travel. Even I have booked to leave on May 20 :)
Hey SithLord, haven't been on this site in a while. Just logged in and discovered that you got your COPR way ahead of schedule. So so happy for you. I'm sure the moment you received it must have felt surreal and tears of joy might have been shed for the torment and moments of anguish you had to go through for years to receive that much, much coveted piece of document.

I know that unfortunately the Corona Virus happened and now the twilight of the whole journey is further postponed. But no one can take this away from you now. When you finally land, the Journey and struggle will continue. But with the fighting spirit and determination you have shown throughout this process, know that the future will be bright. Big Congrats Bro :)

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Yes one must not travel without an isolation plan. I was told the same. Since I was struggling to find proper accommodation through airbnb, I was suggested to contact some local hotels directly. Hotels are not making much business now so they are accepting visitors to quarantine in their rooms. You can still order food and all other essentials to your room. They will be collected by reception and placed outside your door. This is accepted as a valid isolation plan.

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Hey SithLord, haven't been on this site in a while. Just logged in and discovered that you got your COPR way ahead of schedule. So so happy for you. I'm sure the moment you received it must have felt surreal and tears of joy might have been shed for the torment and moments of anguish you had to go through for years to receive that much, much coveted piece of document.

I know that unfortunately the Corona Virus happened and now the twilight of the whole journey is further postponed. But no one can take this away from you now. When you finally land, the Journey and struggle will continue. But with the fighting spirit and determination you have shown throughout this process, know that the future will be bright. Big Congrats Bro :)
Don't think I would made it this far without your support!! Thank you!!!