+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
This news is there on twitter today.This shows Canada has started making preparations for international travel.

"The Government of Canada is taking a phased approach to implementing temperature screening.

• Phase 1: By June 30, 2020, all air operators will be required to conduct temperature screenings of all passengers travelling to Canada prior to departure from international or transborder points of departure.
  • Phase 2: By the end of July, temperature screening stations will be placed in the departure section of the four major airports that are currently identified as the only Canadian airports for international travel (Montréal, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver).
  • Phase 3: By September 2020, temperature screening stations will be in place in the departure sections of the next 11 busiest airports in Canada (St. John’s, Halifax, Québec City, Ottawa, Toronto – Billy Bishop, Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Kelowna, Victoria).
Offocial link below which if a poster can do so and is an official site they should post as opposed to cut/paste . It just shows the information is genuine

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/06/temperature-screening-to-be-required-for-travellers-at-canadian-airports.html

Reactions: Canaspirant xyz

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
I read on Facebook groups that International students (with study permits issued before 18th of March) were denied boarding. Air India and border control referred to Canada not letting them in, but it is not true, isn't it? Canada allowed International students as far as I know.
It will be a relief, if my University allows me on-line studies, as I will save money on rentals in Canada, because renting in my country is waaaaay cheaper :)
Even I saw on twitter that students were denied boarding.

RitzzG

Jun 24, 2019
Hi everyone,
I’m sharing this in case it helps any of you. VERY LONG POST.

COPR issue date: Early march
Landing date: apr 12 2020
Landing location: by land, through Sault Ste Marie, ON.
US status: H1B and H4

Details on landing:
We called the border several times to ask if we could cross, we got mixed responses but during the last one, around a week before we landed, a very helpful agent transferred us to the superintendent. He asked us a lot of questions about why we needed to travel at that time. We got ‘lucky’ because we had an urgent personal reason to travel to Canada. He made an appointment for us to land so he could make sure there was an immigration agent. This might me specific to this site, as it might not get as much traffic as other sites around Detroit, NewYork, etc.
We crossed early and waited for over two hours even though there was no one else there. They checked our CoPRs, passports,asked us about funds available, asked for address for quarantine (airbnb), and our lists of goods accompanying/to-follow. They made us recite an acknowledgment that we were to follow the strict quarantine requirements. We actually got several emails during the quarantine period reminding us. After that we finished our trip to Toronto.
Once we got there we returned our rental car at the airport and took an uber to the airbnb. We used instacart for groceries, plus some dry goods we brought from the US. We opened our accounts with RBC by phone, but had to take our CoPRs to the branch after the quarantine to finalize the process. During the quarantine period we used condos.ca to find an apartment and we signed everything electronically. We only got photos and a video, so it’s always a risk if you don’t see the place, but fortunately it went well.
For SIN: we used the condo lease agreement as proof of address and applied online. We got them about a month later by mail to our leased condo.

The biggest advantage we had is that throughout all this period I have continued to work for my US employer. They agreed to transfer me permanently to Canada, so we didn’t have income concerns.
I think the part that might be useful for others is that I actually returned to the US by plane 3 weeks after our landing. This was only in our plan, but we never mentioned it.

Details on return to US:
I had my H1B stamped on my passport, so I didn’t use AVR, but I don’t think that would have been a problem. I flew Toronto-Detroit-Msp and as usual did immigration at Toronto airport. The agent asked why I was going to the US, I said that I worked there, so he asked for my employer details. He asked me why I was in Canada, and I said that I got my PR approved. I tried to be as concise as possible without giving too much info. He was very nice and calmed, he was actually chatting with a neighboring agent. After that I was done and proceded to my flights. The reason I was going back was beyond just work, I needed to get the rest of our things out of storage and return our leased apt.
After 2-weeks in the US (non mandatory quarantine) I returned to Canada by land once again, I followed the same route through Sault Ste Marie. This time I didnt call ahead, because I was already a PR. I just got there and the border agent asked me why I was coming to Canada. I told him that I was a landed PR and was just returning home. Again, being concise and answering just what I was asked. I only provided CoPR and passport. This time I provided my updated address and Canadian cell phone number. During this final quarantine period of 2 weeks, I was actually called by the federal government, the Ontario government, and sent multiples emails. They asked me about whether I was still maintaining my quarantine and reminding me of the regulation. They also thanked me for helping control the spread of COVID. I imagine the first time we landed they only emailed us and didn’t call u because we had provided US numbers. But they are definitely keeping tabs of everyone coming in.
After my final quarantine was over we went to ServiceOntario College Park to get driver license (exchange from US license) and health card. We got both numbers immediately, but will get our physical license in around 4-8 weeks, and the health card they said could take longer. However we can use the paper they gave us with the number on it. We used our lease agreement as proof of address.

I know this was very long, but hopefully it is helpful.

Let me know if you have questions, I’ll try to answer as I can.
Many congrats for becoming PR!

This post is really helpful as I am planning to follow the similar process but was skeptical on a couple of things but your post is really helpful in answering that.

I plan to fly to Canada to do soft landing in 2 weeks for now(Jul 9th visa expiration date), however, I was concerned about problems that I might face upon returning to US, considering all the speculations going around visa or entry ban. It is somewhat reassuring to read that you did not face any hassles there. This makes me more confident to go for the soft landing now as opposed to shifting now permanently, which I am not inclined to do so before Jul9th. I will appreciate if you could answer my follow up questions:

1. Do you think traveling by road with signed CoPR next time I plan to move there permanently should be a more straightforward process(easier to explain to border agents) in comparison to crossing border for the first time? I am just thinking of any potential issues that may arise with every step involved in this entire process.
2. I too plan to stay a week extra beyond quarantine period on my first visit to complete any tasks if I could. Opening a bank account seems to be possible within 3 weeks(mandatory 2 + 1 extra week). SIN cannot be done without lease agreement so taking it out of the list. Anything else that you would like to recommend?
3. What all documents did you specifically carry for the US immigration? All those which we generally acquire for H1B stamping?

Thanks in advance!

CA98712

Dec 9, 2017
Singapore
Category........
PNP
Hi everyone,
I’m sharing this in case it helps any of you. VERY LONG POST.

COPR issue date: Early march
Landing date: apr 12 2020
Landing location: by land, through Sault Ste Marie, ON.
US status: H1B and H4

Details on landing:
We called the border several times to ask if we could cross, we got mixed responses but during the last one, around a week before we landed, a very helpful agent transferred us to the superintendent. He asked us a lot of questions about why we needed to travel at that time. We got ‘lucky’ because we had an urgent personal reason to travel to Canada. He made an appointment for us to land so he could make sure there was an immigration agent. This might me specific to this site, as it might not get as much traffic as other sites around Detroit, NewYork, etc.
We crossed early and waited for over two hours even though there was no one else there. They checked our CoPRs, passports,asked us about funds available, asked for address for quarantine (airbnb), and our lists of goods accompanying/to-follow. They made us recite an acknowledgment that we were to follow the strict quarantine requirements. We actually got several emails during the quarantine period reminding us. After that we finished our trip to Toronto.
Once we got there we returned our rental car at the airport and took an uber to the airbnb. We used instacart for groceries, plus some dry goods we brought from the US. We opened our accounts with RBC by phone, but had to take our CoPRs to the branch after the quarantine to finalize the process. During the quarantine period we used condos.ca to find an apartment and we signed everything electronically. We only got photos and a video, so it’s always a risk if you don’t see the place, but fortunately it went well.
For SIN: we used the condo lease agreement as proof of address and applied online. We got them about a month later by mail to our leased condo.

The biggest advantage we had is that throughout all this period I have continued to work for my US employer. They agreed to transfer me permanently to Canada, so we didn’t have income concerns.
I think the part that might be useful for others is that I actually returned to the US by plane 3 weeks after our landing. This was only in our plan, but we never mentioned it.

Details on return to US:
I had my H1B stamped on my passport, so I didn’t use AVR, but I don’t think that would have been a problem. I flew Toronto-Detroit-Msp and as usual did immigration at Toronto airport. The agent asked why I was going to the US, I said that I worked there, so he asked for my employer details. He asked me why I was in Canada, and I said that I got my PR approved. I tried to be as concise as possible without giving too much info. He was very nice and calmed, he was actually chatting with a neighboring agent. After that I was done and proceded to my flights. The reason I was going back was beyond just work, I needed to get the rest of our things out of storage and return our leased apt.
After 2-weeks in the US (non mandatory quarantine) I returned to Canada by land once again, I followed the same route through Sault Ste Marie. This time I didnt call ahead, because I was already a PR. I just got there and the border agent asked me why I was coming to Canada. I told him that I was a landed PR and was just returning home. Again, being concise and answering just what I was asked. I only provided CoPR and passport. This time I provided my updated address and Canadian cell phone number. During this final quarantine period of 2 weeks, I was actually called by the federal government, the Ontario government, and sent multiples emails. They asked me about whether I was still maintaining my quarantine and reminding me of the regulation. They also thanked me for helping control the spread of COVID. I imagine the first time we landed they only emailed us and didn’t call u because we had provided US numbers. But they are definitely keeping tabs of everyone coming in.
After my final quarantine was over we went to ServiceOntario College Park to get driver license (exchange from US license) and health card. We got both numbers immediately, but will get our physical license in around 4-8 weeks, and the health card they said could take longer. However we can use the paper they gave us with the number on it. We used our lease agreement as proof of address.

I know this was very long, but hopefully it is helpful.

Let me know if you have questions, I’ll try to answer as I can.
Thanks for sharign these details.

I have one question here, how you re-enter in Canada without your PR card second time.
I think PR card is required as visa is only for one time entry they will give while providing COPR.
can you explain little bit more about your second entry in Canda and PR card.

y2kunal

Star Member
Jul 3, 2018
Category........
FSW

I have one question here, how you re-enter in Canada without your PR card second time.
I think PR card is required as visa is only for one time entry they will give while providing COPR.
If your PR card isn’t ready before you leave Canada or if you’re outside Canada without a valid PR card, you need to apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD). You can only apply for a PTRD from outside Canada.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/permanent-residents.html#leavecanada

These 23 VAC will be open with limited services as per CIC news.
Link
Thanks for sharing that. Here I found the official link
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/vac-limited-services.html

Reactions: Molino de Viente

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

Others can comment as well but it is a generally accepted process when travelling across the land border to show COPR and passport to indicate you are a PR if you do not have a PR card in hand at the time. This is generally acceptable pending receipt of a PR card or a PRTD subject of course continuing to meet any essential travel requirements that might in place at the time. A previously landed COPR can only be shown for land travel, to travel by air you need either a valid PR card or a PRTD.

Reactions: hinavin

mrr2019

Nov 7, 2019
United States
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
12-07-2019
Med's Done....
08-08-2019
Many congrats for becoming PR!

This post is really helpful as I am planning to follow the similar process but was skeptical on a couple of things but your post is really helpful in answering that.

I plan to fly to Canada to do soft landing in 2 weeks for now(Jul 9th visa expiration date), however, I was concerned about problems that I might face upon returning to US, considering all the speculations going around visa or entry ban. It is somewhat reassuring to read that you did not face any hassles there. This makes me more confident to go for the soft landing now as opposed to shifting now permanently, which I am not inclined to do so before Jul9th. I will appreciate if you could answer my follow up questions:

1. Do you think traveling by road with signed CoPR next time I plan to move there permanently should be a more straightforward process(easier to explain to border agents) in comparison to crossing border for the first time? I am just thinking of any potential issues that may arise with every step involved in this entire process.
2. I too plan to stay a week extra beyond quarantine period on my first visit to complete any tasks if I could. Opening a bank account seems to be possible within 3 weeks(mandatory 2 + 1 extra week). SIN cannot be done without lease agreement so taking it out of the list. Anything else that you would like to recommend?
3. What all documents did you specifically carry for the US immigration? All those which we generally acquire for H1B stamping?

Thanks in advance!
Hi, glad it helps!

1) yes, once you are PR it is easier to say that you are just returning home. This is just my opinion based on my experience.
2) you can apply for SIN online with any valid proof of address, but it will take around a month, so you need an address that is not just temporary or is safe for it to arrive.
3) i generally carry my approved H1B notification, even though I have a stamped visa. I always carry recent pay stubs and, if I can, an employer letter. I was not asked for any of this, but it may be because I had already entered the US on H1B before and it might have been in their system.

mrr2019

Nov 7, 2019
United States
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
12-07-2019
Med's Done....
08-08-2019

PR card or PRTD is only required if you travel by plane or by land on a commercial vehicle. See the link below, and I also got this confirmed by the immigration agent when I first landed. I reentered with just the signed/stamped CoPR from first landing and my passport. I’m not sure if it can be used multiple times or frequently.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10

y2kunal

Star Member
Jul 3, 2018
Category........
FSW
Landed in Toronto this morning Via VB flights. (Mumbai-Delhi-Toronto).
COPR expiry: Mid july

Flights were full.(Both domestic,International)
Immigration went smooth with general questions/documents regarding proof of funds, any criminal background,
where I am planning to stay,family background)
Stamped goods to follow list and went straight to accommodation.

They casually asked us to isolate for 14 days, didn't take any address. Haven't applied for SIN yet.

I was given a separate form for address change notification to CIC for PR card delivery.Since I didn't have a permanent address he asked to notify CIC when I do have it,so the card could be delivered to that address.
Process can be done online.
Can you (or anybody here) please share an example of what documents can be asked for or shown for proof of funds and criminal background to the border officer?

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019
Can you (or anybody here) please share an example of what documents can be asked for or shown for proof of funds and criminal background to the border officer?
Generally a bank statement taken a week before you fly can be evidence enough of proof of funds. If you want you can request a Letter from Bank manager stating xxxx amount of fund are there in your account .... In case of family these funds should be in principle applicants account.

For criminality, immigration officer is asking if you had any criminal activity after COPR and before landing (atleast that is what he asked in my friend's case who landed in March).

Here's the offical link for documents you need to carry.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/prepare-life-canada/border-entry.html

Reactions: y2kunal and dn3