+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

DIJ2

Mar 21, 2020
Hi Everyone. Quick couple of questions:

1) Is the US-Canada road border via Detroit-Windsor currently open for people who have COPR and would be landing soon in Canada. I would be working in Detroit and driving to Canada every evening from July end.

2) Secondly, I am planning to make the initial landing with my COPR via road by end of July. I have heard when you want to come back again to Canada, you need a physical PR card to come back to Canada(which can take 2 months defeating the purpose), or get a PRTD(not sure how that works).

Is that true? Or can people who drive everyday from US-Canada border drive with 'NO' PR card yet(since card will take 2 months to come after July landing) drive 'ONLY' with COPR in hand?

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Hi Everyone. Quick couple of questions:

1) Is the US-Canada road border via Detroit-Windsor currently open for people who have COPR and would be landing soon in Canada. I would be working in Detroit and driving to Canada every evening from July end.

2) Secondly, I am planning to make the initial landing with my COPR via road by end of July. I have heard when you want to come back again to Canada, you need a physical PR card to come back to Canada(which can take 2 months defeating the purpose), or get a PRTD(not sure how that works).

Is that true? Or can people who drive everyday from US-Canada border drive with 'NO' PR card yet(since card will take 2 months to come after July landing) drive 'ONLY' with COPR in hand?

For (2) - We need passport with Visa or for PRs the PR Card. Mandatory. No chance of drive in without one from USA or anywhere else. Same for entering by road.

Best wishes!

mrr2019

Nov 7, 2019
United States
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
12-07-2019
Med's Done....
08-08-2019
Hi everyone,
I’m sharing this in case it helps any of you. VERY LONG POST.

COPR issue date: Early march
Landing date: apr 12 2020
Landing location: by land, through Sault Ste Marie, ON.
US status: H1B and H4

Details on landing:
We called the border several times to ask if we could cross, we got mixed responses but during the last one, around a week before we landed, a very helpful agent transferred us to the superintendent. He asked us a lot of questions about why we needed to travel at that time. We got ‘lucky’ because we had an urgent personal reason to travel to Canada. He made an appointment for us to land so he could make sure there was an immigration agent. This might me specific to this site, as it might not get as much traffic as other sites around Detroit, NewYork, etc.
We crossed early and waited for over two hours even though there was no one else there. They checked our CoPRs, passports,asked us about funds available, asked for address for quarantine (airbnb), and our lists of goods accompanying/to-follow. They made us recite an acknowledgment that we were to follow the strict quarantine requirements. We actually got several emails during the quarantine period reminding us. After that we finished our trip to Toronto.
Once we got there we returned our rental car at the airport and took an uber to the airbnb. We used instacart for groceries, plus some dry goods we brought from the US. We opened our accounts with RBC by phone, but had to take our CoPRs to the branch after the quarantine to finalize the process. During the quarantine period we used condos.ca to find an apartment and we signed everything electronically. We only got photos and a video, so it’s always a risk if you don’t see the place, but fortunately it went well.
For SIN: we used the condo lease agreement as proof of address and applied online. We got them about a month later by mail to our leased condo.

The biggest advantage we had is that throughout all this period I have continued to work for my US employer. They agreed to transfer me permanently to Canada, so we didn’t have income concerns.
I think the part that might be useful for others is that I actually returned to the US by plane 3 weeks after our landing. This was only in our plan, but we never mentioned it.

Details on return to US:
I had my H1B stamped on my passport, so I didn’t use AVR, but I don’t think that would have been a problem. I flew Toronto-Detroit-Msp and as usual did immigration at Toronto airport. The agent asked why I was going to the US, I said that I worked there, so he asked for my employer details. He asked me why I was in Canada, and I said that I got my PR approved. I tried to be as concise as possible without giving too much info. He was very nice and calmed, he was actually chatting with a neighboring agent. After that I was done and proceded to my flights. The reason I was going back was beyond just work, I needed to get the rest of our things out of storage and return our leased apt.
After 2-weeks in the US (non mandatory quarantine) I returned to Canada by land once again, I followed the same route through Sault Ste Marie. This time I didnt call ahead, because I was already a PR. I just got there and the border agent asked me why I was coming to Canada. I told him that I was a landed PR and was just returning home. Again, being concise and answering just what I was asked. I only provided CoPR and passport. This time I provided my updated address and Canadian cell phone number. During this final quarantine period of 2 weeks, I was actually called by the federal government, the Ontario government, and sent multiples emails. They asked me about whether I was still maintaining my quarantine and reminding me of the regulation. They also thanked me for helping control the spread of COVID. I imagine the first time we landed they only emailed us and didn’t call u because we had provided US numbers. But they are definitely keeping tabs of everyone coming in.
After my final quarantine was over we went to ServiceOntario College Park to get driver license (exchange from US license) and health card. We got both numbers immediately, but will get our physical license in around 4-8 weeks, and the health card they said could take longer. However we can use the paper they gave us with the number on it. We used our lease agreement as proof of address.

I know this was very long, but hopefully it is helpful.

Let me know if you have questions, I’ll try to answer as I can.

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Oh, no. If we have to redo medicals, it will be even longer. I only hope my University will allow distance learning for first semester (they barely do that for engineering programs).
As far as I know all univ in Canada will be taking classes online till December.So that shouldn't be a problem.The only issue will be of fee . Though I hope we will be able to land by October.My travel agent told that India has given green flag to International flights but they are waiting for approval from receiving countries.Given the rapidly increasing no of cases here we might not get approval soon.But by July end or Aug they might start.

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
This news is there on twitter today.This shows Canada has started making preparations for international travel.

"The Government of Canada is taking a phased approach to implementing temperature screening.

• Phase 1: By June 30, 2020, all air operators will be required to conduct temperature screenings of all passengers travelling to Canada prior to departure from international or transborder points of departure.
  • Phase 2: By the end of July, temperature screening stations will be placed in the departure section of the four major airports that are currently identified as the only Canadian airports for international travel (Montréal, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver).
  • Phase 3: By September 2020, temperature screening stations will be in place in the departure sections of the next 11 busiest airports in Canada (St. John’s, Halifax, Québec City, Ottawa, Toronto – Billy Bishop, Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Kelowna, Victoria).

Molino de Viente

Star Member
Aug 16, 2018
Kazakhstan
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26/04/2019
Med's Done....
06/06/2019
Passport Req..
31/10/2019
As far as I know all univ in Canada will be taking classes online till December.So that shouldn't be a problem.The only issue will be of fee . Though I hope we will be able to land by October.My travel agent told that India has given green flag to International flights but they are waiting for approval from receiving countries.Given the rapidly increasing no of cases here we might not get approval soon.But by July end or Aug they might start.
I read on Facebook groups that International students (with study permits issued before 18th of March) were denied boarding. Air India and border control referred to Canada not letting them in, but it is not true, isn't it? Canada allowed International students as far as I know.
It will be a relief, if my University allows me on-line studies, as I will save money on rentals in Canada, because renting in my country is waaaaay cheaper :)

Reactions: Canaspirant xyz

Sidd1988can

Star Member
Jul 27, 2019
This news is there on twitter today.This shows Canada has started making preparations for international travel.

"The Government of Canada is taking a phased approach to implementing temperature screening.

• Phase 1: By June 30, 2020, all air operators will be required to conduct temperature screenings of all passengers travelling to Canada prior to departure from international or transborder points of departure.
  • Phase 2: By the end of July, temperature screening stations will be placed in the departure section of the four major airports that are currently identified as the only Canadian airports for international travel (Montréal, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver).
  • Phase 3: By September 2020, temperature screening stations will be in place in the departure sections of the next 11 busiest airports in Canada (St. John’s, Halifax, Québec City, Ottawa, Toronto – Billy Bishop, Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Kelowna, Victoria).
Which twitter handle is this?

rex230

Dec 9, 2019
Landed in Toronto this morning Via VB flights. (Mumbai-Delhi-Toronto).
COPR expiry: Mid july

Flights were full.(Both domestic,International)
Immigration went smooth with general questions/documents regarding proof of funds, any criminal background,
where I am planning to stay,family background)
Stamped goods to follow list and went straight to accommodation.

They casually asked us to isolate for 14 days, didn't take any address. Haven't applied for SIN yet.

I was given a separate form for address change notification to CIC for PR card delivery.Since I didn't have a permanent address he asked to notify CIC when I do have it,so the card could be delivered to that address.
Process can be done online.

Last edited: