+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hey, guys don't want to instill any panic or anything, so last week I talked to a CIC agent by phone to find out if I can extend the COPR which will expire on August 1st. Wanted to get an idea on what they suggest you do if you want to extend your COPR because of all the COVID thing going on. Basically I told him that due to the Pandemic I am reluctant to travel from the US to Canada before my COPR expires. Here is the transcript from our conversation, it seems like they may or may not extend the COPR. It depends on the officer who will take a look at your files:

"Your COPR was issued on 12th February so it's before March 18th so you are exempt from the travel restriction. Now if for any reason, you are unable to come to Canada. Since you are telling me it’s a question of choice because of the COVID situation. What I would suggest is to send a webform to Immigration Canada with an explanation letter stating why you would not be able to come by the expiration date which is August 1st. Now I can’t guarantee what the answer from the officer responsible for your application will be like I said in a general manner the COPR is a document that can’t be extended so you have used it before the expiration date so you have to go through the whole application from zero. So in this case like I said if for any reason you can prove you have pertinent reasons you cannot come by the date, write an explanation letter and send it to us by a webs form. The officer that will review your request will judge if they can extend that date or not."
When I talked to CIC agent she told me not to worry and they will provide extension when situation is under control. She appreciated me for raising the webform for my inability to travel due to lockdown in my country. Your CIC agent seems to encourage you to travel prior to your expiry if you try to find the hidden meaning. If you have a valid reason for not to travel then you are OK to get an extension.

Reactions: Dia89 and hinavin

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Ok guys i just looked up the MHA guidelines for the vande Bharat flights it says "only those persons shall be allowed to travel to the destination countries who are citizens of that country; who hold visa of at least one year duration of that country; and Green Card or OCI card holder. In case of medical emergency or death in the family, Indian nationals holing six month visa can also be allowed."

My COPR expires on the 5th of July 2020. Am i eligible?
If your CoPR is issued before 18th March 2020 then you are eligible:

Please try you read the whole guidelines. Pasting it here (Source: http://www.airindia.in/images/pdf/Revised-South-korea-and-Germany-advisory-04th-June-2020-converted.pdf):

Following are permitted: Canadian citizens and permanent resident card-holders are eligible to enter Canada. Eligible travellers do not require additional permission letters Travellers who are not in one of these categories are NOT eligible to travel unless they meet travel restriction exemptions AND their travel is deemed non-optional and non-discretionary Detailed eligibility rules and criteria to enter Canada can be found at:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronaviruscovid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#exemptions

Please note that final determinations of eligibility to enter Canada are made by Canada Border Services Agency at the port of entry to Canada

Srh11

Jun 1, 2020
When I talked to CIC agent she told me not to worry and they will provide extension when situation is under control. She appreciated me for raising the webform for my inability to travel due to lockdown in my country. Your CIC agent seems to encourage you to travel prior to your expiry if you try to find the hidden meaning. If you have a valid reason for not to travel then you are OK to get an extension.
Same here had copr expiry on 28th july my flights from infiagot cancelled, should I raise webform and expect for extension or travel take the risk travel as coronavirus is rampant and can't quarantine as this is will be first landing.

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Same here had copr expiry on 28th july my flights from infiagot cancelled, should I raise webform and expect for extension or travel take the risk travel as coronavirus is rampant and can't quarantine as this is will be first landing.
I believe no one here has received CoPR with extended validity yet. All I can suggest is as per information available on IRCC website which states that if you are unwilling to travel then you are eligible for extension. Yes, you can raise a webform for extension around 2-3 weeks prior to your CoPR expiry with your flight booking and cancellation email. In the end its your decision to travel or not to travel within your current CoPR validity but just be aware that CoPR extension option is there too.

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada
28th July expiry is still far. Maybe you should wait and watch and not send a webform just yet. You might be able to fly before the expiry.

tjhunt

Feb 27, 2018
Minneapolis
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
20-04-2018
Nomination.....
30-01-2019
AOR Received.
13-03-2019
I believe no one here has received CoPR with extended validity yet. All I can suggest is as per information available on IRCC website which states that if you are unwilling to travel then you are eligible for extension. Yes, you can raise a webform for extension around 2-3 weeks prior to your CoPR expiry with your flight booking and cancellation email. In the end its your decision to travel or not to travel within your current CoPR validity but just be aware that CoPR extension option is there too.
That's what I was thinking but after talking with an agen on the phone. It seems like they MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT extend you which is worrisome.

Reactions: Moizh

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
That's what I was thinking but after talking with an agen on the phone. It seems like they MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT extend you which is worrisome.
We have received emails from IRCC stating to be patient and assurance of not getting penalized if our CoPR is expired. Some (including me) have flights booking which got cancelled and now that money is stuck with airlines for future travel. Some have left their jobs and belongings. Now after all of this I don't think why CoPR extension will not be provided. Your CIC agent has stated to write the explanation in webform why you are not able to travel or unwilling to travel for officers review. If someone comes up with some absurd reason for getting CoPR extension then it is a MIGHT NOT get an extension case.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey, guys don't want to instill any panic or anything, so last week I talked to a CIC agent by phone to find out if I can extend the COPR which will expire on August 1st. Wanted to get an idea on what they suggest you do if you want to extend your COPR because of all the COVID thing going on. Basically I told him that due to the Pandemic I am reluctant to travel from the US to Canada before my COPR expires. Here is the transcript from our conversation, it seems like they may or may not extend the COPR. It depends on the officer who will take a look at your files:

"Your COPR was issued on 12th February so it's before March 18th so you are exempt from the travel restriction. Now if for any reason, you are unable to come to Canada. Since you are telling me it’s a question of choice because of the COVID situation. What I would suggest is to send a webform to Immigration Canada with an explanation letter stating why you would not be able to come by the expiration date which is August 1st. Now I can’t guarantee what the answer from the officer responsible for your application will be like I said in a general manner the COPR is a document that can’t be extended so you have used it before the expiration date so you have to go through the whole application from zero. So in this case like I said if for any reason you can prove you have pertinent reasons you cannot come by the date, write an explanation letter and send it to us by a webs form. The officer that will review your request will judge if they can extend that date or not."
You basically spoke to a dumb agent, not a first.

ralirehmani0617

Mar 25, 2020
Hi friends

My COPR is going to expire day after tomorrow ie April 30th.i have already raised a webform on 13 th April saying that I won't be able to travel before the expiry of my COPR due to the complete lockdown in india and asked for extension.i got a generic reply as others.Do I need to raise another webform to IRCC after April 30 th saying that my COPR has expired and I didnt travel before the expiry of the COPR..Kindly provide your suggestions on this..
so far i know, you will have to wait until you are ready to travel, then you inform them on webform that you can travel now, then they would send you instructions, which I think they would ask for medical checkup again and then they will give you another deadline to land, but your application would not be rejected.

gagancanadavisa

Star Member
Mar 13, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-03-2016
Guyz.. my parents have visitor visa and then they got COPR which got expired now. My question is -
Will they be allowed to board Vande Bharat flight? Because as per IRCC's website, immediate family members of PRs (I am a PR here) are allowed to enter Canada.

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Opening of VFS offices is completely under the local administrative authorities. Yes there is no harm in raising a webform for ability to travel but trust me receiving a generic reply for it will add more frustration.
Yeah I know .But right now I am not expecting any specific reply . Anyways the web form will go to ircc Canada initially.They will send it to Delhi.It will take much time.

Reactions: Dia89

tjhunt

Feb 27, 2018
Minneapolis
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
20-04-2018
Nomination.....
30-01-2019
AOR Received.
13-03-2019
You basically spoke to a dumb agent, not a first.
That's good to know, I guess I'll send them a web form around July to let them know that I don't want to risk flying from the US.

pumpkin_latte

Oct 17, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Please let me know if you find these travel updates useful. I'm sorry if these have a Indian-bias, but it's more work for me to screen for other countries too.

Updates for 05 June 2020

1. Top government sources in India state that restart of commercial international flights from India may happen in July 2020. Link
2. Aviation Minister of India, Mr. Puri, said that domestic flights in India will increase from 33% (currently) to 55% capacity in the next week. Link Note from me: Remember, I said a few days ago that touching 60% is one factor of opening up international flights? This may be a good development.
3. Ticket prices set by Air India for flights under Vande Bharat Mission are reasonable says Puri. Link

Guyz.. my parents have visitor visa and then they got COPR which got expired now. My question is -
Will they be allowed to board Vande Bharat flight? Because as per IRCC's website, immediate family members of PRs (I am a PR here) are allowed to enter Canada.
NO, they cannot board. Nobody is allowed to board a Vande Bharat repatriation flight with an expired COPR. Only those people who have been issued COPR before March 18, 2020 and whose COPR is still valid at the time of boarding Vande Bharat flight may board.

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
When did their COPR expire ? When was the COPR issued ? Did they send a web form indicating they could not travel before expiry ?

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
I posted another thread about landing via a stopover in Toronto....should I have posted it here? My brother in law has his COPR / Visa and I'm hoping he can do a soft landing here in Canada. He'll likely have to fly to Calgary via Toronto. Would he have to quarantine in Toronto or can he do it in Calgary? How much time does it take these days to process PR in Toronto? If this is the wrong thread, please let me know. Thank you :)