+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

malikjatin

Star Member
Aug 18, 2015
@malikjatin

If you can travel before your CoPR expires, you needn't raise a webform, just travel on your existing ticket and travel date and confirm yours and families PR.

If you foresee inability or unwillingness to travel due to COVID19, raise a webform closer to the expiry date of your CoPR (in your case, I'd say by mid-June) and say so. IRCC officers will keep a note in your application that you've intimated them of your situation. Then wait for your CoPR to expire. Post expiry, when you can travel again (willing and able), raise another web form indicating so and in a few months, your application would be re-opened and IRCC would contact you regarding re-medicals (if necessary). Then you'll have to submit the passports for new COPRs and PR visas and then you'll have to arrive in Canada by the new COPR expiry dates. Please note that IRCC has not said how many months you can wait post-expiry to reapply for COPR, but it's definitely not a long period like a year. If the situation in your country is severely messed up, you have to wait for the Visa offices to open up, as well as the VFS centres before you indicate willingness to travel.

Regarding fear of COVID19, at this point there's no place to hide and this isn't going away. I may sound harsh, but trust me, I understand your situation and fear, but this is the truth. You can catch COVID anywhere; even when you run down to the corner store. Even with a vaccine, we can't be assured of lasting protection. If you all follow safety protocols, you should be as safe as could be in these scenarios. COVID will still be around when you re-plan your trip. A more pressing fear should be your economic survival in a post-COVID Canadian labour market.

Soft landing is actively dissuaded at this point. A member, nicolasf, stated that passengers from Dubai who said that they weren't planning to permanently settle in Canada weren't allowed to board the flights to Toronto.

Edit: Added link to Nicolasf's post for sake of completeness.
@pumpkin_latte Many thanks for your reply.
Hope there is no risk of losing our PR status through this???
Please reply

malikjatin

Star Member
Aug 18, 2015
Hello Friends,
I need an Urgent Help, if you can help please.
I got my COPR along with my wife and 1 year old daughter in December 2019. Medicals July 2019.
Our COPR expiring in July 2020. & we haven't flown till now for soft landing or anything. Then Covid19 happened in March, and I was really scared to travel with a kid.
So, I am really worried what will happen to my COPR? I checked CIC site, it states if you not able to travel due to Covid19, please raise web form. Don't know what is the use of that?
Can you please help me as to what is the best alternative available for me right now,
Even though Flights resume operations in July 2020, i will be scared to go on a such a long journey with a kid especially in this condition.

Can you please respond on this? I will be happy to provide any more information if you require to answer this? Thanks in advance.

I got response to above query from a senior member that I need to raise a webform for this. @pumpkin_latte

Can you guys please suggest that if there is any risk of losing PR status through this process?

pumpkin_latte

Oct 17, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
Med's Done....
08-10-2019
Passport Req..
06-01-2020
VISA ISSUED...
24-01-2020
LANDED..........
19-09-2020
Can you guys please suggest that if there is any risk of losing PR status through this process?
Sir, you really need to take a breath and RELAX.

The government of Canada is not going to strip you and your family of something you've worked hard for and earned. YOU nor your family caused the pandemic, correct? You didn't ground international flights, correct? Did you single-handedly destroy the world economy? No! You, me and everyone else here are victims of a consequence of the times. When you have legitimate reasons for not travelling, why would you be punished?

Please see this official Canadian directive to IRCC officers on how to handle requests for extensions

It says very clearly and I quote:

If the applicant informs IRCC via the web form that they are unable or unwilling to travel after the expiration of their COPR and PRV, or if they are unable or unwilling to travel prior to expiration, officers are to re-open the application, and it should be brought forward for review in 90 days.
Once the applicant informs IRCC via the web form that they are able to travel, a re-opened application may be re-approved provided that the applicant and their family members, whether accompanying or not, have valid immigration medical examinations, criminal and security checks and passports.

Other members, please like this post if my point is correct and that @malikjatin should not unduly worry.

Raghuveer

Apr 4, 2020
As per my understanding, whenever VFS office opens and commercial international flights start in India, New Delhi Visa Office will send communication to folks with expired COPR for re-issuing of new COPR and visa. Same they had posted on their Facebook page months back.

So your wife's file getting transferred to New Delhi is not surprising.

Reactions: Canaspirant xyz

Amit k

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
As per my understanding, whenever VFS office opens and commercial international flights start in India, New Delhi Visa Office will send communication to folks with expired COPR for re-issuing of new COPR and visa. Same they had posted on their Facebook page months back.

So your wife's file getting transferred to New Delhi is not surprising.
Okay, thanks. So in that case I won't send the webform to Delhi now.

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hello Friends,
I need an Urgent Help, if you can help please.
I got my COPR along with my wife and 1 year old daughter in December 2019. Medicals July 2019.
Our COPR expiring in July 2020. & we haven't flown till now for soft landing or anything. Then Covid19 happened in March, and I was really scared to travel with a kid.
So, I am really worried what will happen to my COPR? I checked CIC site, it states if you not able to travel due to Covid19, please raise web form. Don't know what is the use of that?
Can you please help me as to what is the best alternative available for me right now,
Even though Flights resume operations in July 2020, i will be scared to go on a such a long journey with a kid especially in this condition.

Can you please respond on this? I will be happy to provide any more information if you require to answer this? Thanks in advance.

I got response to above query from a senior member that I need to raise a webform for this. @pumpkin_latte

Relax Jatin Bhai you are not alone in this. If you are unwilling to travel within validity of your CoPR then raise a webform and ask for extension. It is as simple as that. Make sure to mention why you are unwilling to travel at this time. IRCC is not penalizing anyone who are not able to travel within their CoPR validity.

Emperor3xK

May 27, 2020
Hi Team, I have an urgent question.
Background - I am the primary applicant, with dependents being my wife and Son.
Situation - I am travelling to Ontario from UAE this coming Wednesday. I am travelling alone and my wife and son will join me in September (when our COPR expires).

Question - Since I am travelling first, do I have to make custom declaration right now or my wife can make the declaration (based on cargo movers packing list). I ask this because I am not sure what we will be finally getting to Canada in September and dont want to disclose either less or more item during my landing, since its not confirmed.

Any help would be highly appreciated, thanks.

indpnv

Mar 16, 2018
United States
Situation - I am travelling to Ontario from UAE this coming Wednesday. I am travelling alone and my wife and son will join me in September (when our COPR expires).

Question - Since I am travelling first, do I have to make custom declaration right now or my wife can make the declaration (based on cargo movers packing list). I ask this because I am not sure what we will be finally getting to Canada in September and dont want to disclose either less or more item during my landing, since its not confirmed.

I landed last week and they didn't even ask for goods to follow, even though I declared I have unaccompanied goods.

Kodihusky

Jan 24, 2014
Has anyone received COPR recently inland? It seems like they resumed landing procedure. Would anyone kindly share what is the apprx time from sending webform and inland landing interview? if my PPR is befoer march 18th but COPR is after, can i still do flagpole? (I have heard mixed info on this part)

Thanks a lot!

peace365

Star Member
May 22, 2014
Hi,
I saw few posts regarding AVR, did anyone came back to US on H1 Visa from Canada on AVR?
Is quarantine mandatory upon arrival or you can go to visa office for Applying PR card during 14 day quarantine ?
I have valid I-94 but my visa is expired. Can I come back to US on valid I-94 by drive or I need a stamped H1 Visa too on my passport?
Also when you come back to US, do we have to again quarantine for 14 days?
Can you please share overall experience and entry back into US?

Don't know about AVR but definitely you need visa to enter US even if you have valid I94 or approved I797.
When you quarantine, you can not go anywhere for 14 days. Opening a bank account, applying for SIN should all be done after 14 days unless you do it online. There is a huge fine if you violate quarantine.
Yes, when you get back to US, you need to quarantine. Here is the guideline from CDC -
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/after-travel-precautions.html

indpnv

Mar 16, 2018
United States
Don't know about AVR but definitely you need visa to enter US even if you have valid I94 or approved I797.
When you quarantine, you can not go anywhere for 14 days. Opening a bank account, applying for SIN should all be done after 14 days unless you do it online. There is a huge fine if you violate quarantine.
Yes, when you get back to US, you need to quarantine. Here is the guideline from CDC -
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/after-travel-precautions.html
Not necessarily true about the first part, You don't need a valid visa (I.e.; expired visa works) to enter the US if you've been to Canada, Mexico or some Caribbean countries (depends on the visa for the last one) for less than 30 days . All you need is the proof of valid status - i94 etc. That's the whole AVR thing.
Also, the CDC thing is a guidance and is not enforced.

BECA RCIC

May 27, 2020
Vancouver
Category........
Other

I believe you have a year to declare goods to follow. but you have to let custom know when you land that you are planning to provide the list in future.

Reactions: hinavin

peace365

Star Member
May 22, 2014
Not necessarily true about the first part, You don't need a valid visa (I.e.; expired visa works) to enter the US if you've been to Canada, Mexico or some Caribbean countries (depends on the visa for the last one) for less than 30 days . All you need is the proof of valid status - i94 etc. That's the whole AVR thing.
Also, the CDC thing is a guidance and is not enforced.
Thank you indpnv for correcting me. I was of the opinion that we need visa to enter US once we cross the border irrespective of i94 status.

Rocky149

Mar 17, 2019
The instructions on the letter weren't clear enough. I sent a webform with the same questions as yours, and the answer was "to consult the PR letter". So, based on my interpretation of my PR letter here is what I did:

1. I signed and dated the IRCC copy of CoPR.
2. I only send IRCC copy, mainly because we need CoPR for a citizenship application in the future.
3. I sent an extra copy of the same photo with my name and UCI on the back.

According to Canada Post, the documents were already delivered. I linked the PR card application to my IRCC account and there is no update on it.
Hello ,

May I know if you have received your PR card?

Reactions: cjas