+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
I don't understand what's happening with people here. The guy has a PR visa, he is allowed to travel to Canada regardless. What does does non-essential, land vs. air, and officers mood has to do with anything?

Yes you can complete your landing in the 5 hours you will transit in Canada. No one will stop you. The airline will see you have a PR visa, CBSA in Canada will stamp your passport for landing ask you to isolate and at that point you will tell them you are flying back to the US and returning at a later time. If they ask why you did your landing now you just tell them you didn't want to have your PR visa expired and that you aren't ready to move now due to the whole situation.
As per current situation, do you know by telling CBSA officer that you are here just for soft landing [you didn't want to have your PR visa expired] could make things worse? Every person that is landing in Canada or anywhere is a potential corona virus carrier. Do you think forcing a mandatory quarantine for 14 days by Govt is some kind of joke they are playing? Please don't give such advise if you are not 100% sure about it. It's a request. When there is CoPR extension in place and same thing is also mentioned in 2 emails sent by IRCC to Approved CoPR holders then why to take a risk in finding ways which look similar to soft landing.

SarunasB

Oct 30, 2019
As per current situation, do you know by telling CBSA officer that you are here just for soft landing [you didn't want to have your PR visa expired] could make things worse? Every person that is landing in Canada or anywhere is a potential corona virus carrier. Do you think forcing a mandatory quarantine for 14 days by Govt is some kind of joke they are playing? Please don't give such advise if you are not 100% sure about it. It's a request. When there is CoPR extension in place and same thing is also mentioned in 2 emails sent by IRCC to Approved CoPR holders then why to take a risk in finding ways which look similar to soft landing.
The emails you are referring to Actually say that you should continue to make plans to land in canada in 2020 and thats what the OP is doing.

“If your PR application was approved before or on March 18, 2020, you are allowed to travel to Canada. Please read about the public health measures below. If circumstances allow, we encourage you to continue to make plans to land in Canada in 2020.“

They do not specify the length of stay required

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
I got this general response from ircc today.Nothing specific I think.

"We have received your request to extend the duration within which you can confirm your status as a permanent resident. Please be assured that your application will not be refused if you are unable or unwilling to travel as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

If the situation is resolved and you are able to travel within the existing validity of your documents, you may do so. Otherwise, once you and your family members are able to travel, please notify us through the IRCCWeb form. At that time, IRCC will respond with the most up to date information we have on next steps.

We invite you to visit our website to get the most up-to-date information on how the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is affecting immigration, refugees, citizenship and passport services:"

So it means when we inform them that we are able to travel then they will tell us the next steps . Does it mean we are not going to get any med extension before we are able to travel again?

Gayathri Neelakandan

Apr 6, 2020

"We have received your request to extend the duration within which you can confirm your status as a permanent resident. Please be assured that your application will not be refused if you are unable or unwilling to travel as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

If the situation is resolved and you are able to travel within the existing validity of your documents, you may do so. Otherwise, once you and your family members are able to travel, please notify us through the IRCCWeb form. At that time, IRCC will respond with the most up to date information we have on next steps.

We invite you to visit our website to get the most up-to-date information on how the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is affecting immigration, refugees, citizenship and passport services:"

So it means when we inform them that we are able to travel then they will tell us the next steps . Does it mean we are not going to get any med extension before we are able to travel again?
Is this for the webform that you have raised or mail

Serendipity14

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-08-2014
Hi, Im in the same situation with you. Just wondering that where do we need to send the picture for PR card, the IRCC Ottawa (which issues the CoPR) or the IRCC office where we schedule our previous landing interview?
The attachment states to send the documents to address listed above.

PriyaSi

Dec 18, 2019
That's why I said if officer was having good day otherwise they have denied permission to others who were immediate family members though they're exempted.
Rest, go ahead and let others know how it goes.
I sent an email to CBSA inquiring if I will be allowed enter. I am relocating permanently from the US..even exporting my car. CBSA replied saying that they cannot advise on personal situations but their job is to implement IRCC policies and they will do so. So, I am just keeping my fingers crossed and will be carrying their email response and IRCC exemptions page when I cross the border. Also, they would not be able to turn me away since my US visa is expired. I was supposed to move in March but under Covid situations, decided to stay. I can't hold it any longer.

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Is this for the webform that you have raised or mail
BTW it's the same / similar email most (if not all) CoPR holders have been receiving.

Irrespective of whether an email or webform has been generated by applicant. Someone here also reported he/she had not initiated any communication and still received the email.

Last edited:

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Some ppl here were thinking of taking the special evacuation flights from India .So acc to their criteria u must have one year old visa of that country . Secondly I came across a video of Air India in which all seats are packed though they have taken 3 times charge giving excuse of social distancing.But no seats were kept empty.So be careful.

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
The emails you are referring to Actually say that you should continue to make plans to land in canada in 2020 and thats what the OP is doing.

“If your PR application was approved before or on March 18, 2020, you are allowed to travel to Canada. Please read about the public health measures below. If circumstances allow, we encourage you to continue to make plans to land in Canada in 2020.“

They do not specify the length of stay required
Yes, they will not mention it as they are not expecting people to come and go. There is a 14 days mandatory quarantine once you land in Canada. CoPR issued before or on March 18 are exempted from travel restrictions that are in place but they are not exempted from self quarantine rule. If you are just landing for PR status and want to take U turn then I personally wont recommend it at least during this crisis situation. Rest its your decision as its your CoPR.

M160RA

Star Member
Apr 5, 2020

Good question. Is anyone in a situation to inform IRCC that they are able to travel now?
AFAIK there is only one chap who got his IME extended by IRCC Hong Kong.

Farahnaz11

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2019
App. Filed.......
March 08 2019
AOR Received.
April 10 2019
Med's Request
May 1 2019
Med's Done....
May 6 2019
Good question. Is anyone in a situation to inform IRCC that they are able to travel now?
AFAIK there is only one chap who got his IME extended by IRCC Hong Kong.
Waiting for India to lift up the lockdown and then I will send them webform to make sure travels are open and vfs are open as well