+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
That raises another question.

I am a valid US Visa holder attempting a soft landing in Canada. If somehow the landing formalities are completed and a U-turn is possible (assuming that the 14 day quarantine does not apply), is DHS going to allow people back into the US?

Hoping someone has an answer to this.
There are lots of comments in this thread about people including myself trying to get a clear picture. There has been no clear picture.
You can try calling CBP and add what you find out to the thread :)

Based on my conversations with CBP :

1. If you have a valid visa you can travel via air without issues.
2. Land border seems to vary based on port of entry. When I spoke with Detroit POE they said they will allow work visas to enter, but main CBP helpline seemed unwilling.

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Hello All,

I too have similar questions regarding sift landing in these times. I have attempted to contact CIC using their web form with the following questions. However, I only got some general replies with links to various pages. These links don't clearly answer my specific questions.

I stay close to the Niagara land border in the US. My CoPR is valid until May 27th, 2020. Can I,

1) Simply drive down to the land border with all the necessary documents and finish the PR/stamping process?
2) Make a U-turn right after the stamping and return to the USA?

I saw a notice on the CIC website stating that people who enter Canada must prepare for a 14 day quarantine. Does this still apply if we plan to return immediately after stamping is done (as stated in 2)?

Considering all this, is it best to simply extend the CoPR deadline?

Your help is appreciated!!

Thanks.
From what I understand, soft landing is not allowed at this time. They have a rule now of 14 day quarantine for anyone entering Canada so I am doubtful you will be allowed to U-turn at the border. Come prepared with a plan before trying out your luck at the border.

rohan2now

May 3, 2020
From what I understand, soft landing is not allowed at this time. They have a rule now of 14 day quarantine for anyone entering Canada so I am doubtful you will be allowed to U-turn at the border. Come prepared with a plan before trying out your luck at the border.
Basically what I am gathering is that soft landing (landing temporarily with no intent of permanent stay) is unessential and therefore not encouraged.

Therefore, if we do end up at the border, we have to continue into Canada and stay for at least 14 days in isolation.

I am now considering a CoPR extension. However, in what way should I phrase this concern to obtain an extension? It is a bit disingenuous to say that the inability to do soft landing is a reason for extension right???

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hello All,

I too have similar questions regarding sift landing in these times. I have attempted to contact CIC using their web form with the following questions. However, I only got some general replies with links to various pages. These links don't clearly answer my specific questions.

I stay close to the Niagara land border in the US. My CoPR is valid until May 27th, 2020. Can I,

1) Simply drive down to the land border with all the necessary documents and finish the PR/stamping process?
2) Make a U-turn right after the stamping and return to the USA?

I saw a notice on the CIC website stating that people who enter Canada must prepare for a 14 day quarantine. Does this still apply if we plan to return immediately after stamping is done (as stated in 2)?

Considering all this, is it best to simply extend the CoPR deadline?

Your help is appreciated!!

Thanks.
I personally think that soft landing is not encouraged at this time especially the U turn thing. Its your decision to make and I believe if someone advises you to do soft landing other then IRCC itself then it is a risk. You may be lucky or may not be.

rohan2now

May 3, 2020
Hello all,

Thanks for the information. It seems like its best not to take chances with soft landings under the current circumstances.

I am going to attempt to obtain an extension on the application using the Web Form. Is this the same web form used for general queries? Furthermore, how do we phrase this concern to IRCC in order to get an extension?

It seems like non-essential travel is banned i.e soft landings (using CoPR) but a regular entry (using CoPR) is still acceptable (as long as quarantine measures are followed).

Both these actions require CoPR but one action is essential and one is not.

Because a soft landing falls under the non-essential category (which is what some of us intend to do at this time) can we use this as a reason for extension?

*Edit: Summary: Can we state that the lack of soft landing option is the reason for extension requests?

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Hello all,

Thanks for the information. It seems like its best not to take chances with soft landings under the current circumstances.

I am going to attempt to obtain an extension on the application using the Web Form. Is this the same web form used for general queries? Furthermore, how do we phrase this concern to IRCC in order to get an extension?

It seems like non-essential travel is banned i.e soft landings (using CoPR) but a regular entry (using CoPR) is still acceptable (as long as quarantine measures are followed).

Because a soft landing falls under the non-essential category (which is what some of us intend to do at this time) can we use this as a reason for extension?

*Edit: Summary: Can we state that the lack of soft landing option is the reason for extension requests?
Just say that due to Covid19 you are not comfortable traveling due to risk to family members, cannot get movers to ship your items due to lockdown, hence could not move. That should suffice, I am sure they will understand. Don't mention "soft landing", no point and there is no official idea of "soft landing".

Reactions: SithLord

raxx.cater

Star Member
Sep 21, 2019
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-05-2019
Doc's Request.
08-01-2020
AOR Received.
30-05-2019
Med's Done....
24-05-2019
Passport Req..
04-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2020
LANDED..........
14-05-2020
Hello all,

As @ryeCatcher mentioned, Soft-Landing is not an official term. You applied for Permanent Residency for which you are approved and they expected you to settle permanently. But if you state a reason that you had an intention to return back after activating a PR, then it will not justify the case for extension. The only reason they want to hear right now is that Covid-19 somehow impacted your travel plans.

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Basically what I am gathering is that soft landing (landing temporarily with no intent of permanent stay) is unessential and therefore not encouraged.

Therefore, if we do end up at the border, we have to continue into Canada and stay for at least 14 days in isolation.

I am now considering a CoPR extension. However, in what way should I phrase this concern to obtain an extension? It is a bit disingenuous to say that the inability to do soft landing is a reason for extension right???
You can get an extension based on unwillingness to travel.

CIC website now states that those who are unable or unwilling to travel can inform them through web form for extension.

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Just say that due to Covid19 you are not comfortable traveling due to risk to family members, cannot get movers to ship your items due to lockdown, hence could not move. That should suffice, I am sure they will understand. Don't mention "soft landing", no point and there is no official idea of "soft landing".
@rohan2now I would follow this advise.

There is no official term for "Soft-Landing". So as long as you don't use that word and come up with a valid reason you should be okay. The situation is bad all over the world, so Canadian authorities will definitely understand.. Don't worry!!

Reactions: nkv2411

niko80

Apr 21, 2014
You can get an extension based on unwillingness to travel.

CIC website now states that those who are unable or unwilling to travel can inform them through web form for extension.
yes, but it seems that they will require valid medical exam, police certificate and security check

Farahnaz11

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2019
App. Filed.......
March 08 2019
AOR Received.
April 10 2019
Med's Request
May 1 2019
Med's Done....
May 6 2019

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
yes, but it seems that they will require valid medical exam, police certificate and security check
Why would they require police certificate and security checks again when they had already approved your case? The only document that will be reassessed will be your medicals.

"Identified applications with an original M1 or M3 decision will be proactively reassessed for an additional 6 months. "

If you fall under one of these two categories you will be extendedd.

M1 - No public health risk or danger, no public safety danger and no excessive demand
M3 - A health condition(s) is present but is not expected to place an excessive demand on health or social services.

M160RA

Star Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi

Everyone is referencing this link when talking about the 6 months extension.

IRCC states "The Migration Health Branch will continuously identify all applications where the applicant is residing abroad and their medical results will expire in the coming 4 to 8 weeks"

• Does this mean medicals expiring within the next two months?
  • Medicals expiring after 4 weeks and before 8 weeks?
My medical expires on May 12. Would I be eligible?

Reactions: Farahnaz11